Weeks of searching, Just Iron. Where is the coinage?

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These photos show what was found minus all the cans and tabs found as normal. Mostly Iron as usual. I like to call it history though. Saturday was the slowest day yet. But I have combed this property for weeks and basically Iron is all I am finding. I only found one (1) coin so far and it was a clad 1967 Dime. I just cant believe there is no old copper or silver coins. Granted I have only covered about 5% of the property. I guess I need encouragement or something. This area should have coins due to the fact it was settled in late 1700's and last occupied in early 1900's. Farming continues til this day in certain areas. I have found all sorts of farming relics but I just cant locate any indication money was ever in the area. With all this said don't get me wrong. I have a blast hunting this area with my wife. Lots of interesting finds but if I could find an old coin it would give me hope for more than just rust and shotgun shells, LOL. Rant over!

IMG_20170423_202427132.jpg Black Snake.jpg Ideas.jpg IMG_20170423_202516877.jpg IMG_20170423_202537096.jpg Shells.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop annoying the snake. He'll lead you to the coins. Does he have a name? Coins have to be there somewhere.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Coins have to be there somewhere.

I tell myself the same thing.

@retired fire - have you done any air or ground tests at home with silver coin targets to be sure you've got the right approach?

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell myself the same thing.

@retired fire - have you done any air or ground tests at home with silver coin targets to be sure you've got the right approach?

I did do some test when I first got the Ace 400. I was thinking that maybe I should do it again to refresh my approach now that I have more experience with the machine. Your comment has reinforced that idea so I will give it another go. Thanks!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
If you haven't did this already, look for the biggest trees on the property and hunt under them. Chances are good they were there when the property was occupied, and they may have sat under that tree for shade. If you can find old paths that led to the house or ones they traveled, that might be a producer as well. Look for trash pits as well where the old outhouse used to be. If you find it, and you know where a house was, detect in a line towards the house. When people went to the outhouse they would walk as straight a line as possible to get there.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at the site from above. Google Earth might reveal an older structure's footprint or old road. You will be hard pressed to find coins, just in a plowed field randomly. They are usually there because a structure was there, that has long since disappeared... usually leaving an iron spot that can be found with the detector. Working the iron, will sometimes reveal the treasure.

Perhaps you saw my threads from last weeks hunts in NJ/NY. I had a little success hunting old farm fields.

Don't hesitate to PM me, if there is anything that I can do for you.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is relatively easy to "see" the old houses that are now in plowed fields. Look for old shards of china, spoons, old pieces of home implements, small pieces of wood or cloth. Sometimes you can even see the slight rise in the field where the dwelling foundation was! Go to the hardware store and buy a bunch of those flags (orange or pink) on a wire. Plant them in every spot you find the iron. They may show a pattern leading you to find where the dwellings were. The Clorox cap and some of the iron stuff may have come from a dwelling location. TTC

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread