Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Question on detecting public libraries

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6085 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Interesting thread. I've detected library lawns w/o issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie P. (NY) View Post
    .... I won't hurt to ask first ....
    "Won't hurt to ask" ? Well if they say "no" (when perhaps no such rule exists), then to me, that "hurts". Because they might have images of geeks with shovels, and simply pass out the "safe" answer (when in fact might never have given the matter a moment's thought). To me, that "hurts"

.... the person at the desk is likely to be the only one to call the police if you haven't....
    Do you have any examples of anyone being arrested, jailed, cuffed, ticketed, for md'ing a library lawn ? (just curious)

And there is the problem. "It belongs to all taxpayers". So if you show up and start removing things they are not being shared by all taxpayers. Just you....
    Technically yes, this is true. But the moment you go down THAT path, is the moment you can just give up detecting on every speck of public land. Because the same can be said of everywhere. I mean .... when someone gets into this hobby of metal detecting, it seems to me that it might have occurred to them that it involves "taking things" that "belong to the taxpayers". If that's wrong (which, yes, a lawyer could probably argue), then that's the day you and I have chosen the wrong hobby. It's intrinsic in the definition of our hobby from the git-go.

.... But start digging a hole in the center lane of the interstate and it won't go well for you, either.
    I realize you're only exaggerating to make a point, but .... the example you give (of digging holes in the freeway) is a distinct example of inherent evil, wrong, damage, etc.... If that's the definition of md'ing, then everything else you're saying logically follows. But since when is md'ing inherently evil and damaging ?? If someone is leaving THAT degree of damage, then they need to repeat target retrieval 101 class.

Quote Originally Posted by galenrog View Post
    As with any property you do not personally control, it is up to you to determine all rules pertaining to use of that property.....
    Sure. And they can do that by looking up said rules for themselves. Right ? And if no rule exists that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not disallowed. Right ? And to the extent that "rules might change", fine then: So too does the rule books. If a rule is updated, then presto, it's in the updated rule list that are available for public viewing. No need to go asking bored pencil pushers and risking a "safe" answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaveab View Post
    It should be noteworthy that not all 'public libraries' are publicly owned. It just means the public is welcome to use the facility.
    Perhaps. Sure. And I consider metal detecting to be a proper & legitimate "use" of the facility. Don't you ?
    Truth1253 and Honest Samuel like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    Interesting thread. I've detected library lawns w/o issue before.

"Won't hurt to ask" ? Well if they say "no" (when perhaps no such rule exists), then to me, that "hurts". Because they might have images of geeks with shovels, and simply pass out the "safe" answer (when in fact might never have given the matter a moment's thought). To me, that "hurts"

Do you have any examples of anyone being arrested, jailed, cuffed, ticketed, for md'ing a library lawn ? (just curious)

Technically yes, this is true. But the moment you go down THAT path, is the moment you can just give up detecting on every speck of public land. Because the same can be said of everywhere. I mean .... when someone gets into this hobby of metal detecting, it seems to me that it might have occurred to them that it involves "taking things" that "belong to the taxpayers". If that's wrong (which, yes, a lawyer could probably argue), then that's the day you and I have chosen the wrong hobby. It's intrinsic in the definition of our hobby from the git-go.

I realize you're only exaggerating to make a point, but .... the example you give (of digging holes in the freeway) is a distinct example of inherent evil, wrong, damage, etc.... If that's the definition of md'ing, then everything else you're saying logically follows. But since when is md'ing inherently evil and damaging ?? If someone is leaving THAT degree of damage, then they need to repeat target retrieval 101 class.

Sure. And they can do that by looking up said rules for themselves. Right ? And if no rule exists that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not disallowed. Right ? And to the extent that "rules might change", fine then: So too does the rule books. If a rule is updated, then presto, it's in the updated rule list that are available for public viewing. No need to go asking bored pencil pushers and risking a "safe" answer.

Perhaps. Sure. And I consider metal detecting to be a proper & legitimate "use" of the facility. Don't you ?
    Tom you hit it out the park as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1557 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Welcome back Tom, we miss you.
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    Sir

Sep 2015
    Connecticut
    Minelab
    1557 times
    It is a lot easy for people in power to say no then yes. Since the libraries are public lands, search without asking permission.
    Truth1253 likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6085 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Samuel View Post
    Welcome back Tom, we miss you.
    Yeah, I got too sarcastic in mimicking someone's point, that it was deemed ridicule. So I got a time-out Missed you too

As for this type question: There's always a middle-ground. So I guess it takes both extremes (the brazen to the timid) chiming in, to illustrate the pros & con's. To find the right middle ground.

Good to be back. Just got a few seated dimes @ a ghost town trip, so I've been busy none-the-less
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    papa

Feb 2017
    North Charleston, SC
    Fisher F75
    164 times
    Metal Detecting
    I agree with cudamark.
    Tom_in_CA likes this.

us
    Nov 2012
    Cincinnati Ohio
    White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
    1821 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    For the love of God Truth! Get out there and detect it so we can end the mystery!
    Truth1253 likes this.

us
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it” ― Thomas Jefferson

Apr 2016
    Abita Springs....Born in New Orleans
    AT PRO Fisher F75 LTD
    2718 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRieman View Post
    For the love of God Truth! Get out there and detect it so we can end the mystery!
    LMAO!!!!!! I'm going next Sunday it rained yesterday. You made my day. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, UniProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i
    3888 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Yeah, I got too sarcastic in mimicking someone's point, that it was deemed ridicule. So I got a time-out Missed you too

As for this type question: There's always a middle-ground. So I guess it takes both extremes (the brazen to the timid) chiming in, to illustrate the pros & con's. To find the right middle ground.

Good to be back. Just got a few seated dimes @ a ghost town trip, so I've been busy none-the-less
    Welcome back you law breaker you! . Been trying to carry your water, but, glad to have you back to carry your own load.
    Truth1253, RobRieman and Tom_in_CA like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Charter Member
    us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
    6428 times
    Metal Detecting

No. Do you have examples of someone who detected and dug on a library property and didn't get arrested?

What am I? The Police Blotter? I doubt jail would be in order but a ticket might come along - especially if you got mouthy.
    Last edited by Charlie P. (NY); Jul 17, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    6085 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ....Do you have examples of someone who detected and dug on a library property and didn't get arrested? ....
    Yes.

But I can see the reply already: "Perhaps that/us persons 'just got lucky' " Eh ? Conversely, if there ever WERE a case of "someone arrested" for detecting a library lawn, then the converse can equally be said by: "That person just got un-lucky".

In the same way this example holds true: There's invariably a story in the news somewhere, of someone who gets roughed up, ticketed, jailed, fined, etc.... for nothing but a tail-light out. By an over-zealous cop having a bad hair day. Yet I'll bet that when you read such a story, it doesn't stop you from driving. You would mentally write such things off as "flukes". So if we let our entire lives be driven by "what if's ?", the day will come when you won't leave your front door in the morning.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links