342 Coins In 1/2 Acre, Still 10 1/2 Acres To Go!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped by my son's place for a little coin plucking, had no idea what I was in for. This is where I had my widowmaker, never tried hunting there because I figured it was a newer property 60's-70's and it just never looked too promising. Boy was I wrong! :laughing7: Left knee and back are pretty sore this morning. Getting old SUCKS! :BangHead:

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man O man, looks to be the only place you would want to detect for the next full year!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I over did it yesterday. Went back out this morning and started another row, this taking in the very bottom of the hill in front of the house. Got halfway down the row and had to quit after recovering another 72 coins...got to feeling a little puny. Still hits me like that sometimes since the heart attack, blood pressure and heart rate drop a little too low. A little rest and good meal usually takes care of it....I just did both....:laughing7:

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, that is incredible.
First question that inters my mind is: "Why are there so many coins there?"
Must have been a place where concerts, picnics, camping, etc., were hold for many years. Many years.
Just curious.
It's going to be interesting when you hit the small creek and old cemetery.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that is incredible.
First question that inters my mind is: "Why are there so many coins there?"
Must have been a place where concerts, picnics, camping, etc., were hold for many years. Many years.
Just curious.
It's going to be interesting when you hit the small creek and old cemetery.

I'm stumped. So many coins and yet so little trash, no jewelry yet, not even junk jewelry. Add to this, most of the coins are from the 70's, 80's, 90's, very-very few in the 60's. Then we find "a few" wheaties and Jefferson nickels through the early 40's and into the 50's, but no silver yet? This first portion of the yard is very rocky, lot's of roots, very little overburden, most of the coins no more then 3-4 inches down, if that. None of it makes any sense to me? The only way I can find reason is "if" the actual front yard was different back in the day and I'm just not over it? So, prior to the addition being put on the home how was the property accessed and used, where was all the traffic back then? Obviously, I sure know where it was at after the addition was added, but where was all the activity taking place before?

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, this should make for an interesting story, as you figure it out. Might have to ask some seniors who have lived in the area for years. Many years.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Time to rest and do some research. The body can only withstand so much and I for one would like you to be around a lot longer, you have some great knowledge and experience that I enjoy reading and watching.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just spent a little rain time down at the library and I suspect there is some inaccuracy as to the current structure, dates, etc. For one thing, from what I can tell thus far (the part of the library I need to access to know for sure closed at 5pm this evening/Wed.) the current structure/home isn't all that old, perhaps 60's at the earliest but more like 70's. What I couldn't find out is if there was a prior structure on the property/site, that information in the other portion of the library that was closed. This would, however, explain at least some of the mystery.

TxDigger2

Apr 26, 2017
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Tesoro Tejon, Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a great site! Good luck on clearing that baby out, keep us posted!

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, eager to hear "the rest of the story" on how this land had been used prior to your son's home being built on it.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great mass find of coins! Interesting that they are there and no real idea of why yet. Let us know if you figure it out, sounds to be an interesting mystery. Hopefully the silver and older dates are there and just waiting to pop up, just don't overdo looking for them. Good Luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, this is what I've been able to assess as of today. Originally. This 11 acre tract of land was part of a much larger tract of land, then, sometime in the late 60's, it was sectioned off into several smaller tracts that are now part of the addition in which my son lives.

In the 1920's there was a structure “somewhere” on this much larger tract, hence the reference of “original structure, 1927”. However, this “original structure” could have been anywhere on that much larger tract of land. The current house came much later as part of the breaking the land up into the smaller tracts, hence this explains why so many coins dated post 1960's. But still, no explanation as to why so many and so little trash?

Family reunions, parties, whatever, all of these things would leave traces in the form of trash, I would think. Yet, so far this is by far the cleanest property I've ever hunted considering the amount of coins and obvious activity that took place here. Where are all of the pull-tabs, bottle caps, pieces of foil, etc.? Why has there been no jewelry found, even costume jewelry? No keys, no buttons, etc.?

Wheaties, old Jefferson nickels, these items can still be found in our pocket change and even more so back in the 70's etc., so no real surprise that a few of these are being found among all of the coinage. But I simply can't explain the absence the of everything else, the bottle caps, pull-tabs, pieces of foil, costume jewelry, etc.

So, I think the next time out I'm going to skip the front yard and do a little property roaming to see what pops out of the ground elsewhere. I can always return to the front yard and dig those coins, there aren't going anywhere.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread