First treasure! Coin stash!

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted for a few hours today at a few different spots...i was all done and was walking back to the car...i saw a small concrete slab kinda sitting cockeyed obviously broke off previous construction that had been there...i caught a signal partially under it partially under grass...started walking away and said what the hell let me see if i can pull that out...tipped it over and shazam pulled out this can of coins wrapped in a piece of cloth.holy crap man! I havent even found a wheatie or indian yet! So obviously i am thrilled! The only problem is an ethical one...arghhh...so heres the thing...i technically didnt get permission to hunt the property but i am a renter there and it was in a vacant lot next store which i believe is the same owner ie. My landlord. So do i offer it to the owner? Also it is possible my downstairs neighbor(who is an eccentric jeweler) could have hid it there for yuks...should i mention it to him? I should also mention that there is a "gold" place within a stones throw...kinda what passes for a pawn shop in pa here...they buy and sell gold and jewelry...i know they buy and sell coins like this so i find that an odd coincidence...or not.
So id appreciate any old timers who want to chime in and tell me what the ethical thing is to do.
Thank you.
Gentle Message_1499383098169.jpg 20170706_194525.jpg 20170706_194628.jpg 20170706_194548.jpg 20170706_194717.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep the coins, return the trash.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Outside

What type(wool, cotton?) and condition of the cloth(yellowed, rotted)? If you can provide some more detail, I can give you a good idea where it came from(thats why im asking).

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you can do whats right for you. If it bothers you enough to ask for advice then you already have the answer. hmmmm...I should write fortune cookies for a living!

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What type(wool, cotton?) and condition of the cloth(yellowed, rotted)? If you can provide some more detail, I can give you a good idea where it came from(thats why im asking).
I left it under the rock...appeared to be cotton maybe from a tshirt...was still white although dirty in spots...ill grab it when i go back. My impression was that it hadnt been there too long but i have no idea how cloth weathers in that condition or how fast.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find, but a stash that small was probably put there by the young pirate that stole it. Keep the coins, but put something nasty in the canister and put it back where you found it. Teach him a lesson. :angry9:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbers look to be 5 to 10 ea

Yea not worth big $.
But
I have never dug a Barber Half (or a Quarter). So I'd TREASURE this Find ; Funny how that works.

As I would pay just above 'Scrap' price for the Halves if I were to buy them.
The ' Penny's ' are cool to.

Keep-em unless somebody asks where they went, IMO Even if wrapped in a Cloth the container held up well , even under a slab, so they may have not been buried that long.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left it under the rock...appeared to be cotton maybe from a tshirt...was still white although dirty in spots...ill grab it when i go back. My impression was that it hadnt been there too long but i have no idea how cloth weathers in that condition or how fast.

Sorry I should have read all the reply's before posting.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
White cotton tee shirt dirty in spots. Well, IMO, this was recently placed(from mid 2015 to a few weeks ago). The coins themselves are a unique story. The have heavy wear, they were in circulation for a long time before someone pulled them out(early 1940's at the latest). The cents are a bit of a mystery to me. When you first posted, I thought you lived in Canada or near the border.

Judging by the entire contents, I would say this cache was owned originally by a woman that worked in a bank for a year or less up north before they moved into the area(around late 1940's) and gave it to her husband. One of them was a photographer. This was handed down around late 1960's to early 1980's.

Now at this point, its a bit sketchy. Up until mid 2015 to a few weeks ago, this may have been stolen and stashed because the person who stole it, got cold feet before he can pawn it.

(edited that was supposed to be 2015)

Last edited:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would send an email to a stranger in Nigeria requesting funds to release the coins....

In all seriousness your moral compass is far too strong. You may want to turn it down as it could affect your detector. Nice find. Send Terry Soloman the canister for that weed and keep the coins. I'm sure you're giving the landlord enough already .

Chub

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the finds. Tell no one and have as much fun as you can stand!

Well done sir.

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok soooooooo...I found out today that my dowstairs neighbor hid it under there as a surprise for a kid to find. Needless to say Im disappointed that I ruined it for him. Im gonna add a couple treasures to it and put it back. Sure was exciting to find though!

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was that person able to confirm what was in the canister before you told him about the contents? You know how those downstairs neighbours can be.......

Lone_Star

Greenie
May 1, 2015
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
•’14-‘16 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
•’16-‘19 Tecknetics Delta 4000
•’19-‘current Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
🤩
Nice find!
I just posted a post that is freakishly like this one!

CarsonChris

Feb 11, 2019
Carson City NV
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don’t say anything and cool find. Wish I could find a coin stash.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice find.Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread