Are VLF & PI Coils Interchangable?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"In a really basic sense, both are coils of copper wire, but the designs can be different, the electrical characteristics (inductance, resistance) are different and even the plugs are different. So if the detector is looking for a certain inductance and resistance and gets something else you can potentially fry circuits. So no, coils are not interchangeable between PIs and VLFs, even coils from VLF by different makers cannot be swapped (like a Fisher coil on a Garrett)." - Chris Ralph, Author of "Fists Full of Gold." :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At first thought you were asking. I should have known better! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, you have a stable FULL of Tesoros then, BAM, a Minelab! Is there a message here? I'm not all that familiar (sorry) with the Tesoro line but aren't there any PIs in their line? Obviously, you are covering all the bases. Question: What is the purpose for the Minelab? Balance? You, among a few others, can call yourself an Arizona expert.... home turf, so to speak, so the Minelab, I'm sure, fills a certain niche. May I ask for a critique of the pros and cons of your decision(s)? TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, you have a stable FULL of Tesoros then, BAM, a Minelab! Is there a message here? I'm not all that familiar (sorry) with the Tesoro line but aren't there any PIs in their line? Obviously, you are covering all the bases. Question: What is the purpose for the Minelab? Balance? You, among a few others, can call yourself an Arizona expert.... home turf, so to speak, so the Minelab, I'm sure, fills a certain niche. May I ask for a critique of the pros and cons of your decision(s)? TTC

Hi Terry! Yes, Tesoro does have a PI in their line, the Sand Shark, but it is really made for saltwater beach and SCUBA diving, and that is what I use it for. The Minelab GPX, and the new GPZ machines are designed specifically for gold nugget shooting - and no other detector even comes close to matching them - none.

For me it's so important to use the right machine in different types of detecting, because I don't want to waste my time and energy. I don't recommend that just anyone rush out and drop $8,000.00 on a metal detector, unless they have an honest shot at recovering their investment. I have made my money back in gold nuggets and deep silver coins with the GPZ, that were too deep for the Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, or the Tejon.

I just like to have the best "clubs" in my bag for whatever the course throws at me. :occasion14:

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tnx, T, for the reply! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread