AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are no rules in writing to prohibit metal detecting, when have you ever heard of someone being cuffed and put into a police car? Do you have any examples of that? I hear these tales of doom, but, never have I seen a published report or first hand account of one.

I guess that's how they do it in New Yawk, cuff n stuff, or is that stop and frisk? Likely just fear mongering.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest reading the attached.

I agree with Tom wholeheartedly......except for his last paragraph. Rules can be changed, and have. If you have a local law prohibiting detecting, get together with other detectorists in your area to change it. If your voice becomes louder than the ones who enacted the law, it can be reversed. As my late father referred to often....."politicians can screw up a free lunch, but, one thing they do very well, is count votes".

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys I was going to go to New Orleans tomorrow to hunt this library but rain rain rain all day tomorrow. Next Sunday it shall be....hopefully. I hate hurricane season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That argument falls apart when you are sitting in the rear seat of a police car with your hands cuffed behind your back.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But it's easier to ask permission than arrange legal council in a court case.

I believe the police have more important things to do then arrest us for searching public libraries which we all pay for support. Only if signs up stating we cannot search the lands, we can go for it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the police have more important things to do then arrest us for searching public libraries which we all pay for support. Only if signs up stating we cannot search the lands, we can go for it.

And there is the problem. "It belongs to all taxpayers". So if you show up and start removing things they are not being shared by all taxpayers. Just you.

Ask permission. It's the right thing to do. But maybe we're more polite in New York than other states?

Your tax dollars have paid for highways as well. But start digging a hole in the center lane of the interstate and it won't go well for you, either.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And there is the problem. "It belongs to all taxpayers". So if you show up and start removing things they are not being shared by all taxpayers. Just you.

Ask permission. It's the right thing to do. But maybe we're more polite in New York than other states?

Your tax dollars have paid for highways as well. But start digging a hole in the center lane of the interstate and it won't go well for you, either.

I've been to New York City. The rudest city I've been too and that's the God's honest truth.

P.S. And trying to dig a hole in the middle of the interstate wouldn't be rude, but I would be stupid in every way. I'm going to stick with the example of the public park and dig it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York City is only 2% of the area of New York State. Don't judge the rest of us by that port of entry. I avoid that place like the plague. Too many people too close together. My town has a population of 2,200. Much better.

I used to go to the International Paper Towers in Memphis four times a year and most folks there were jerks. We called them "the Ferengi" (with a nod to Deep Space Nine/Star Trek of the time). I don't judge all of Tennessee folks to be the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New York City is only 2% of the area of New York State. Don't judge the rest of us by that port of entry. I avoid that place like the plague. Too many people too close together. My town has a population of 2,200. Much better.

I used to go to the International Paper Towers in Memphis four times a year and most folks there were jerks. We called them "the Ferengi" (with a nod to Deep Space Nine/Star Trek of the time). I don't judge all of Tennessee folks to be the same.

That's why I made sure I said "New York City" because that's all I've been to in New York. But I'd bet my last dollar that sSoutherners are more polite overall.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
As with any property you do not personally control, it is up to you to determine all rules pertaining to use of that property. What is permitted in one municipality may be forbidden in another, for a multitude of reasons. Find out both what is expressly forbidden, and what is specifically allowed. Anything between would be the perview of the grounds manager for that facility.

In short, ask. Accept the answer. If positive, be thankful. If negative, be polite and move on.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
They'd probably say they can't give you permission , because it's not their own private property.

You could try asking the police if you could be fined for detecting the library grounds. They may not have ever been asked that question, and might just say well maybe if you left a big hole that could injure someone. Many cops detect or know 1 or 2 that do. Unless you do major damage my guess is you might be told to leave, rather than cuffed & jailed, which would cost taxpayers more than a handful of grass seed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are, the person you ask for permission doesn't know the rules either, but, they will likely give their biased answer. Look the rules up yourself. If it's public, it has rules in writing somewhere. Most towns have them available online these days. If not, you can view them at the courthouse or hall of records. Asking bureaucrats just opens too many cans of worms.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chances are, the person you ask for permission doesn't know the rules either, but, they will likely give their biased answer. Look the rules up yourself. If it's public, it has rules in writing somewhere. Most towns have them available online these days. If not, you can view them at the courthouse or hall of records. Asking bureaucrats just opens too many cans of worms.

Anything with the word "public" in front of it is fair game in Louisiana.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything with the word "public" in front of it is fair game in Louisiana.

I'm not sure I would rely on that completely. Laws can be changed pretty quickly if people abuse the situation. You should still use some common sense and hunt potentially sensitive areas at off peak hours. Keeping off the complainers' radar doesn't hurt a bit. Hunting at night has it's benefits this time of year. No sunburn or need for lotion, no traffic, easy parking, it's usually a lot cooler, no kids (or adults for that matter) to pester you, etc. Just keep one eye and ear out for safety, or better yet, hunt with a buddy.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not sure I would rely on that completely. Laws can be changed pretty quickly if people abuse the situation. You should still use some common sense and hunt potentially sensitive areas at off peak hours. Keeping off the complainers' radar doesn't hurt a bit. Hunting at night has it's benefits this time of year. No sunburn or need for lotion, no traffic, easy parking, it's usually a lot cooler, no kids (or adults for that matter) to pester you, etc. Just keep one eye and ear out for safety, or better yet, hunt with a buddy.

I do

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree about asking permission first. It is a lot easiest for those in power to say no then yes. Good hunting and good luck.

This happens every time I ask the person in charge. I live in the city and the simple answer is always "NO".

Look it up on your town's website. If it doesn't say 'No Metal Detecting" then I would detect it as early in the morning as possible and stop when people start showing up. Make sure you "Leave No Trace".
You could also wear an orange vest & hardhat and carry a clipboard. No one will bother you, works for me! :dontknow:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
6:00AM on Sunday morning!

I hunted the one in the old part of our town.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm surprised someone hasn't popped up with trespassing yet!?!? The statement "I'm not trespassing!" & the response, "If you stepped off the asphalt you're trespassing. Someone owns that land." Worked every time never got a response back except for Err uhhh well uhh oh alright........... Think about it! If you asked for permission every single time you got out of your vehicle out of a years detecting, you'd more than likely have 3 hours of actual swinging! If you just use common sense you'll not have any problems, if you do? Apply more common sense. You chose to either escalate or deescalate the situation.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I made sure I said "New York City" because that's all I've been to in New York. But I'd bet my last dollar that sSoutherners are more polite overall.

Here in the south, a true gentleman or lady would greet you with open arms at the library steps, would engage in polite conversation and, let you go on your way. As soon as you turn your back, the police would have you jacked against the car as fast as you can say fiddle sticks. And as you ride away into the sunset, lights and sirens blaring, a quiet whisper of "Bless his heart" would be heard from one end of town to the next.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread