Folding metal detector modification kit, I made it work! Anyone interested?

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have modified my AT Pro and my Ace 350 md's which allows them to fold in seconds to a length of 27.5" !

The mod looks like it came from the factory and should work on any AT or Ace model. I am looking now at what other brands & models it will work with.

I can now fit my detector in a 30" case or slingbag, backpack, etc... Much easier to transport especially in a small vehicle or motorcycle.

Would anyone be interested in this mod if I made a kit available with the components, hardware and instructions?

If so, what would be a reasonable price? Keep in mind I have to make a profit.

Sorry that I can't post photos at this point, I am looking to patent the modification. Photos and/or a video will be available before I start selling the kits.

I would certainly appreciate opinions & questions.

Thanks & keep diggin!

Dan Willis

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's been done already Dan. Us old timers just take off the lower rod and throw it in our back packs. Pretty easy, and no mods required. Best of luck!:skullflag:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus you have to be a paying member to sell on TN. Plus no pics? Sorry dude, we hear this stuff all the time!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Required to be charter member to sell anything on TNet.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been done already Dan. Us old timers just take off the lower rod and throw it in our back packs. Pretty easy, and no mods required. Best of luck!:skullflag:

Maybe your Tesoro is quicker to take apart than a Garrett AT Pro. With the camlocks, coil connector, etc, it takes me a couple of minutes to disassemble plus there is going to be wear and tear on the waterproofing O-ring.

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus you have to be a paying member to sell on TN. Plus no pics? Sorry dude, we hear this stuff all the time!

No pics yet, I'm trying to see if there is enough interest in them before I invest any time in it. So far all I have seen is negative feedback. I'm not selling anything yet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No pics yet, I'm trying to see if there is enough interest in them before I invest any time in it. So far all I have seen is negative feedback. I'm not selling anything yet.

Sorry you feel that way, but, you'll have to realize that most sites and their members are skeptical of newbies offering "pie in the sky" offers with nothing to back them up. No offense meant, it's just a reality on the web these days. Once you get established, become a charter member, and have some photos to share, maybe you will see some interest. Good Luck with your venture! :icon_thumright:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you or anyone else has something never manufactured before and you consider it an Invention, DO NOT describe, or take pictures and post for everyone to read. You post a pic and I make and you are out of a sale, however, please remember that getting a patent is time consuming and costly. BTDT
Marvin

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
$20.00 for a Charter Membership is a pretty inexpensive investment where you can advertise the mods the minute you pay, versus a very heavy investment and long wait going the patent route. I don't see where getting a patent would be in your favor - you'd likely never get your investment back.

Besides, being a Charter Member is pretty cool - supporting TreasureNet as well.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
$20.00 for a Charter Membership is a pretty inexpensive investment where you can advertise the mods the minute you pay, versus a very heavy investment and long wait going the patent route. I don't see where getting a patent would be in your favor - you'd likely never get your investment back.

Besides, being a Charter Member is pretty cool - supporting TreasureNet as well.

Assuming he invented something unique...
IMO, the patent is so one can sell or lease it to a manufacturer of metal detectors. To show a unique or novel invention to anyone without protection is asking to get ripped off. Many an inventor has learned to keep secrets the hard way.

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone so far for their input.

My whole intention right now is too see how much interest there would be. That will determine if a patent would be worth pursuing or not.

Thanks,

Dan

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$20.00 for a Charter Membership is a pretty inexpensive investment where you can advertiose the mods the minute you pay, versus a very heavy investment and long wait going the patent route. I don't see where getting a patent would be in your favor - you'd likely never get your investment back.

True, $20 is not much. I thought about joining as a charter member anyway, but to be honest with all of the "attacks" that I have seen I thought about deleting my account. I have not felt very welcome as a noob here. I understand people are skeptical for anyone new trying to sell a new item, however I haven't offered anything for sale yet, I am trying to see if it would sell or not first.

I probably wouldn't sell any directly here anyway. I would go through e-bay so buyers are protected and all of the selling tools they have would make things easier to track.

Thanks and keep diggin!

Dan W.

Chocograph

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless you show us something I doubt anyone's going to show any interest except me. I am a noob myself with twenty hours in the field and you don't want to show me anything. Too bad. I mod a ton of videogame consoles myself and like the idea you present here but I can make it myself if I can be bothered to try. I don't really have a need for this but I'd still like to see if it's something that actually is sturdy and WORKS. I've been lurking the forum for a few years but I actually registered today just to message you but I'll live.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DW 373, No need to leave!
Im a member of several other forums for my other interests. I must say, every forum has a different type of people contributing. Dont be put off by negative feedback. However, try and think critically about your target audience. I like the idea of your foldable latch. Personally speaking though I break my detector down into pieces when I hike to a remote site(fits in a backpack). On other occasions I leave it assembled with the front shaft pushed in on the back seat of the car if Im going to a local park or to a site within short walking distance of the car.
Perhaps a better approach may have been to do some undercover research first and ask everyone here how (if) they break thier detectors down. The most important thing to keep in mind is that alot of us use our machines in the extremes bordering on abuse! So NO play should be able to develop over time. We hunt in water (sometimes salt water) and it has to be light weight.
If I were you I would do a thorough costing and try and do some undercover market research - on other forums, dealers, clubs etc. In my opinion the detecting community is quite small so even if it were an awsome product there may simply be not enough numbers to make a viable business. Thats not to say it wouldnt be an excellent 2nd income though!
While you're at it how about making an after market arm cuff ( with the folding legs built in), or a cover with a built in LED for non illuminated displays and a heated handgrip and a clip on RED LED for night hunting.

Welcome to treasure net.

All the best
Chub

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, $20 is not much. I thought about joining as a charter member anyway, but to be honest with all of the "attacks" that I have seen I thought about deleting my account. I have not felt very welcome as a noob here. I understand people are skeptical for anyone new trying to sell a new item, however I haven't offered anything for sale yet, I am trying to see if it would sell or not first.

I probably wouldn't sell any directly here anyway. I would go through e-bay so buyers are protected and all of the selling tools they have would make things easier to track.

Thanks and keep diggin!

Dan W.
If your attacked or see another member attacked report it so it can be addressed by mods.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one was attacked. He asked questions and was given answers. How can anyone give a "would you buy it" answer if we don't know what the item is. I just don't under stand why people are so soft that if they don't hear the answers they want to hear they're being attacked.

OP
OP
D

dw373

Greenie
Jun 19, 2017
NE Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one was attacked. He asked questions and was given answers. How can anyone give a "would you buy it" answer if we don't know what the item is. I just don't under stand why people are so soft that if they don't hear the answers they want to hear they're being attacked.

Maybe you don't read all that well? I haven't asked anyone "would you buy it?". I started this post to see how much interest there might be. If there is not enough interest then it won't be worth my time to bother trying to sell anything and certainly not the money it would take to purchase components in enough quantity to get my cost and pricepoint to be reasonable. I don't expect to make big bucks on this. I originally just thought of sharing the idea and making a video of what I have done for free but as soon as I do that someone will take the idea and try to sell it as their own.

Also... you're calling me soft? You probably haven't seen all the replies and certainly not the PM's so you wouldn't really know what all has been said.

It's funny how when someone logs in they somehow become the smartest, toughest guy around... if only one could somehow punch someone in the nose through the internet...

Chocograph

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my final comment is as long as it's sturdy and working properly I'm very interested if the price is right. Depends on the build quality.

Eleven Cents

Nov 30, 2016
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why everyone's being so hostile. If you have a good idea that isn't worth the hassle of a patent, just make a Kickstarter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread