Sunglasses + Headphones + Hat = Headache; Am I alone?

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Garrett Infinium LS, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I have an issue. When I wear my hat, sunglasses, and headphones at the same time it hurts my head after an hour or so. Like it's squeezing too much on the sides of my head above my ears.

All of the items when worn alone are comfortable. When I wear any of the two items together in any combination, it's comfortable. Add all three together and I get an hour, maybe two, before I have to take a good long break.

The problem is, I need all three.

I have improved the quality of each item to the most comfortable I have ever had in their own respective rights. All day comfort.... Until combined.

I'm sitting here thinking of ways to try and make my sunglasses work without the arms...

When I go out hunting it's usually for 6-8 hours and I need to make this work somehow.

Am I alone on this?
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... I'm fine with the hat and headphones forever... but add the sunglasses and over time I will get a headache. Even though the glasses are comfortable, alone the same thing will happen if I have them on long enough. So my situation makes a little more sense than yours if any combination of two is ok.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to wear glasses, then the hat and headphones. Never had a problem. How about ear buds instead of phones? Might help.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ear buds work but I don't like them. I prefer my over ear headphones, much better for concentration IMHO.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother had a pair of glasses on a lanyard/necklace that "somehow" managed to stay on her nose without any ear-rails on the glasses at all. She wore them all the time and they always seemed to stay in place. Not sure how?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only thing that bugs me is when my Headphones slip Back,
and the Visor on my Cap slips Front and over my eyes.& I have to stop & remove my Headphones to adjust my Cap.

I wear Glasses, But not sun Glasses .
I only add Sun glasses in the winter to avoid snow blindness

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother had a pair of glasses on a lanyard/necklace that "somehow" managed to stay on her nose without any ear-rails on the glasses at all. She wore them all the time and they always seemed to stay in place. Not sure how?
As soon as you said that I thought of Morpheous in The Matrix! Always wondered if they glued little magnets in his nostrils or what?

If you don't mind modifying your sunglasses, try this! Cut the arms off just in front of your temples about 1/2. Add those nifty sunglass holders that are made out of wet suit material. They'll slide up what's left of the frame to tighten. It's comfortable, even adds a little padding. Works good if you're out somewhere and break the arm on your glasses too. The other alternative is using the sunglasses that only have a tiny wire for the arm. Haven't seen those around for awhile so not too sure if they're still made. Hope that gives you some ideas!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only thing that bugs me is when my Headphones slip Back,
and the Visor on my Cap slips Front and over my eyes.& I have to stop & remove my Headphones to adjust my Cap
Jeff, have you thought of putting a small square of Velcro on the band of your phones & the other side on the top of your cap?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, have you thought of putting a small square of Velcro on the band of your phones & the other side on the top of your cap?

lol no :tongue3: that would be an interesting look though :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet something like this would solve the problem as it's the arms of the glasses that is the issue.

Attachments

• wll-1103_1z.jpg
    wll-1103_1z.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 85
  • opplanet-wileyx-sunglasses-sg-1-2.jpg
    opplanet-wileyx-sunglasses-sg-1-2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 72

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do not where sunglasses, the brim on my ball cap keeps the sun out of my eyes since I am continually looking down where my coil is swinging and an occasional glance to the VDI. I think the only place I would want sunglasses is when I am water hunting at the beach to keep the sun glare from the water from blinding me, but then I would not be wearing a ball cap. SO all in all I only use 2 at a time instead of 3 like you.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cocking the stems at an upwards angle may help ,,, Tough to see the hat as being a factor unless its too tight.
I often have to wear a hardhat and safety glasses on jobs, sometimes the combo causes a headache when the temples get pinched over a prolonged period. Not much to be done about it in my case as safety gear is mandatory.

OP
OP
Rothman

Rothman

Jun 30, 2015
SW Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet something like this would solve the problem as it's the arms of the glasses that is the issue.

That's a great idea! I have a set of Wiley's that were issued to me years ago with a strap like that. Now I need to dig through some of my old gear...

I do remember them fogging up and making my eye sockets sweat (they have a foam seal thing that goes around the eyes). That was in 135 degree heat though.

I hope I can find them.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earbuds and a motorcycle helmet with tinted face shield should do just fine.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could take your sunglasses to an optical shop and have them reshape them so that the headphones do not press against them. Or get another pair that sits differently or has a different length stem.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a seeing eye dog and then you can keep your eyes closed and your ears open. eliminates on problem

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Earbuds = problem solved. Otherwise yea I used to have the same problem when I used my Excal/CZ21 but now on my CTX I can wear any hat/sunglasses combo I want. On certain machines ear buds could cause you to miss targets.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rothman,
I hear ya!
Well, my suggestion is modify the headphone set-up, where the kind of headphones are a pair that sit BEHIND the head, and rest lightly over your ears, like a pair of glasses...I use Philips SHS5200 that has a very forgiving cord - you'll like 'em - MUCH cooler than those traditional headphones you see used. I know it will be another item resting on your ears, but you won't mind - TRUST ME!

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
I wear my glasses with sun glass attachment that is magnet onto my glasses .. Yep it works great with my hat, headphones, only problem is if someone comes up behind me and touches me, well they usually scare the beegeesus out of me .. :laughing7:

I was told those one that are fit to your nose were about 900.00 2 years ago. Mighty expensive eye glasses if ya lose em..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread