Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to know if your going to use it in fresh water or salt. Are you going to dive with it or not. How do you handle frustration at digging tiny pieces of bread wrappers?

ewtaylor

Mar 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only owned one underwater detector, and it was bought this year. I bought a used garrett infinium pi detector. PI detector are all metal machines and believe me, they pick up ALL metal. I chose this machine because I also relic hunt in fields and woods and wanted a deep seeker. Also because the kids are grown so me and the wife speND our vacation at the beach.
If you have never used a PI detector I can tell you it's a learning experience. I like the infinium has a dual tone to help differinciate some of the metals. I've been practicing at a local freshwater beach and have scooped a lot of junk, but have been getting better at guessing what the targets are.
Hope this helps,
Wayne

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are going into salt water, the excal II is the way to go.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want discrimination and will be in salt water (or wet salt water sand) you're going to want a Minelab CTX (if not diving deeper than 10') The Excalibur (if you are) or a Fisher CZ20/21. PI machines work great in the salt water too, but, they don't have much in discrimination and you'll be spend time digging iron junk. Depending on how iron infested your beach is, that can be most of your time, or, not be a big deal. If money isn't an issue, I'd get the Garrett Infinium LS. If money is an issue, the Tesoro Sand Shark is a bargain and works well. The White's Dual Field is another good choice for something in the middle. Forget the Garrett AT series and the White's MX Sport. They claim to work on salt water beaches, but, they don't work well there. To get them stable, you have to turn the sensitivity way down and lose depth. Not what you want when competing for targets with other hunters. If you will be in fresh water only, the ones I mentioned will work great there too. So will the AT Pro and MX Sport, but, they're still limited to the 10' depth like the CTX. Another consideration is coil size. for large expanses of sand, the biggest coil you can get will aid in coverage. For water use, a small coil is much easier to swing. This might sway your decision on which to get, as many of these units don't have interchange coils.....at least not easily interchangeable. The CTX is easy to swap coils as is the Infinium LS. The rest are hard wired and require disassembly to swap them unless you install a waterproof coil connector (and probably void your warranty)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
I was planning on diving the rivers to look for gold. I imagine most depths will be shallower than 30 feet for the most part

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM , great prices and he a fun guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread