What do you do with your clad?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been pondering possibilities myself having just restarted up and keeping a running tally on all my hunts. Naturally I started thinking about the possibilities .. upgrade equipment, stash it away, invest in precious metals/coins, or spend it on something else nothing to do with metal detecting.

So I'm curious - what does everyone else do with their clad?

Upvote 0

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've I'll use the quarters for bus fare. I don't own a car so I have to rely on public transportation. The rest gets separated into different denominations and I'm hoping that I can use them to upgrade my equipment at the end of the year unless I can't get the coins cleaned good enough. The majority of the ruined coins are the pennies and I'm not 100% sure what I am going to do with them. Any older coins will be put in albums to give to my son when he turns 18 which gives me another 15 years of searching and saving/hoarding.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put all my clad and costume jewelry in a Treasure Chest I bought at a thrift store. About 1/3 full. A long way to go. tchest1.jpg

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rotted zincolns go to the landfill and the rest goes back into circulation via a cashier with a disgusted look on their face.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cash mine in at the bank for paper via their duty free coin counter machine and use it for Christmas gifts. Got off to a slow start this year and only started digging 3 weeks ago but aiming for 1,000 clad .25c. Don't know if I'll make it this year or not with the late start and relocating from the big city to a rural area.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good ideas generated so far. I think I may end up using a combination of most of them. I'm going to try to keep my change separated by denomination to start. Might try the vending machine trick with quarters at least. May try to coinstar the pennies (or should I just hoard the copper?) and maybe nickels - though I hate the thought of losing a %. Morgans are probably a good way to go as far as investing, but I also hate spending above spot (or at least more than a bargain!). I do manage to cherry pick eBay sometimes for deals though. I would like to upgrade at some point, but I'd have to dig a lot of clad to upgrade from ATPro. A scoop or maybe a waterproof probe would be more viable. A vacation fund is a cool idea also..

What I'll probably end up doing is buying either coins/silver/jewelry and flip it and then use that money to either upgrade/invest again. The CRH thing I might try also, never have before..

Any other ideas on swapping out change for clean change etc? Think a bank would accept my dirty clad? :laughing7:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rotted zincolns go to the landfill and the rest goes back into circulation via a cashier with a disgusted look on their face.

Wonder if a coinstar accepts even a % of the rotted zincolns if they aren't too bad? Never tried..

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cash mine in at the bank for paper via their duty free coin counter machine and use it for Christmas gifts. Got off to a slow start this year and only started digging 3 weeks ago but aiming for 1,000 clad .25c. Don't know if I'll make it this year or not with the late start and relocating from the big city to a rural area.

If my bank had that it may be an automatic win for me as far as trading in for clean bills. Might have to find one that has that and open an account specifically for that reason!

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if a coinstar accepts even a % of the rotted zincolns if they aren't too bad? Never tried..
Not sure, probably spits them out. I dont use coinstar, im not into the idea of giving someone money to give them money. My credit union has a free sorter.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Exchange it for .9999 Silver Canadian maples to add to my "stack"

Although I could have taken the money I spent on a new metal detector and bought a tube of 25 brand new shinny .9999 silver maples.... :tongue3:

DigDug891

Greenie
May 7, 2017
Houston
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that! What a cool idea! ( I meant filling up a "treasure chest. )

fortaleza

Jun 15, 2013
Northern Illinois, Fortaleza Brazil
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Ace 250, 2 Garrett Pro Pointers gotta have a backup
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my clad for batteries, snacks, coffee, water, gas, tolls. the change part of bill (ex, $1,39) and spend most of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread