Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey T-netters, I hope all Dads had a GREAT Father's Day and got out to swing the coil around a bit. The wife surprised with a new rock (coin) tumbler for Father's Day. I was super excited, as I have a huge pile of dirty clad and grows every trip out. I did have a cheap, small tumbler...well- you've heard the saying..."you get what you pay for". It applies to coin tumblers, just saying. I could only get half a roll of quarters in it, or it would slip..it leaked like a sieve...etc...But wifey came through, this unit is awesome! I ran the first batch with water, half cup of pool sand, a drop of dish soap and half ounce of acidic toilet bowl cleaner. Ran for 6 hours, thoroughly rinsed and re-ran the quarters overnite with water, dish soap and about 6 oz. of bb's. I'm very impressed how they came out this morning. The pic of the bowl is how they came out after the first run, before polishing. Another batch of quarters then on to the dimes! Hope everyone had a great Father's Day...Ddf

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-17-16-17-32.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-17-16-17-32.png
    356.6 KB · Views: 195
  • 20170618_135938.jpg
    20170618_135938.jpg
    569 KB · Views: 182
  • 20170619_080722.jpg
    20170619_080722.jpg
    807.8 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 0

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! That's a nice Fathers Day present!
Looks like it will get lots of use. Quarters came out looking good. Might have to get me one of those.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for the blurry pics, I'm trying to learn how to re-size them so they come out clearer. Thx..Ddf

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kewl!! I have a single and a double barrel. Try lemon juice to the top of the coins and a little salt....tumble for 30 to 45 minutes....clean as a baby's butt!! Someone here can give you the exact amount of salt. Easy clean up also.....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx T.C.! I'm having decent results but I am always open to suggestions! I know the acidic toilet bowl cleaner is harsh but does work...nickels are next, I will most certainly try the salt and lemon juice trick...thx again..Ddf

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is copy and pasted from loco digger "I use lemon juice, just enough to barely cover the coins and about 2 tablespoons of salt. Some use white vinegar in lieu of the lemon juice. Seperate your pennies from the other clad, use this mix on the dimes, nickels, and quarters etc. first, and then reuse the same concoction on your pennies. If by chance a penny is in with the clad they will not come out silver, but more of a pinkish color."

What I like about it is, it's fast (30-45 minutes) and the clean up (rinse out & wipe) is easy!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is copy and pasted from loco digger "I use lemon juice, just enough to barely cover the coins and about 2 tablespoons of salt. Some use white vinegar in lieu of the lemon juice. Seperate your pennies from the other clad, use this mix on the dimes, nickels, and quarters etc. first, and then reuse the same concoction on your pennies. If by chance a penny is in with the clad they will not come out silver, but more of a pinkish color."

What I like about it is, it's fast (30-45 minutes) and the clean up (rinse out & wipe) is easy!!:thumbsup:

Thx again TC...I got home from work today and dug out my dimes, rinsed them off and dried them off. I toss a couple lbs of nickels in the tumbler and go in the house in search of lemon juice. DRAT..no lemon juice...but then I spied a bowl of fresh lemons, and I hear behind me..."DON'T. YOU. DARE"....Double drat. So I'll let'em tumble overnight with the usual ingredients for now. Thx again for the positive input, very much appreciated...Ddf

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note...I've started a post in the "General Discussion" forum...a contest to guess how many dimes are in a bowl...winner gets silver! Thx, Ddf

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
You tumbler looks almost identical to my Chicago tumbler. Be sure to put a drop of oil on the roller bearings occasionally

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
dirtdigginfool

Good job!
I too, "invested" in a cheap (Harbor Freight) rock tumbler, and never abused it, but it lasted a year and motor died

What Is The Make Of Your Tumbler ?? (please?) thanks!

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dirtdigginfool

Good job!
I too, "invested" in a cheap (Harbor Freight) rock tumbler, and never abused it, but it lasted a year and motor died

What Is The Make Of Your Tumbler ?? (please?) thanks!

I think Harbor Freight sells Lortone's. I've replaced a few parts through Shawn @ The Rock Shed. Great people to work with!! Stuff wears out....especially if you run them for 5 weeks with just a short stop to reload your barrels....

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Harbor Freight sells Lortone's. I've replaced a few parts through Shawn @ The Rock Shed. Great people to work with!! Stuff wears out....especially if you run them for 5 weeks with just a short stop to reload your barrels....

psyche! Wow, how did you know, 5 weeks?! Yeah, did over $300 worth of coins, then some, that year...!
I even bothered to level the machine, on my garage floor!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks!
I figure buying a lil ol' rock tumbler with TWO drums makes 'em last TWICE as long...?? =D lol
Well, I doubt I'll be going through as much coinage this time - I've promised to never let the hoard
accumulate seven years again, before cleaning...!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice I have the same machine, I think I bought it for the family as a Christmas gift 4 or 5 years ago, although I use it to tumble clad more than we ever tumbled rocks.
As far as a nice formula for tumbling I don't really care since it is clad. I usual just squirt a little dishsoap and add water and pea gravel let it tumble, I don't separate the copper out and it turns all the dimes/quarters kind of brownish color but don't care since I just cashing the clad.

For common wheats and other dug coins with no real value I'll tumble them with some sand and pea gravel just to make them look nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread