Whooaaa

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep bees. I have early onset arthritus. Mine is osteo arthritis where the joints are just worn out. So the stinging can be helpful for some types of arthritus.
Bees dont like anything that smells, ie deodorant, petrol,sweat etc. They also dont like darker colours and are not partial to some fabric textures like wool or felt hats (not many people wear felt hats these days). They are also not fond of dark and shiney things -like your eyes- hence the bee veil. Bees vision is higher in the colour spectrum so they see more UV and less infa red (thats why most red flowers are pollinated by birds. I dont wnow what colour you were wearing? They are also attracted to movement.
When a female worker stings you, her sting is barbed and it tends to get stuck in clothing and skin etc. It releases an ALARM pheromone which will attract other bees to attack in the area of the sting. If you smoke- Light one up! Blow the smoke around the sting as it will interupt the alarm pheromone.
Bees can be more aggressive in times of food shortage. Or you may have stopped in a bee line (line between hive and food source). Generally if it is warm and there is nectar or pollen available they shouldnt bother you.
you may have been "stung" on your backpack without ever knowing...attracting other bees. to sting ... etc.

these are generalisations

Chub

Corben

Jul 9, 2008
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000. V4
Garrett ATPro
Years ago I ran into some bees while detecting and was inspired to draw this cartoon later that night.

"Not the Killer Bees I was hoping for!"

Attachments

• 42cee88d-549d-4a7d-9d82-e9e7d642b10e.png
    42cee88d-549d-4a7d-9d82-e9e7d642b10e.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 90

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You left out some of my fears of things in the woods that do not want to be disturbed...

Bears... snakes... and anything else with fangs.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my "other" world...

The one under the waves...

Things of nature that can be troublesome IE: Sharks etc... Actually WANT to be disturbed.

They wait for it. heh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread