First treasure! Coin stash!

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted for a few hours today at a few different spots...i was all done and was walking back to the car...i saw a small concrete slab kinda sitting cockeyed obviously broke off previous construction that had been there...i caught a signal partially under it partially under grass...started walking away and said what the hell let me see if i can pull that out...tipped it over and shazam pulled out this can of coins wrapped in a piece of cloth.holy crap man! I havent even found a wheatie or indian yet! So obviously i am thrilled! The only problem is an ethical one...arghhh...so heres the thing...i technically didnt get permission to hunt the property but i am a renter there and it was in a vacant lot next store which i believe is the same owner ie. My landlord. So do i offer it to the owner? Also it is possible my downstairs neighbor(who is an eccentric jeweler) could have hid it there for yuks...should i mention it to him? I should also mention that there is a "gold" place within a stones throw...kinda what passes for a pawn shop in pa here...they buy and sell gold and jewelry...i know they buy and sell coins like this so i find that an odd coincidence...or not.
So id appreciate any old timers who want to chime in and tell me what the ethical thing is to do.
Thank you.
Gentle Message_1499383098169.jpg 20170706_194525.jpg 20170706_194628.jpg 20170706_194548.jpg 20170706_194717.jpg

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the victoria pennies are bronze and arent worth much in this poor condition?

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barbers look to be 5 to 10 ea

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found them, you keep them

OP
OP
gentleone444

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5 to 10 on the walking liberty also in poor condition...im less and less worried about this haha...i got maybe 35 bux in value here haha...sure was a blast to find though...

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep your finds, and the location you found them to yourself. Anyone you ask "hey would you like this money I found" is gonna say uhhh yea.

They are your finds, leave it at that!!!!!

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally all finds are the property of the landowner unless other permissions were discussed before hand with the landowner.
Cool find anyway!

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
So the cloth was in the can or outside the can?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a film canister.( Camera film.)
Nicer than those I remember ,but also looks like it was outdoors awhile.
Was the cloth in rough shape from exposure?
If so ,it was squirreled away quite a while ago.

I don' t know the law where you are. It matters once you advertise a find.
I would not take what I knew was a landlords personal property ,but if paying rent would not hesitate to keep old coins found detecting without saying anything.
Been a long time ,but when I rented ,permission to dig was never asked. Or recovering things from previous tenants.
A knife hidden in a hundred year old cold air return. Tractor seat out of old dump ect..

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't put Humpty-Dumpty back together again, ethics were shot when you trespassed, so welcome to the Outlaw side of TH'ing.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep it for the thrill of the ride. You rent so technically you had permission to be there.....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Send them to me. Problem solved! :occasion14:

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest you ask the owner for permission, and if he owns that vacant part - or "where are the property lines?" when he says yes, you say thanks, and hope you don't mind I happened to already find this ... You came clean and it is doubtful he will take the permission back after the fact.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose lips sink ships, keep them.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not the money it's the "find" which you found. I would be jumping for joy if I found that!! And you asked would I say something??....LMAO!!!!! please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boogeymans RULE #1 (once again)
Dig it up
Put it up
Shut up

Keep the 35mm film can, I've sold several to camera collectors for between $2 - $4.

Seriously though. Did you finish searching the area? Bet you didn't. Go back and check the rest of the area because we all know you got excited about your find and didn't finish your search.

BTW Great find!!!! Display it!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread