New to metal detecting, Santa Cruz

Coastie25

May 8, 2017
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone - was hoping to find a buddy to metal detect with in the Santa Cruz area. I've been successful in dry sand, but have a hard time in the wet. Run an AT Pro. I've done the ground balancing manually and automatically, and seem to get targets every few feet. Found some coins and other things, feel like I have the feel for this detector after a few days, but still honing in the skills that come with experience. Have watched a lot of videos, but think it would be nice to have someone who is a serious hunter to go with. My 1 friend I have been going with gets tired and disappointed after an hour when I'm just getting started.

Also, what do you guys do with your sand scoops? I have to hold mine behind my head so it doesn't trigger my detector. Sensitivity down? Or just come to discearn when that happens?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
welcome from Salinas, CA. 45 min. south of you. How long you been md'ing ? The beach storm wet-sand-erosion season is behind us now. By several months already. Although some pockets remained on Seabright for a month or two following the last swells. Sand (pushed out by the san lorenzo) continued to come ashore on the south side, for a month or more following.

Anyhow, it's not surprisingly if the wet sand is lame at this time of year. This last winter only had a few weeks of any really good action anyhow.

As for your sandscoop question, here's the setup I'm using. I haven't had any problem with it setting off the coil. You might recognize some of these beaches :)

As for beach erosion, here's some info (some of these links might be out of date, but .... you'll get the gist) :

MDHTALK - Tip: Beach Metal detecting by Tom Tanner

I have no idea about the AT-pro on our area beaches. I've heard they're not very good on CA wet salt beaches. But I dunno. Garrett's haven't sold much in our area for 30+ yrs. now. Whites, Fisher, and Minelab are mostly what you see around here nowadays in this part of CA .

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At pro not ment for wet salt, may be time for a trade in if your mainly on the beach

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At pro not ment for wet salt, may be time for a trade in if your mainly on the beach

Agree. The AT Pro is not a great in salt water environments.

As far as the scoop goes, I drag it behind me which keeps it out of my way.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post Coastie25 - so, Welcome Aboard!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Coastie25! I agree, Just drag the scoop behind you. The drag marks are a great indicator where you've been.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
buddy

Hey everyone - was hoping to find a buddy to metal detect with in the Santa Cruz area. I've been successful in dry sand, but have a hard time in the wet. Run an AT Pro. I've done the ground balancing manually and automatically, and seem to get targets every few feet. Found some coins and other things, feel like I have the feel for this detector after a few days, but still honing in the skills that come with experience. Have watched a lot of videos, but think it would be nice to have someone who is a serious hunter to go with. My 1 friend I have been going with gets tired and disappointed after an hour when I'm just getting started.

Also, what do you guys do with your sand scoops? I have to hold mine behind my head so it doesn't trigger my detector. Sensitivity down? Or just come to discearn when that happens?
findin a buddy in dry sand should be easier than wet sand good luck with that:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions