New permission, old cemetery. How would you approach this area?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not asking about hunting the cemetery. I am asking about how to interpret a potential home site or recreation site in which a cemetery happens to be the only thing left.

Got permission at a site yesterday that might hold some promise. A coworker told me about an area on some property he has been deer hunting for the past 25 years and got me in touch with the owner. Basically it's an old, Civil War era cemetery with about ten or twelve marked graves in the middle of the woods on top of a hill not near anything. There's a small dirt access road that goes in the general vicinity of this cemetery, but it's not like it goes TO it, meaning I think it was added later on after the cemetery was forgotten. I haven't been there yet, but I get the impression that it may have been a family cemetery because of the size and because I don't think there was ever a church anywhere nearby.

How far away would any houses likely have been? There is an 1885 house on the property but it's a good half mile away, and the cemetery predates it by a bit. I THINK there may have been a previous house adjacent to the one that's there, but again, it's half a mile away, which makes me wonder if there's another site I haven't found yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread