Does anyone use Gaia maps?

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never heard of it. Is it an app or something?

EDIT:

So I installed it and activated the pro features. I'm not too sure how handy this would be when it comes to detecting, though. But I've only been playing with it for literally two minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a video on it and they said you should see square blocks where houses are and were.
It's a app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a video on it and they said you should see square blocks where houses are and were.
It's a app

If that's what you're looking for, there's another app that does that, and it's free for basic use. It's called onXmaps Hunt. It also uses layers (some of which require a premium sub), such as:

"Private parcel data, which includes: private land owner names, property boundaries, parcel divisions within the larger property, tax address, and acreage (onXmaps)."

It works really well. But I'll keep playing with Gaia and see how it works out. I'll keep you updated!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If that's what you're looking for, there's another app that does that, and it's free for basic use. It's called onXmaps Hunt. It also uses layers (some of which require a premium sub), such as:

"Private parcel data, which includes: private land owner names, property boundaries, parcel divisions within the larger property, tax address, and acreage (onXmaps)."

It works really well. But I'll keep playing with Gaia and see how it works out. I'll keep you updated!

Please do and thanks for the info Cjay

CJayC

Jan 14, 2017
Auburn, WA
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW $20 bucks just to see it
will pass
will stick with free maps

I totally agree; I'd never pay that much for an app. And thankfully, I didn't have to. :P

UPDATE:

After spending some time with it, I can faithfully say that it is NOT worth the $20 price tag. When it comes to metal detecting, its only useful/worthwhile feature is the historical map overlay. That's it. There are no land borders or ownership overlays to be found.

My advice is to skip it, and give the onxMaps Hunt or Roam apps a try. Their's free to download and off a 7-day trial to their premium features.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread