ACE250 upgrade to...

Peteybob35

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I thought I was set on trying to get a used AT Pro as an upgrade to my ACE250 but a Minelab Xterra 705 just popped up locally for $300.00. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in July and thought the AT Pro would be nice to have at the beach, but the used ones that pop up are usually quite a bit more than the 705. I live in Utah and so the beach is not going to be a usual thing. Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great price for the 705. If you decide you don't like it you could get your money back plus some. There are plenty of aftermarket and Minelab coils for that machine.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was set on trying to get a used AT Pro as an upgrade to my ACE250 but a Minelab Xterra 705 just popped up locally for $300.00. I'm planning a trip to Hawaii in July and thought the AT Pro would be nice to have at the beach, but the used ones that pop up are usually quite a bit more than the 705. I live in Utah and so the beach is not going to be a usual thing. Thoughts?

Neither machine is a good wet sand/salt water machine. You need a multifrequency type detector for that environment. Good deal on the 705. I'd buy it and sell the Ace250 for money to put toward a water machine.

OP
OP
P

Peteybob35

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Neither machine is a good wet sand/salt water machine. You need a multifrequency type detector for that environment. Good deal on the 705. I'd buy it and sell the Ace250 for money to put toward a water machine.
I'm not so worried about having a good salt water machine as the trip to Hawaii will not be focussed on detecting. I just thought that the AT Pro might be nice since it's waterproof. Saving money on the 705 would be nice because then I could also look for a coil and pinpointer.

OP
OP
P

Peteybob35

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Looks like it comes with the 6" DD coil, what coil would compliment that?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not so worried about having a good salt water machine as the trip to Hawaii will not be focussed on detecting. I just thought that the AT Pro might be nice since it's waterproof. Saving money on the 705 would be nice because then I could also look for a coil and pinpointer.

You mentioned beach hunting in your first post, so, that's why I criticized them for their salt water abilities. Coil choices will depend on where you're hunting and what you're looking for. For wide open spaces with few junk targets, a big coil will help you cover a lot more ground and find deeper targets. For trashy areas, a tiny sniper coil will help separate targets so you can cherry pick without digging everything. The typical 9 to 11 inch coils are a compromise between the two. Some of the elliptical and butterfly coils are attempts to combine coverage with separation, and depth with sensitivity to small items. Some do better than others. Check out the brand forums for comparisons and recommendations of a specific one.

OP
OP
P

Peteybob35

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
So I didn't end up getting the 705, never could coordinate with the seller and then somebody else grabbed it, I've been researching a ton but still can't decide which detector to go for. I doubt I can step up to an e-trac or higher unless a great deal pops up. What's the short list that I should be looking at?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I didn't end up getting the 705, never could coordinate with the seller and then somebody else grabbed it, I've been researching a ton but still can't decide which detector to go for. I doubt I can step up to an e-trac or higher unless a great deal pops up. What's the short list that I should be looking at?

A used Explorer or Sovereign would be a good choice if you can't find an E-trac in your price range.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret sea hunter or Whites surf or tesoro sand shark? All good at the beach. waterproof, submersible and deep! Get out deep where the rings are.

Chub

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you rent something there? or do you live near a beach?

chub

OP
OP
P

Peteybob35

Greenie
May 16, 2008
Utah
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Just a family trip to Hawaii, I'm from Utah so most of my hunting will be there

wygold

May 21, 2016
Chula Vista, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Dual Pack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a good price for the 705, I would have jumped on it in a heart beat. Although I'm not to familiar with the AT Pro's so I couldn't tell you if it's worth using in the wet sand environment, but I've seen some people do really good in parks than at the beach. I have the 705 dual pack, the one that comes with two coils. I do real good in the dry sand than the wet sand but I do find coins and have found a couple of rings in wet sand. It just can't handle the wet very well unless I turn the sensitivity way down, which I end up passing up good targets.. I'm thinking of selling mine so I can upgrade to either the safari or the e-trac. I would prefer the CTX 3030 instead but I just don't have the kind of cash laying around for what I'm seeing them go for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread