Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey y'all I woke up with gold fever today. I am on my way to that old abandoned high school late 1800s. My mission today is to find my first gold high school ring. Any advice please don't hesitate to give it.
I'm using the F75 and ATP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be patient. Hunt slow. Imagine where the kids would have hung out. Shade trees. Look for cleared areas... no trees. Maybe used as a play field of some type.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more of a coin shooter, but when I get a solid VDI on a mid tone, I dig it. I have only dug 4 gold rings in 3 years. I use the F75LTD in 3H tones.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Truth! Let us know the final ratio of pulltabs dug to rings! I'm betting around 150:1!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am more of a coin shooter, but when I get a solid VDI on a mid tone, I dig it. I have only dug 4 gold rings in 3 years. I use the F75LTD in 3H tones.

Same here 4 gold rings in 3 years and 3 out of the 4 were lucky.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's just so much fill it hard to hunt. Anything on the levee of the Mississippi has had their land sanded up in New Orleans about 5" I'd say. I'm gonna try to work the outskirts next week.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going specifically for gold, and especially true with class rings, "Dig every repeatable target" and forget about trusting VDI. Many rings, especially common with class rings, are only 10k gold, the dominate alloys generally being copper or silver. This means that a 1ok class ring is .615% silver or copper, your VDI then only giving you an average reading based on the gold content and the content of the other alloy, this is why gold can show up just about anywhere on your VDI, because gold content can vary from 8k all the way up 22k, those lesser k-values and other alloy types drastically effecting VDI. I just wrote an article about this on my blog that you may want to read: https://manaloneblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/gold-the-vdi-quandary/

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're going specifically for gold, and especially true with class rings, "Dig every repeatable target" and forget about trusting VDI. Many rings, especially common with class rings, are only 10k gold, the dominate alloys generally being copper or silver. This means that a 1ok class ring is .615% silver or copper, your VDI then only giving you an average reading based on the gold content and the content of the other alloy, this is why gold can show up just about anywhere on your VDI, because gold content can vary from 8k all the way up 22k, those lesser k-values and other alloy types drastically effecting VDI. I just wrote an article about this on my blog that you may want to read: https://manaloneblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/gold-the-vdi-quandary/

Thank you bigscoop always willing to learn something

kha924

Jan 29, 2017
NWPA 814
Detector(s) used
LRP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
id up the 150 pull tab to 1 gold ring im sure im over 1000:1 sometimes when i get bored and not getting to many coins ill go to town on all tone which is what i did today and boy were my pockets jam packed of pull tabs..

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Gold is rare, a gold high school ring even more so...but they are out there.
I have found 5, all came in between 48 and 52 or so on the Fishers, low zinc and decent sized can slaw range.
All were solid repeating signals though so watch for that behavior in that range.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold is rare, a gold high school ring even more so...but they are out there.
I have found 5, all came in between 48 and 52 or so on the Fishers, low zinc and decent sized can slaw range.
All were solid repeating signals though so watch for that behavior in that range.

Thanks digger I appreciate that info

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
◄ Minelab CTX 3030
◄ XP Deus
◄ Minelab Equinox 800
◄ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't go hunting for gold i go hunting -- gold is rare and in the one year I've been hunting i have only found 3 gold items the first was week one of detecting the VDI was like a shot gun blast all over the place out of curiosity more than anything else i dug it up ended up being a 20 in 14k heavy gold chain shocked as the VID was not consistent and now i probably would not have dug but just goes to show consistent signals are worth checking out. my second gold was a 14k ring wedged in between the grass and sidewalk edge, VDI was skewed by re bar but was a solid signal different from the re bar signal again dug it out of curiosity and BAM was i surprised. my most recent gold was at a soccer field gold and silver ring with 1k garnet center stone and diamond chips around the garnet VDI was was near zinc penny range. Showed it to the wife and have not seen it sense :)

Still have not found the magic VDI for gold but I'll try to dig anything that's a solid signal or odd just to see what it is sometimes you'll get lucky. So stay curious .. you'll dig a lot of trash but keep in mind if your digging trash your going to find gold eventually, no trash = no gold.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't go hunting for gold i go hunting -- gold is rare and in the one year I've been hunting i have only found 3 gold items the first was week one of detecting the VDI was like a shot gun blast all over the place out of curiosity more than anything else i dug it up ended up being a 20 in 14k heavy gold chain shocked as the VID was not consistent and now i probably would not have dug but just goes to show consistent signals are worth checking out. my second gold was a 14k ring wedged in between the grass and sidewalk edge, VDI was skewed by re bar but was a solid signal different from the re bar signal again dug it out of curiosity and BAM was i surprised. my most recent gold was at a soccer field gold and silver ring with 1k garnet center stone and diamond chips around the garnet VDI was was near zinc penny range. Showed it to the wife and have not seen it sense :)

Still have not found the magic VDI for gold but I'll try to dig anything that's a solid signal or odd just to see what it is sometimes you'll get lucky. So stay curious .. you'll dig a lot of trash but keep in mind if your digging trash your going to find gold eventually, no trash = no gold.

I found 5 gold rings. 3 were just dumb luck,2 were solid VDI's that I had good feelings. But yes it's very very rare. I check often but I've never went looking for it and found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread