Gold, silver, human remains and this 200 year old lady is in better shape than I am!

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting out a bit with mixed success. A friend got me permission for a huge 7.5 million dollar waterfront property from 1659. This is the kind of place I (and all of us) dream of hunting. The property is beautiful, with three private beaches and acres of farm fields that were unfortunately already sprouting. The tide was awesomely low so I hit the beach first. It was amazingly clean. There were almost no targets. One shotgun primer and some aluminum. My friends son ran up with a clear plastic bag with some grey powder in it, exclaiming, "there's a medallion in here!" I took one look and told him to put it down and that we should bury it at once. I knew exactly what it was from past digs. It was in fact a bag of cremated human remains with the cremation tag inside. I removed and photographed the tag which belongs to an 80 yr old Florida woman. We then buried her above the high tide line with a lovely view over the beach where she came to rest.
I moved on through the back yard sweeping as I went. I got a few brass bullet casings but there were very few signals. I hit under the tree swing and along walkways, all the spots that are usually productive. I worked the property for hours doing the edges of the old lane, the fields etc. I pulled up the old map and went where there had been a house on the edge of the field- nothing there. There were no goodies only one piece of copper flashing and a few brick shards to even suggest the house had stood there a century ago. There should have been bits of flashing, nails and all types of trash. I can only assume the property has been systematically detected over the years to achieve the level of clean I encountered. This gave me quite a bit of heart ache and cost me a day.
I headed down the road stopping by to detect a friends small yard. It was filled with all the iffy signals I had left last time. I did manage to pull up a 1900 V nickel in toasty but legible condition.
I pressed on and ended up working the edge of another recently planted farm field permission which had an old homestead in the middle of the field. The soil was loose and sandy and easy digging. An indian popped up and I threw it in the pouch without looking too closely at it. Come to find out its an 1872. About 30 feet away I got a large cent. This is one of the nicest Matron head large cents I have ever seen or found! It has a lot of meat on it and cleaned up really nicely too.
Next I got a nice silver hit which turned out to be a 1948 Roosie which had gotten disced by the plow and was bent to heck. After that I got a reign guide and then I was out of space since I couldn't get out in the field with the sprouts coming up. I was pleased to see the 1817 large cent and the 1872 Indian head mintage figures are approx. 4,000,000 making them somewhat scarce.
I stopped by a city park on my way home and got some clad. I got just another penny signal but as usual went for it. This 5000th penny dig turned out to be ,... a gold mens wedding band! It has some lettering and 22 inside. I am not sure about the karat but its 5.2 grams! Yay me. This is my second gold of the year but first ever park gold.
The next day I scouted a large riverside park that has suffered numerous floods. I was feeling rather encouraged when I came across this hand dug well and numerous ruins. I found native and colonial style pottery shards by the water but the river had deposited several feet of sand above the bank I was working so digging was fruitless. I was excited to find an old metal and ceramic canning jar lid but the hole only had glass in it. No cache of coins for me. Good luck and happy hunting!

Attachments

• 1817.jpg
    1817.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
  • farm.jpg
    farm.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • remains.jpg
    remains.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • well.jpg
    well.jpg