We Lost An Entire Beach

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever had this happen to you.....you arrive at a random place to discover that it is loaded with targets but that you're ill-equipped to hunt it effectively so you leave thinking that you'll return there someday better equipped. Now, several years later you're trying to remember where that place was and you can't seem to find it again. Try as we have Mike and I just can't remember where that little beach was at? Must be getting old, I guess. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried google earth? Might jog your memory :coffee2:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a GPS last fall and have been marking good finds ever since. I haven't lost a beach yet.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like its time for a ctx i think there is a program that makes it have excaliber tones

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like its time for a ctx i think there is a program that makes it have excaliber tones

That's a pretty expensive GPS.....:laughing7:.....(I know where there's a few used CTX's for sale if you're interested?)

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad...

I know a guy who's "huge lead bar" that he found while fishing in the keys...
that sat for 2 years on his dock...
turned out to be a silver ingot.

When told what he really had... he cannot remember where the PILE of them was.

He's been searching ever since.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a pretty expensive GPS.....:laughing7:.....(I know where there's a few used CTX's for sale if you're interested?)
I might be not share if it would be smart however to get something that pricey without a warranty but I know some have a transferable one .thanks bigscoop

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might be not share if it would be smart however to get something that pricey without a warranty but I know some have a transferable one .thanks bigscoop

Very pricey, indeed. Before I spend that kind of money on any machine it would have to find the gold for me......:laughing7:......as it is, we still have to find it, all the machine does is confirms that's it's there. Everything else is just bell & whistles.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In one word, Yes.

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very pricey, indeed. Before I spend that kind of money on any machine it would have to find the gold for me......:laughing7:......as it is, we still have to find it, all the machine does is confirms that's it's there. Everything else is just bell & whistles.
Yep I have a se pro and a excal but its the bells and whistles that I am most interested in share the machines I have will find as much but I like toys yes!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep I have a se pro and a excal but its the bells and whistles that I am most interested in share the machines I have will find as much but I like toys yes!!

Just imagine in today's world being a manufacturer trying to design a machine. I mean, there are so many wants & dis-wants depending on each detectorist personal desires and budget it would be a pretty tough task, yet at the working end of the machine there's only just so much that a manufacture can provide, the very best of all these additional features only adding additional cost.

I've been looking at other machines, primarily a good land machine but cost VS features, many of them undesired and of little working end help that I just can't see paying for features that will never come into play for me. On the other hand, trying to find a quality detector at an affordable price that only offers just the features I desire is like trying to pick the longest toothpick from the box, not to mention that many of these skimp at the working end.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of several spots that are always good but now in my old age I am unable to hunt them.:BangHead:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of several spots that are always good but now in my old age I am unable to hunt them.:BangHead:

I hunted a steep hillside the other day for a couple of hours, up and back down, up and back down, not to mention kneeling on that hillside to recover targets. At the end of the day I felt a little disjointed in a few places......:laughing7:

Altitudes, since my heart surgery I really feel the sudden pressure of higher altitudes in my chest. Sort of freaks me out a little......:laughing7:

tlane38003

Jan 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just imagine in today's world being a manufacturer trying to design a machine. I mean, there are so many wants & dis-wants depending on each detectorist personal desires and budget it would be a pretty tough task, yet at the working end of the machine there's only just so much that a manufacture can provide, the very best of all these additional features only adding additional cost.

I've been looking at other machines, primarily a good land machine but cost VS features, many of them undesired and of little working end help that I just can't see paying for features that will never come into play for me. On the other hand, trying to find a quality detector at an affordable price that only offers just the features I desire is like trying to pick the longest toothpick from the box, not to mention that many of these skimp at the working end.
Thanks for you thoughts bigscoop I got to use a f75 for a short time recovery speed was awesome but I found it to be a chatter box (imho) recovery speed is defiantly one of the things that most interest me in the ctx as well as the other features only turn of for me is cost but detecting seems to be a very inexpensive hobby in comparison to other hobbies I also am a competition bulls-eye shooter and that is way more costly and will probly never make me any money all my detectors have payed for themselves happy hunts and sorry to hear about you heart problems

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered the F-75 just for that recovery speed you mentioned, dealing with "a lot" of "really trashy" areas and I was curious how it might perform with a small coil in all of that trash? I really wish Fisher would produce a Cz-20/21 with interchangeable coils, if they would I'd own it! :laughing7:

Rocklander

Mar 16, 2013
Rockland, Venango County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace350, Garrett AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the begining of 90% of the treasure stories and legends I have read. Now I know that it does actually does happen in real life! Lol! Hope you find your spot again. Good luck.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost many of things to include a beach before; however that was because of a Kayak expedition in Greece. Found a great spot, but all we had where AT Ps, I know it was a great spot because even the AT P was doing great on those salty beaches. Two months later I was working down there in the area, had my CTX and for the life of me could not narrow it down. The day we nailed that beach we had been to 5 other islands. Only one of use who had GPS said he did not even bother turning it on until we needed to at the end or the trip.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I considered the F-75 just for that recovery speed you mentioned, dealing with "a lot" of "really trashy" areas and I was curious how it might perform with a small coil in all of that trash? I really wish Fisher would produce a Cz-20/21 with interchangeable coils, if they would I'd own it! :laughing7:

Have you looked into getting a Deus? For us old farts in hilly and/or trashy areas, they hold a lot of promise. They're real light and do well in iron infested ground.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost many of things to include a beach before; however that was because of a Kayak expedition in Greece. Found a great spot, but all we had where AT Ps, I know it was a great spot because even the AT P was doing great on those salty beaches. Two months later I was working down there in the area, had my CTX and for the life of me could not narrow it down. The day we nailed that beach we had been to 5 other islands. Only one of use who had GPS said he did not even bother turning it on until we needed to at the end or the trip.

On the day we hunted that beach we had been touring up north all week, lost count of the number of places we happened onto and hunted and that was one of the beaches we hit on the way back, that way back just sort of being a, "leisurely at random route." :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread