Etrac WOT coil, 2 deep wheaties

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just recently got an Etrac and was practicing digging the iffy signals and ended up finding 2 wheat pennies both at about 12" with the WOT coil. Manual sens at 27 with Andy S program, Multi/conductive tone, stable but dry ground..I was able to put the Lesche all the way in the hole to the top of the soil before digging them out. So just a little info on the WOT coil and a testament to its depth. :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds if you get stuff at 12 inches, probably will be hitting those deep silvers soon.

I usually don't run the sensitivity that high because of stability issues, I also have a WOT coil but don't use it as much as I should because it is so heavy, I get tired pretty fast with it.

Good Luck out there.

Pete

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I hope so on the silvers! :) It's a nice coil for heavily hunted areas like parks. And I have the old version with no webbing so that's probably a little lighter but would probably still get heavy after a long use

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I agree with pulltab pete. That I can't imagine any ground that would let a guy do 27 on the sens. Unless it were inert dry white sand or something ?

As for WOT's on any of the explorer incarnations (II, Etrac, etc...) my experience is that all you do is get more ground coverage. Not more depth on coin-sized targets. As is the 11" coil was the "point of diminishing returns" for coin-sized items on that machine. And with the 11" coil, I can not imagine a wheat penny at beyond 10" or so. So if you say you got one at 12", then ..... can't argue with that ! :)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a 12" wheat with the 13" Ultimate coil running manual sens at 22. All I got was a repeatable click, dug it at a zoo that has been back filled. One of the most frustrating things at this place is digging pulltabs at 9"

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with pulltab pete. That I can't imagine any ground that would let a guy do 27 on the sens. Unless it were inert dry white sand or something ?

As for WOT's on any of the explorer incarnations (II, Etrac, etc...) my experience is that all you do is get more ground coverage. Not more depth on coin-sized targets. As is the 11" coil was the "point of diminishing returns" for coin-sized items on that machine. And with the 11" coil, I can not imagine a wheat penny at beyond 10" or so. So if you say you got one at 12", then ..... can't argue with that ! :)

Thanks! I sure do not like arguing myself lol. But your thoughts are respected :) As far as soil goes I think it's a loamy/silt soil, near a river. A dark soil on top then a silty soil under and I've never really had sensitivity issues related to soil, only from weather or electricity. And if I had just found one at that depth then I would be more inclined to call it fluky but twice helps confirm. And both were exactly in the middle of the hole where pinpointed. As far as losing depth on the bigger coil with coin sized targets, I know my AT gold will give more depth on a silver dime with the 5x8 coil compared to the 15" coil in an air test. But I just did an air test with the etrac, same settings, with the WOT and 12.5" sunray and the WOT was giving about 2" more depth than the sunray on a wheat and silver dime comparing furthest repeatable signal. WOT came to 12.5" on the wheat and 12" on the silver dime. Now how that would translate to the ground idk. But still some good info to add to the thread!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks! I sure do not like arguing myself lol. But your thoughts are respected :) As far as soil goes I think it's a loamy/silt soil, near a river. A dark soil on top then a silty soil under and I've never really had sensitivity issues related to soil, only from weather or electricity. And if I had just found one at that depth then I would be more inclined to call it fluky but twice helps confirm. And both were exactly in the middle of the hole where pinpointed. As far as losing depth on the bigger coil with coin sized targets, I know my AT gold will give more depth on a silver dime with the 5x8 coil compared to the 15" coil in an air test. But I just did an air test with the etrac, same settings, with the WOT and 12.5" sunray and the WOT was giving about 2" more depth than the sunray on a wheat and silver dime comparing furthest repeatable signal. WOT came to 12.5" on the wheat and 12" on the silver dime. Now how that would translate to the ground idk. But still some good info to add to the thread!

I was never able to get deeper on coins when using a WOT on the Exp. Just more coverage (at the cost or more warbly performance). But it just occurred to me that if you're in an area that allows you go bump up to 27 sens, then perhaps even the stock 11" coil would likewise get a wheatie at 12" deep ?

I've gotten coins off the beach at 12 to 14", with standard 11" coil. But the beach is where you can chase insane whispers, w/o any regard to TID (high vs low vs iron, etc....)

For some reason the Sovereign doesn't seem to hit that "law of diminishing returns" at the stock coils. I have seen guys with Sov/Wot combo that .... on the beach, can get coins at 14" deep and have super accurate "call" (ie.: deduce conductive vs non-conductive). In fact, if they have the Sunray meter, can even guess TID (zinc vs nickel vs quarter, etc....). I just haven't seen that done with the explorers so far. They seem to peak out on coins at the stock coils for what I've seen. Maybe you just have a real-sweet setup with perfect mesh between the coil and the machine on yours. Or maybe it has to do with the fact you're able to get away with 27 on the sens.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 12 inch dimes with my WOT all the time.......at the beach. Our parks are too trashy to even use a WOT there. E-tracs (and Minelabs in general) don't air test well. They do much better in virgin ground.

OP
OP
Silver Saver

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was never able to get deeper on coins when using a WOT on the Exp. Just more coverage (at the cost or more warbly performance). But it just occurred to me that if you're in an area that allows you go bump up to 27 sens, then perhaps even the stock 11" coil would likewise get a wheatie at 12" deep ?

I've gotten coins off the beach at 12 to 14", with standard 11" coil. But the beach is where you can chase insane whispers, w/o any regard to TID (high vs low vs iron, etc....)

For some reason the Sovereign doesn't seem to hit that "law of diminishing returns" at the stock coils. I have seen guys with Sov/Wot combo that .... on the beach, can get coins at 14" deep and have super accurate "call" (ie.: deduce conductive vs non-conductive). In fact, if they have the Sunray meter, can even guess TID (zinc vs nickel vs quarter, etc....). I just haven't seen that done with the explorers so far. They seem to peak out on coins at the stock coils for what I've seen. Maybe you just have a real-sweet setup with perfect mesh between the coil and the machine on yours. Or maybe it has to do with the fact you're able to get away with 27 on the sens.

Yep all those things could factor in. Could be a sweet machine/coil setup on mine, plus the nutreal soil allowing such high sens. And perhaps the stock coil could hit that same coin, but maybe not or not as good of a signal too. Couldn't say right now, but time could tell. Either way I'm defiantly liking the etrac :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread