Sunglasses + Headphones + Hat = Headache; Am I alone?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I have an issue. When I wear my hat, sunglasses, and headphones at the same time it hurts my head after an hour or so. Like it's squeezing too much on the sides of my head above my ears.

All of the items when worn alone are comfortable. When I wear any of the two items together in any combination, it's comfortable. Add all three together and I get an hour, maybe two, before I have to take a good long break.

The problem is, I need all three.

I have improved the quality of each item to the most comfortable I have ever had in their own respective rights. All day comfort.... Until combined.

I'm sitting here thinking of ways to try and make my sunglasses work without the arms...

When I go out hunting it's usually for 6-8 hours and I need to make this work somehow.

Am I alone on this?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet something like this would solve the problem as it's the arms of the glasses that is the issue.
Looks like a cool idea. Only problem I can see is them filling up with sweat. Not to mention it's just not the look I would be going for! :tongue3: Add a straw hat and you'd have people trying to figure out if you're a tourist or a loony toons.:laughing7: Now that I think that look might keep the lookie loos away! Might try it just for giggles!

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug through everything I own in search of my Wiley X's... Apparently I no longer have them.

I have used ear buds, and still do occasionally, with my Deus but I prefer the Headphones that I custom made using Howard Leight ear defenders. The sound of ear buds is thin and hollow. With the Deus being a sound oriented machine, it takes away from the experience IMHO.

I'll take a look at some smaller wire frame sunglasses. All of the sunglasses I currently own are oakley type with plastic frames/earpieces.

We hunted for about 7 hours yesterday. I moved the positioning of the stems around about every hour or so but by the end of the day, there was no comfortable position.

The search continues..

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always found the Oakleys like wearing a Buick. Always uncomfortable. My sunglasses have a thin wire/style temple that are very good at zero headaches.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to put a cup holder on the back to hold a beer or soda! Remember! You need to stay hydrated!!

I've tested this theory...thoroughly.... I've never ended up feeling hydrated when all is said and done.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've tested this theory...thoroughly.... I've never ended up feeling hydrated when all is said and done.
You're just not trying hard enough! :tongue3: How about putting some straps on a mini keg like a back pack? Some of us just need more to hydrate our old tired out shriveled up carcasses! :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sunglasses have a hinge in the middle of each arm. They are called a Nautica "Passport" frame. I didn't buy them for the express purpose of comfort. Frankly they can be a little pain when the hinges get loose and flop around a little bit but I guess they are a little comfortable because they can flex a little bit at the hinge point.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the ©Optigrab will take the pressure off your ears?

optigrab.jpg

mag315

Greenie
Apr 21, 2015
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Master Hunter 7,
Whites Goldmaster 66TR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try drinking more water, you might be getting dehydrated.

FLORIDA KEYS PIRATE

Mar 29, 2016
Inverness FL.
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry a bottle of Gatorade so you're not dehydrated. I put a rubber tubing glasses neck lanyard thing from Walmart fishing section on my shades in case they fall off. Then slightly loosen your ball cap. Then put on the cap first , then I put my sunglasses on with the arms up on the OUTSIDE of my ball cap. Usually works out great !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread