Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Each year I find 1,000-2,000 coins while metal detecting mostly beaches and I've been searching for a large but inexpensive way to clean my found coins via tumbler. No luck. Coin tumblers run $150 or more - a large chunk of my change. So I searched for a cheap way to build a large coin tumbler; one that could handle at least a 1,000 coins. My solution: The Riding Mower Coin Tumbler.

Riding Mower Coin Tumbler.jpg
Container on wheel.jpg

Here is a picture of my Riding Mower Coin Tumbler - I have attached, by 2 - 30" pull-cords, a 2 gallon plastic container to a back wheel of my Craftsman riding lawn mower. I filled the container with about 900 coins and off I went...nothing happened. The coins simply slid along the smooth bottom of the container as the wheel turned and I couldn't go fast enough to enable the coins to tumble. To solve the problem, I placed a coil of 1/2 copper tubing tightly inside the container so that as the container turned the coins would hit the copper tubing and start to tumble, it worked. After 20 minutes of cutting the yard, I checked the coins and found them to be much cleaner and also found a large amount of fine powder in the container - coin crud residue.

Post tumbled coins.jpg

Thirty minutes is about enough time to tumble about 1,000 coins, although they still need to be washed and dried. Feel free to improvise on my invention. If you decide to replicate my findings, I should warn you - use a secure container; otherwise, you might be using your metal detector to find coins that you're already found. Also, DO NOT replicate this type of tumbler with your car or truck.
[:BangHead:/B]

Upvote 0

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice and clever! 2 birds ones stone i love it!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My double drum tumbler was right at $52 from Harbor Freight, but you've got one heck of an idea there :)

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd say this is Red Green approved, but you didn't use duct tape. :laughing7:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much does a riding mower cost? [emoji4]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Pure genius. I don't have a mower anymore. Bought a tumbler a couple years ago.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome, and where you don't have duct tape, bungee cords are the next best things and ideal here. If you have to mow, might as well take advantage of the wheels spinning! Top cool invention of the week!:headbang:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty cool idea! :occasion14:

Def MacGyver approved! If ya gotta mow the lawn might as well clean them coins.

veemaxx

Dec 22, 2015
Raymond, Ne
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, BH Tracker 4, XP Deus, (CTX 3030 sold due to elbow pain)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny you've been doing this I've been using a square plastic peanut jar for the last few years attached the exact same way.

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My double drum tumbler was right at $52 from Harbor Freight, but you've got one heck of an idea there :)
You run it dry or wet? What 'stuff' ya put in with the coins?
(Bought mine fro doing some ball milling)

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weed eater fail, coins flying everywhere...:laughing7:....just sent the girlfriend to the grocery store, two small jars full of coins and some wire ties, I'll let you know how the grocery cart experiment works out. :laughing7:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put them in a jar and let Terry Soloman stare at them a while...they will shake themselves clean....

hang on...wrong thread

chub

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Funny you've been doing this I've been using a square plastic peanut jar for the last few years attached the exact same way.

Square is better. Great minds think alike!

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You run it dry or wet? What 'stuff' ya put in with the coins?
(Bought mine fro doing some ball milling)

The coins have a lot of sand still on many so I don't have to add an abrasive, like sand, to the coins. I tumble them dry. 45 yrs ago I worked in Industry and we'd tumble clean certain auto parts and add a scoop of sand to act as an abrasive, sort of like sand-blasting. 30-35 minutes seemed to do the trick. Crushed my 3 middle fingers on my right hand by a forklift (with my weight and forks weight) as I was riding the forks lower from just dumping a container of car parts into a large tumbler 5 ft off the ground...had gloves on and just knew when I pulled my glove off I'd find totally crushed fingers...but I digress, another story another time.
[Wife just said "It couldn't have been too bad ya can still type 6 words a minute!"]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread