Which Headphones and why?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Which Headphones and why?

I like Grey Ghost, but there are other good ones. Try to get to a dealer where you can try them on to see how they fit and sound. Some like the cheap ones from K-Mart, but I think you generally get what you pay for.

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois

Phones are a personal choice so if you can try different pairs that is the way to go. I use Rat's and like the fit and sound. The replaceable cord is also a nice feature. Rob

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

I have been using Killer Bees & Timberwolf for some time and they work very well. I am now going to give the wireless a try. Will have them next week

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'v used KOSS Headphones for many years.
Not just Great Sound but Liftime warranty.

Now I use TROY also very good sound,
and a Lifetime warranty, although I havn't used their warranty
yet so, I don't know if it's as Good as KOSS has.

The Reason for the Switch was because I Won the TROY's
Phones.

Plus My KOSS Fit on my Ears. This can make them sore
in certain Conditions.

the TROY fit over my ears, which is more Comfortable.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

I don't know anything about hearing aids nor do I know how much of a hearing loss you have.

I use a Black Widow which has a volume adjustment for each ear. Some people do not have equal hearing in both ears and they use headphones which you can control the volume for each ear.

http://www.detectorpro.com/blackwidow.htm

George

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

Grey Ghost, Koss, Jolly Roger, Wolff, all good. (Except for on an XP where yxou really need the original, and if possible the original wireless).

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

If you have good hearing any head phones will do.I like a simple one piece that fits snug in my ear.

You save battery life.

And you will know if anyone or thing is sneaking up on you.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

i use a single earpeice like what scanner radio enthusiast use, not a full headphone. i plug the earpeice into a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter from radioshack and then it fits most detectors.

a full headphone will block out outiside noise which may be beneficial but also puts you in danger. you cant hear someone or something sneaking up on you when you wear those big things on both ears. i find the fullsize headphones to be not only cumbersome but also dangerous since you lose all hint of whats going on around you.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

As luck would have it, in mainland Europe we don´t have this problem of people sneaking up on you to the degree you have it in the States. That said however, the difference in sounds that headphones make is what makes or breaks a lot of detectors, get the wrong ones and your find rates will go down, simply because you´re not hearing the fainter signals. Not such a big problem on machines with a screen, but those of us that prefer purely sound machines, will know what I´m talking about. Try using any old headphones on an XP for instance, and you might as well get a different detector, use the original phones, and your finds rate will go through the roof.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used

rayredditch said:
As luck would have it, in mainland Europe we don´t have this problem of people sneaking up on you to the degree you have it in the States. That said however, the difference in sounds that headphones make is what makes or breaks a lot of detectors, get the wrong ones and your find rates will go done, soimply because you´re not hearing the fainter signals. Not such a big problem on machines with a screen, but those of us that prefer purely sound machines, will know what I´m talking about. Try using any old headphones on an XP for instance, and you might as well get a different detector, use the original phones, and your finds rate will go through the roof.

ok, hows that work?
if the phones arent sensitive enough, cranking up the volume a little bit should compensate right? being into hi end audio gear, i cant see how a set of headphones on a metal detector wont reproduce a tone while a different phone will. the tones coming from a metal detector are far from challenging for a modern headphone to reproduce. a decent set of phones should reproduce the entire range of human hearing without strain. i'm talking $30-50 phones here, not even really pricey ones. i've never bothered with MD specific headphones due to the simple fact that the tones coming from your detector are nothing more than audio. the tone level may vary from one set to another but you can always compensate with the volume control.

blocking out outside noise is a totally different ball of wax. if your looking to shut out external noise then yes, fullsize phones are the most common choice. however sansa, the folks that make portable mp3 palyers, recently offered some very small earplug type phones with their players that actually seal in your ear canal. they effectively block out most outside noise and are very small. they're made of a white silicone rubber similar to what ipods use on their cords. you could get one of these headphones, plug only one in your ear and have the best of both worlds. an ear to the outside world and an ear to your detector.

concerned with ruggedness? many different models of koss phones come with a lifetime warrantee. it breaks, send it back with $7 for return shipping and they ship them back to you fully repaired.

yes i'm ranting.. just hate to see folks spend good money on "special metal detecting headphones"

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre

This subject always opens a can of worms on here but I'll throw in my thoughts.

Of prime importance is not sound quality but comfort. Some people have larger heads (or very small) and what good are phones that pinch the crap out of your brain because they're too narrow or fall off continually because they're too big?

I once received a top brand set of phones with a detector and had to sell them on ebay because they didn't fit well. While I had them I compared them to some cheap "TreasureWise" imported phones I owned and the $100+ headphones were no better than the cheap imports ($15).

I'm not saying all top brands are really cheap phones with fancy stickers but I've found the TreasureWise (the cheapest models) to be the best for me.

If possible, try before you buy.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used

Try some European detectors with the wrong phones, and you´ll hear the loud signals, but those tiny allmost imperceptibel dig me signals will not come through. Some cheap phones work well, others don´t, some expensive phones work well, others don´t, you have to match your detector to the phones. What works on one will sound dull and lifeless on another.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used

Me said:
This subject always opens a can of worms on here but I'll throw in my thoughts.

Of prime importance is not sound quality but comfort. Some people have larger heads (or very small) and what good are phones that pinch the crap out of your brain because they're too narrow or fall off continually because they're too big?

i'll agree with that 100%
if they dont fit right or annoy you, you'll be fidgeting with the phones and not paying attention to the detector.

OP
OP
E

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for all the replies! What a nice group of people. I am going to go and look at some headphones next week. I will let you know what I get, Beale.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used

Best thing, first decide on the detector, then, decide on the phones

OP
OP
E

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007

Hey i got my detector ordered. Minelab X-Terra 70, Beale.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used

MineLab, go for the Koss phones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread