Just pulled the trigger on a Tesoro!

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It will be my first Tesoro detector, so I figured something reasonably-priced and in a handy size would be a safe bet. Soon to be swinging the Compadre with the 5.75" coil! It was not much more expensive than a sniper coil for my White's, so I figured I would kill two birds with one stone: Trash-defying coil size and renowned Tesoro performance. I can't wait!8-)

Upvote 0

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! I have an older one with the 7 inch coil. Love it and take it everywhere.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are going to be amazed - and Hooked! Good luck and Big Gold! :icon_thumleft:

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Tesoro club.

OP
OP
DiamondDan

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, guys. Miht be a bit longer than I thought before I have my new machine..... Bart didn't have any in stock, and after a horrible customer service experience with Kellyco this morning, I'm still looking for one.:BangHead:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, keep us informed I'm curious to see how you do, because I'm planning on buying one this spring but it seems I can't make a decision.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Fort Bedford Detectors a call.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Something I wrote in reply to another hunter just entering the hobby with a Compadre about 6 years ago that some thought has been helpful over the years.
The one page Compadre "manual" is...lacking.
He had a question about use and discrimination.

Here is where metals will show up on your dial.
Forget the numbers, just study their locations.

scale (1).jpg

The way you figure out what you are digging before you dig it, which is never 100% by the way, is to "thumb" that disc knob and figure out where the metals in the range you see in the picture go away or "disc out".

*Tip*....It is more accurate to turn the knob way up and then turn it down slowly as you are swinging over the target while listening to exactly how it sounds when it "comes in" and stop at the area where you hear the most solid tone than to turn it up until it fades out.

Now you have done this and lets say it was silent till you got to the zinc mark.
Now you have a clue, and this hobby is all about taking all your clues and putting them together to make an educated guess.
From studying the picture, you remember that this zinc area should sound off if you have a zinc cent or other zinc item, an Indian head cent, a screw-cap or gold.
Might be some other things like can slaw, but it could be one of the first four, too.
Maybe you want to leave it on that disc area or even switch to all metal now for the loudest, clearest signal and run your coil around the target area and try to size the target.
Where does the tone sound loudest and then fade out?
Hit it from a different angle and try to get a picture in your mind on how big it is...coin size, maybe a little bigger?
In all metal or turning it back below zinc on the disc knob, how loud does it sound when you scan it?
Really loud, maybe medium loud or softer?
This gives you a clue on the depth.
Another depth trick is lift the coil and swing over it.
Do you lose it at 3 inches above the ground, 4-5?
If you know your limit of your detector, and subtract the height of your coil above the target where it goes silent, this can give you approximate depth.

Now you decide to whip your coil over the target real fast and see if the tones stay solid from all angles or breaks up as you slowly lift the coil higher.
If it breaks up it could be trash, if not, still might be a good target.

All of these techniques and even more that we use are aimed to give you clues, and those clues will lead you to an educated guess and that will lead you to digging a hole...or not.

As you put in your time, you also start to hear slight differences in that tone.
A zinc cent might sound very solid and full, has sharp distinct ends to that tone and sounds the same all the way through, but a screw-cap might not sound so full.
Maybe you noticed after locating and scanning hundreds of these that a screw-cap doesn't stay full, but maybe breaks a little right at the end.
It gets a little fuzzy or has many pops, clicks or buzzes as you dial down.
You never could tell the difference at the beginning, but now, after much practice, you can hear that difference, and so you have another good clue as to what you might have sitting in the ground below you.

Solid tone, rings true, no breaking of the signal, small like a coin, really loud tone, can raise the coil pretty high before it fades out...I think this is a zinc cent that is about 1 inch down...then you dig it...and it is.
Or maybe not, like I said, not 100% in this hobby...ever...but you cut your odds down some on digging trash, and you made a good guess.

It's a process.
As you progress your guesses get better.

The universe must be laughing at us that do this hobby because it made so many bad things ring up in the same areas as so many good things.
Aluminum hangs out where the high tone coins do.
Nickels and gold live in the same neighborhood as do some partial pull tabs and other trash...as a matter of fact, gold seems to live in almost all the neighborhoods.
Nobody is perfect, we all dig lots of trash, but the better you get the less trash you dig and the more treasure you find.

Study the picture, know your metals and where they line up in relation to your disc knob then practice, practice practice.
Really listen and try to remember that tone you hear before you dig a target, then remember what target you dug after that specific tone.
It takes time for your instincts to kick in and this stuff becomes second nature, but it will eventually happen.
Once you dig enough holes.

That's how I do it.

***EDIT***

Make sure Y'all scroll down to Slingshot's post # 15 on settings for coin and jewelry hunting that are much more specific than what you just read here.
You can't get any better advice than this!

And some good advice on how another hunter successfully uses his...

Wow! I really feel helpless trying to follow up on that post! With my Compadre, setting the dial on the "i" in iron gets rid of paper clips, small nails and still picks up small gold chains, earrings AND teeny foil, FRAGMENTS of tabs, and just about any other tidbit.:lol: Moving it to the "r" in iron gets rid of larger nails, bolts and the gold chains start to get a little fainter, although the teeny foil is still bothersome. Between "iron" and "foil" is where the tiny gold chains and teeny foil are no longer bothersome? and the larger foil and all other coins are still found and I feel is the perfect "coin" hunting setting because the gold rings down to tiny ones are easily found. If you aren't worried about the tiny stuff, I take a regular-sized piece of foil and set the disc to where the foil breaks up and this would be THE setting for coinshooters and the rings are still there-just some tiny ones may break up like the foil. Any higher than this is just flirting with disaster as far as gold is concerned. I HAVE set it to where tabs "crackle" and just hunted for all coins except the nickel in some horrendous places and had a ball-even brought back memories of the old days. To answer your last question: This is the order in which targets no longer give a signal as the discrimination is increased-and if I'm assuming you didn't know this, please forgive: iron, foil, nickel, pulltabs, coins above nickel. I no longer go above foil. Also, most Tesoros will not omit the higher coins at any setting.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread