4 kHz, 14 kHz or 28 kHz VLF Detector question

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer, E-trac, Muskateer, Tesoro, Deus, White's, Detech, DMC IIb, and others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been looking into some VLF metal detectors. This one company has a relic and a TID.

I know for sure they have the 14 kHz TID detector. They were supposed to come out with the 4 kHz and 28 kHz TID as well.

Wouldn't the lower 4 kHz be less succeptible to iron nails and rusty bottle caps? But the trade off is wouldn't it be more succeptible to pieces of aluminum foil? Of course it would be hotter on gold.

This afternoon I was able to access their web site but, all over the world, each web site which sells their detectors is now being updated so I am hesitent to name the brand.

So, what's the best for coin shooting and getting around iron? 4, 14 or 28 kHz?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Minelab is 7 KHz and LOVES aluminum. My Fisher is 13 KHz and seems to do better on nickels and is less fooled my aluminum - but it is also newer generation-wise and also has TDI read-out.

I'd go with the 13 or 14 for coins. In fact, I did!

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont dig foil with my etrac. The F75 and AT Pro hits hard on foil. If your coin hunting shoot 14k, gold 28k, or deep targets bigger than a quarter 4k. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont dig foil with my etrac. The F75 and AT Pro hits hard on foil. If your coin hunting shoot 14k, gold 28k, or deep targets bigger than a quarter 4k. Good Luck.

Interesting. I went to Tesoro and their Lobo gold detector operates at 17.8 kHz, Garret's gold detector operates at 18 kHz to find gold nuggetts.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You do not want to go above 14kHz for a coinshooter. Higher kHz see SMALL targets much better, while lower kHz see coin size targets better and deeper. :occasion14:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has always seemed in the past that, the lower freq's , such as 4kHz as you mentioned, were better on copper, silver and brass, and perhaps a little deeper as well, the higher numbers like 14kHz, 28kHz etc. were better on say gold and other low conductivity items, (lead sinkers, pull-tabs, nickels), in fact in the past the "normal" on new detectors was about 8kHz for all around detecting. But now I think, with all the advancement in current tech. (Just like cell-phones, T.V."s etc.) many detectors seem to be around the 14kHz range, give or take, as your Gen. purpose coil. Higher or lower, might be used for "Target Specific" type of hunting, High kHz for say small gold, Low kHz for say Silver. As for iron, many detectors will have a "Iron Cancel" type of thing, it helps a lot, but is not fool proof. Many on T-Net has had great success with something around 14kHz, and again Iron? It can be eliminated, unless your relic hunting, then it can be used as a good tool I believe. In general hunting, I think you'll find more with something around 14kHz.

OP
OP
Tony (Michigan)

Tony (Michigan)

May 17, 2017
Lapeer County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting, sprailroad, that the Silver µMax operates at 10 kHz.
The Detech relic detector operates at 4.8 kHz and punches deep into the ground.

They are in Bulgaria. I used Google Translate to translate this:

The Detech Relic Striker is a 4.8-kHz monofrequency VLF / IB equipped with a 18 "x15" (18"x15")
Symmetric Electromagnetic Field (SEF) mastodontic plate. These first information, read by a search
engine with a pinch of technical knowledge, are indicative of a more focused detector in search of highly
conductive metal objects (copper, bronze and silver), of not too small dimensions, at remarkable depths
and capable of To penetrate mineralized soils.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Tony there is a lot of mis-information here. While it is true that lower frequencies hit better on deep silver, higher frequencies work better at unmasking in iron. I once ran a White's V3i in the 3 khz and it read surface foil like it was silver. As for the whys, that is an in depth discussion for next time. If you have to choose just one frequency out of the three you mentioned, go with 14khz as it is a decent all around frequency. As for this statement you made:

"Wouldn't the lower 4 kHz be less succeptible to iron nails and rusty bottle caps?"

Short answer is NO. But it is susceptible to Iron falsing(an iron object begins to decay when it is underground and the small iron particles that collects at the tips(for a nail) reads like a high conductor)

"But the trade off is wouldn't it be more succeptible to pieces of aluminum foil?"

On the surface yes because this acts just like iron falsing.

"Of course it would be hotter on gold."

It would be the worst on gold. High frequency works well with at detecting materials in the low conductor side.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The higher the frequency the more sensitive a detector is on smaller non ferrous targets I:E Gold,Aluminum Foil,Lead bullets,Brass items that's why detectors like the new GM 1000 is at 45 kHz,one of the Gold bugs is 71 kHz and the whites GMT is at 48 kHz,they see smaller non ferrous better,at 4 kHz a detector will see larger non ferrous at depth,but will also see coins and iron and like b3y0nd3r said the 14 kHz would be a better all around frequency

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or get a Minelab FBS machine and have 28 frequencies! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread