I have confused myself researching - Help!

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many other bit with this bug, wanting another machine to add - I now know that you can get confused if you don't understand some of the tech talked during research. :BangHead:

I'll always keep the AT pro for being waterproof and general hunting -( living on the Wet side of WA)

But a few questions - focusing on silver in the sticks, mostly old camping/fishing areas in my area. Yep, nails, bottle caps, et al.

Lot of Iron/magnetite in our soil - AT Pro GB 89-92

I've been wondering if a low Khz machine like the X-terra 705 w/ 3 khz coil would be better than a AT pro @ 15 khz for deep silver hunting in this soil?

Or does the high gb soil null any advantage? Better id, or every deep one still sounds more like iron - ???

Thanks for any input :)

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones I like for that type of hunting are my Minelabs. The 705 should work good for that, and better than the AT Pro. Other ones that do well are the Fisher F75, the XP Deus.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to add to Cuda's reply, regardless of the machine, coil size can make a HUGE difference as well. I just ran into this same thing again at some Indiana older beaches I hunted yesterday, the bottom being too contaminated with all manner of deteriorating metals, even the 10" carried on as if receiving EMI. However, once i dropped to the 8" (Minelab's 8" stock Excal coil is actually even smaller then 8") I was able to run a lot more stable and slowly pick my way through all the interference/contamination. (Video of that outing/event uploading now.) The larger the search coil the larger the search field, the larger the search field the more contamination the processor has to deal with, in disc this creates even slower recovery speeds and often a situation that overwhelms the processor. Reducing the coil size can often help to eliminate a great deal of the problems, also provides better target separation, faster recovery speeds, and at times you can even hunt deeper and with more sensitivity then you can with the larger coils for all of the above reasons.
DSC_4338 small-1.jpg

OP
OP
Molewacker

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! I use the small DD on the AT since reading that I should from Garrett booklet -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread