Help with Whites Spectrum XLT...Prospecting tips

Crashcrew

Apr 24, 2017
Hesperus, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've just got a White's Spectrum XLT and I'm in an area with a lot of gold and a history of people back to the 1700's. I just don't know if I should trust the prospecting setting (basically all metal mode but the VDI only gives a number when it finds gold)? I know that no machine can just specifically find gold but any suggestions would help a fellow out. Also if anyone is in the Durango, Colorado area and wants to come out and MD with me and teach me a few things is welcome to come out to the ranch.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No all that great a prospecting machine. Much better for relics, coins, jewelry. I never had any luck with mine prospecting for gold. It will find the bigger nuggets, but no way it will find the tiny rice grain stuff like a Gold Bug will. If you insist on using it, I'd get a small coil and use the coin/jewelry program and add/subtract numbers based on the location. Run as high a sensitivity as you can without it falsing. Some areas you may have ground balance and hot rock problems, so, you may be forced into using the prospecting mode.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As mark says, it does have a "prospecting" mode, so you *could* find nuggets down to pinhead size . But there are much superior prospecting nugget machines than that. That machine was primarily made as a coin/relic machine. And BTW, a little "dated" at that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread