Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By TheTreasureAddict
  • 1 Post By DIG ADK MTN
  • 1 Post By SD51
  • 2 Post By bigscoop
  • 2 Post By trdking
  • 2 Post By kha924
  • 2 Post By digger27

Thread: I woke up with gold fever

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting

I woke up with gold fever

Hey y'all I woke up with gold fever today. I am on my way to that old abandoned high school late 1800s. My mission today is to find my first gold high school ring. Any advice please don't hesitate to give it.
    I'm using the F75 and ATP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Truth1253; Jun 19, 2017 at 05:44 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    VOTE FOR CRACKBADGER!

Mar 2007
    FLOR DI DA
    ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
    32 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Be patient. Hunt slow. Imagine where the kids would have hung out. Shade trees. Look for cleared areas... no trees. Maybe used as a play field of some type.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk
    dirtdigginfool likes this.
    DIGGING LIKE A BADGER ON CRACK!

Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    12465 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I am more of a coin shooter, but when I get a solid VDI on a mid tone, I dig it. I have only dug 4 gold rings in 3 years. I use the F75LTD in 3H tones.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

us
    Jun 2017
    Vernon Center, NY
    Garrett AT Pro
    50 times
    Relic Hunting
    You have the right attitude, stay positive - good luck!
    Truth1253 likes this.

Aug 2016
    MI
    ETRAC
    725 times
    Good luck Truth! Let us know the final ratio of pulltabs dug to rings! I'm betting around 150:1!
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    I am more of a coin shooter, but when I get a solid VDI on a mid tone, I dig it. I have only dug 4 gold rings in 3 years. I use the F75LTD in 3H tones.
    Same here 4 gold rings in 3 years and 3 out of the 4 were lucky.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting
    There's just so much fill it hard to hunt. Anything on the levee of the Mississippi has had their land sanded up in New Orleans about 5" I'd say. I'm gonna try to work the outskirts next week.

us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    Wherever there be treasure!
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    6794 times
    If you're going specifically for gold, and especially true with class rings, "Dig every repeatable target" and forget about trusting VDI. Many rings, especially common with class rings, are only 10k gold, the dominate alloys generally being copper or silver. This means that a 1ok class ring is .615% silver or copper, your VDI then only giving you an average reading based on the gold content and the content of the other alloy, this is why gold can show up just about anywhere on your VDI, because gold content can vary from 8k all the way up 22k, those lesser k-values and other alloy types drastically effecting VDI. I just wrote an article about this on my blog that you may want to read: https://manaloneblog.wordpress.com/2...-vdi-quandary/
    Truth1253 and Johnbrian like this.
    "Treasure is wherever it can be found."

us
    Randy

Feb 2015
    San Clemente CA
    Minelab CTX 3030
    1541 times
    The gold is where you find it
    worldtalker and Truth1253 like this.
    Anything That Comes Out of The Dirt Is Awesome!

Best find 1941 Patek Philippe 2 register flat pusher Chronograph Bought 1,000 Sold 62,000 !!
    First Year 911 Porsche Purchased 36K SOLD 140K!!! Whoo Hoo

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bigscoop View Post
    If you're going specifically for gold, and especially true with class rings, "Dig every repeatable target" and forget about trusting VDI. Many rings, especially common with class rings, are only 10k gold, the dominate alloys generally being copper or silver. This means that a 1ok class ring is .615% silver or copper, your VDI then only giving you an average reading based on the gold content and the content of the other alloy, this is why gold can show up just about anywhere on your VDI, because gold content can vary from 8k all the way up 22k, those lesser k-values and other alloy types drastically effecting VDI. I just wrote an article about this on my blog that you may want to read: https://manaloneblog.wordpress.com/2...-vdi-quandary/
    Thank you bigscoop always willing to learn something

us
    Jan 2017
    NWPA 814
    LRP
    63 times
    Metal Detecting
    id up the 150 pull tab to 1 gold ring im sure im over 1000:1 sometimes when i get bored and not getting to many coins ill go to town on all tone which is what i did today and boy were my pockets jam packed of pull tabs..
    trdking and Truth1253 like this.

us
    May 2011
    1964 times
    Gold is rare, a gold high school ring even more so...but they are out there.
    I have found 5, all came in between 48 and 52 or so on the Fishers, low zinc and decent sized can slaw range.
    All were solid repeating signals though so watch for that behavior in that range.
    Truth1253 and Johnbrian like this.
    "I intend to live forever. So far, so good!".
    2017 Totals...Clad, silver pin, a silver bracelet, 10 silver coins including a freaking Barber quarter and a beautiful walking half, Plus 2 V nickels....still on the hunt for gold!

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by digger27 View Post
    Gold is rare, a gold high school ring even more so...but they are out there.
    I have found 5, all came in between 48 and 52 or so on the Fishers, low zinc and decent sized can slaw range.
    All were solid repeating signals though so watch for that behavior in that range.
    Thanks digger I appreciate that info

us
    Goat Whisperer

Jun 2016
    Vancouver WA
    ◄ Minelab CTX 3030 ◄ XP Deus ◄ Garrett AT Pro
    23 times
    I don't go hunting for gold i go hunting -- gold is rare and in the one year I've been hunting i have only found 3 gold items the first was week one of detecting the VDI was like a shot gun blast all over the place out of curiosity more than anything else i dug it up ended up being a 20 in 14k heavy gold chain shocked as the VID was not consistent and now i probably would not have dug but just goes to show consistent signals are worth checking out. my second gold was a 14k ring wedged in between the grass and sidewalk edge, VDI was skewed by re bar but was a solid signal different from the re bar signal again dug it out of curiosity and BAM was i surprised. my most recent gold was at a soccer field gold and silver ring with 1k garnet center stone and diamond chips around the garnet VDI was was near zinc penny range. Showed it to the wife and have not seen it sense

Still have not found the magic VDI for gold but I'll try to dig anything that's a solid signal or odd just to see what it is sometimes you'll get lucky. So stay curious .. you'll dig a lot of trash but keep in mind if your digging trash your going to find gold eventually, no trash = no gold.

us

Apr 2016
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2709 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jhittle View Post
    I don't go hunting for gold i go hunting -- gold is rare and in the one year I've been hunting i have only found 3 gold items the first was week one of detecting the VDI was like a shot gun blast all over the place out of curiosity more than anything else i dug it up ended up being a 20 in 14k heavy gold chain shocked as the VID was not consistent and now i probably would not have dug but just goes to show consistent signals are worth checking out. my second gold was a 14k ring wedged in between the grass and sidewalk edge, VDI was skewed by re bar but was a solid signal different from the re bar signal again dug it out of curiosity and BAM was i surprised. my most recent gold was at a soccer field gold and silver ring with 1k garnet center stone and diamond chips around the garnet VDI was was near zinc penny range. Showed it to the wife and have not seen it sense

Still have not found the magic VDI for gold but I'll try to dig anything that's a solid signal or odd just to see what it is sometimes you'll get lucky. So stay curious .. you'll dig a lot of trash but keep in mind if your digging trash your going to find gold eventually, no trash = no gold.
    I found 5 gold rings. 3 were just dumb luck,2 were solid VDI's that I had good feelings. But yes it's very very rare. I check often but I've never went looking for it and found it.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links