bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Everyone,

So this happened to me the other day and I'm kind of pissed off about it now. I know I cant really do anything about it except learn for next time it happens.
I did the honest thing and called this lady over from across the yard to hear the signal. I could have (should have) kept my mouth shut.
I would like to know what you all do about bucket list finds on someones property?
I understand if I ask permission on an old family farm the admirable thing to do is show everything and let them choose. This lady is renting the house with her boy-friend and doesn't own the property.
I also posted this on a Facebook Group and some people say "get it in writing". Is that really going to help?
BTW: the next day I sent her a private message but haven't heard back:
"I'll give you $20 for that other coin. In the condition it's in you could only get melt value which is about $6. For a metal detectorist like me it's on the bucket List. You could also take it to the El Cerrito Coin Exchange down the street from your house to see what it's worth. Please think about it. Thanks!"

Anyways here is the Facebook post:

"I finally found a Walking Liberty half-dollar! I also found a 1901 Barber half dollar in the same yard. I got a call from a lady who lost her keys gardening. She asked me what I wanted for payment and I said just let me hunt the rest of your yard. She said I could keep anything that I found. When I found the the Barber she immediately Googled how much it was worth and put it in her pocket. I stopped hunting.
1828A_1024x1024.jpg IMG_20170626_180553.jpg

Upvote 0

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Did you already find her keys? If not, GOOD. That's terrible. If you did find the keys before the coin, send her a bill equal to the googled cost of the coin.
You have expensive equipment and if you live in El Central, It's VERY hot.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crap happens, you know in your heart you dug one. More will come now that you dug your first. I am glad to say I never experienced what you went through. In my experience, most of the time the people only want to simply appease their curiosity by seeing what you dug, while others may ask for a relic or two. I did have one guy ask that if I dug 2 old coins of the same type and denomination, that he get the one of lesser value. I ended up giving him a thank you card with an IHP in it. That was the yard where I dug my banner find (1877 IHP).
a small price to pay for having a chance to dig old virgin property.

I do not blame you for ending the hunt. I would have done the same thing, but I certainly would have reminded the lady of our agreement. My ultimatum would have gone as follows: now do you want to keep the coin and pay me my normal fee for my services. By the way did you find the keys? If not, you do not have much leverage in the situation.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man. That is terrible - I don't think you have a legal leg to stand on, but a valuable lesson was learned. :sadsmiley:

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what I do.
Anytime I get permission to search someone's property, I always give the option of do you want what I find.
Most always the owner says keep anything you find. When they say that, anything I find of value, be it a walking liberty or a gold ring I don't advertise it. Even if you post your finds, never post the location you found it from.

Now, if I'm asked or paid by a property owner to search their property for them, then by all means, anything you find give it to them. Everything!!!!!! If you find something of historical or intrinsic value, ask if you can photograph it for your portfolio.

Standing rule, if they say keep anything you find, don't show the spoils.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SUCKS! Of her, but guess what? Not everyone in America gives us a warm fuzzy feeling.
You are right, you should have kept your mouth shut! But you didn't and lost a Barber. Such is how our lessens are learned. Usually the hard way.
I would not have stopped the hunt, there were 2 Silver halves there and now you don't know what else is there. I would have just started running two pockets in my pants. The keep and the Show. She already gave you everything you found.

OP
OP
B

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That SUCKS! Of her, but guess what? Not everyone in America gives us a warm fuzzy feeling.
You are right, you should have kept your mouth shut! But you didn't and lost a Barber. Such is how our lessens are learned. Usually the hard way.
I would not have stopped the hunt, there were 2 Silver halves there and now you don't know what else is there. I would have just started running two pockets in my pants. The keep and the Show. She already gave you everything you found.

I left on a good note (had to pick-up my son anyway) and told her I could hunt the rest of her yard when I had more time. She said OK. I'll make sure I bring an extra pocket if I go back.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't.

..I understand if I ask permission on an old family farm the admirable thing to do is show everything and let them choose..

View attachment 1466550

Live and learn, grasshopper..

Unless you made a deal to give up everything you worked for, then don't.

I immediately put the better finds in a different pocket, but act like it's just random trash. When you show your diggin's, let 'em see all the garbage you so nicely cleared out and only a few interesting finds.. no real treasure. Let 'em keep your crusty zincs if they want to. :tongue3:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live and learn, grasshopper..

Unless you made a deal to give up everything you worked for, then don't.

I immediately put the better finds in a different pocket, but act like it's just random trash. When you show your diggin's, let 'em see all the garbage you so nicely cleared out and only a few interesting finds.. no real treasure. Let 'em keep your crusty zincs if they want to. :tongue3:
Lets face it. Except for the rare banner find, we are not in the money making business. Work all day to dig a couple of keepers and a pocket full of nails and Pop tops is not a retirement Plan

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The way I look at it, I worked for the finds so I show them, "the pre-made finds pocket" The pre-made finds pocket is stuff i bring from home BEFORE I hunt. It contains(all dug) clad quarters, dimes, a few rotted zincs, some bent copper pieces, and two common 40s and/or 50s wheats. About 10 or so pieces. If it is a place that produced well I may come back with a piece of junk jewelry that I will insist on them taking it. The good stuff they never see.

If they lost a ring or something they asked me to find, if I find it I return it to them.

That may leave a bad taste in some peoples mouths, but that is life. No one is going to give you anything, and the sure as heck are going to wanna take it away from you.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way I look at it, I worked for the finds so I show them, "the pre-made finds pocket" The pre-made finds pocket is stuff i bring from home BEFORE I hunt..

No one is going to give you anything, and the sure as heck are going to wanna take it away from you.

I like the "pre-made finds" idea.. :thumbsup: I usually dig enough crap though, that I can show 'em the garbage I really do find.

While 99% of the time people do want to take stuff from you, I guess I look pathetic enough that some feel sorry for me too.. I was detecting a park once, a park that I know has been there since the early '50s. I figured there has to be some silver there and I'm sure there still is.
An elderly Phillipino woman walked over to where I was detecting around an old tree, then stood and watched me for a few minutes. She finally asked "what are you doing?". I told her that I'm looking for old coins... She pulled two dollars from her purse, tossed 'em down in front of me and walked away... I yelled "thank you, but I don't need the money, I'm actually pretty well off". Then she came back and put a full (unopened) can of soda down next to me.. I was laughing for a good while. I guess it pays to have a long beard and wear old shabby clothes while I detect.. Anyone remember Jethro Tull's "aqualung"? Sort of the look, but my hair is shorter and my beard much longer.. :tongue3:

IMG_0764.JPG

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to read that happened to you. I feel you were honest with her and that she acted greedy.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the "pre-made finds" idea.. :thumbsup: I usually dig enough crap though, that I can show 'em the garbage I really do find.

While 99% of the time people do want to take stuff from you, I guess I look pathetic enough that some feel sorry for me too.. I was detecting a park once, a park that I know has been there since the early '50s. I figured there has to be some silver there and I'm sure there still is.
An elderly Phillipino woman walked over to where I was detecting around an old tree, then stood and watched me for a few minutes. She finally asked "what are you doing?". I told her that I'm looking for old coins... She pulled two dollars from her purse, tossed 'em down in front of me and walked away... I yelled "thank you, but I don't need the money, I'm actually pretty well off". Then she came back and put a full (unopened) can of soda down next to me.. I was laughing for a good while. I guess it pays to have a long beard and wear old shabby clothes while I detect.. Anyone remember Jethro Tull's "aqualung"? Sort of the look, but my hair is shorter and my beard much longer.. :tongue3:

View attachment 1466769
Her heart was in the right place. We need more of that. Whether or not you needed it!

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't go back. She reneged on the deal. Shows the true nature of her character. Next she will claim you damaged something or some other ludicrous claim. You always have the right to refuse service. All my other thoughts are not fit to print here. Just my opinion.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't go back. She reneged on the deal. Shows the true nature of her character. Next she will claim you damaged something or some other ludicrous claim. You always have the right to refuse service. All my other thoughts are not fit to print here. Just my opinion.
SHes a renter! What can she claim?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions