Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
don't know if they are open on sundays - when I was younger - I hit a few very old ones and did very good
they used to sit out and read on the grass way back when - specially in warmer months when they had no inside AC
so kids would lose coins in the grass - I would just go on a sunday if closed - just do a good job with plugs

On Sunday they're open from 2-5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swaveab

Jul 21, 2015
Southwest PA
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
Other
It should be noteworthy that not all 'public libraries' are publicly owned. It just means the public is welcome to use the facility.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II ฮผMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was a residential house from 1907 till 1948 and was donated to the city, to become a library, in memory of their son who died in a automobile accident. View attachment 1469716 Now you see why I want to detect it?

I'd want to detect there too!

One potential problem that I see though... Never mind it being a "public" library - the town or city is likely calling that house a "historic building" and some local busy-body will call the cops in a second if they see a stranger detecting and digging around it. Scout it out, look for any signs proclaiming it to be a historic place. If you see nothing like that..go for it.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Interesting thread. I've detected library lawns w/o issue before.

.... I won't hurt to ask first ....

"Won't hurt to ask" ? Well if they say "no" (when perhaps no such rule exists), then to me, that "hurts". Because they might have images of geeks with shovels, and simply pass out the "safe" answer (when in fact might never have given the matter a moment's thought). To me, that "hurts"

.... the person at the desk is likely to be the only one to call the police if you haven't....

Do you have any examples of anyone being arrested, jailed, cuffed, ticketed, for md'ing a library lawn ? (just curious)

And there is the problem. "It belongs to all taxpayers". So if you show up and start removing things they are not being shared by all taxpayers. Just you....

Technically yes, this is true. But the moment you go down THAT path, is the moment you can just give up detecting on every speck of public land. Because the same can be said of everywhere. I mean .... when someone gets into this hobby of metal detecting, it seems to me that it might have occurred to them that it involves "taking things" that "belong to the taxpayers". If that's wrong (which, yes, a lawyer could probably argue), then that's the day you and I have chosen the wrong hobby. It's intrinsic in the definition of our hobby from the git-go.

.... But start digging a hole in the center lane of the interstate and it won't go well for you, either.

I realize you're only exaggerating to make a point, but .... the example you give (of digging holes in the freeway) is a distinct example of inherent evil, wrong, damage, etc.... If that's the definition of md'ing, then everything else you're saying logically follows. But since when is md'ing inherently evil and damaging ?? If someone is leaving THAT degree of damage, then they need to repeat target retrieval 101 class.

As with any property you do not personally control, it is up to you to determine all rules pertaining to use of that property.....

Sure. And they can do that by looking up said rules for themselves. Right ? And if no rule exists that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not disallowed. Right ? And to the extent that "rules might change", fine then: So too does the rule books. If a rule is updated, then presto, it's in the updated rule list that are available for public viewing. No need to go asking bored pencil pushers and risking a "safe" answer.

It should be noteworthy that not all 'public libraries' are publicly owned. It just means the public is welcome to use the facility.

Perhaps. Sure. And I consider metal detecting to be a proper & legitimate "use" of the facility. Don't you ? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting thread. I've detected library lawns w/o issue before.

"Won't hurt to ask" ? Well if they say "no" (when perhaps no such rule exists), then to me, that "hurts". Because they might have images of geeks with shovels, and simply pass out the "safe" answer (when in fact might never have given the matter a moment's thought). To me, that "hurts"

Do you have any examples of anyone being arrested, jailed, cuffed, ticketed, for md'ing a library lawn ? (just curious)

Technically yes, this is true. But the moment you go down THAT path, is the moment you can just give up detecting on every speck of public land. Because the same can be said of everywhere. I mean .... when someone gets into this hobby of metal detecting, it seems to me that it might have occurred to them that it involves "taking things" that "belong to the taxpayers". If that's wrong (which, yes, a lawyer could probably argue), then that's the day you and I have chosen the wrong hobby. It's intrinsic in the definition of our hobby from the git-go.

I realize you're only exaggerating to make a point, but .... the example you give (of digging holes in the freeway) is a distinct example of inherent evil, wrong, damage, etc.... If that's the definition of md'ing, then everything else you're saying logically follows. But since when is md'ing inherently evil and damaging ?? If someone is leaving THAT degree of damage, then they need to repeat target retrieval 101 class.

Sure. And they can do that by looking up said rules for themselves. Right ? And if no rule exists that says "no metal detecting", then presto, it's not disallowed. Right ? And to the extent that "rules might change", fine then: So too does the rule books. If a rule is updated, then presto, it's in the updated rule list that are available for public viewing. No need to go asking bored pencil pushers and risking a "safe" answer.

Perhaps. Sure. And I consider metal detecting to be a proper & legitimate "use" of the facility. Don't you ? :dontknow:

Tom you hit it out the park as usual

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a lot easy for people in power to say no then yes. Since the libraries are public lands, search without asking permission.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Welcome back Tom, we miss you.

Yeah, I got too sarcastic in mimicking someone's point, that it was deemed ridicule. So I got a time-out :( Missed you too :)

As for this type question: There's always a middle-ground. So I guess it takes both extremes (the brazen to the timid) chiming in, to illustrate the pros & con's. To find the right middle ground.

Good to be back. Just got a few seated dimes @ a ghost town trip, so I've been busy none-the-less :)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the love of God Truth! Get out there and detect it so we can end the mystery! [emoji12][emoji106]

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I got too sarcastic in mimicking someone's point, that it was deemed ridicule. So I got a time-out :( Missed you too :)

As for this type question: There's always a middle-ground. So I guess it takes both extremes (the brazen to the timid) chiming in, to illustrate the pros & con's. To find the right middle ground.

Good to be back. Just got a few seated dimes @ a ghost town trip, so I've been busy none-the-less :)

Welcome back you law breaker you! :laughing7:. Been trying to carry your water, but, glad to have you back to carry your own load. :notworthy:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

No. Do you have examples of someone who detected and dug on a library property and didn't get arrested?

What am I? The Police Blotter? I doubt jail would be in order but a ticket might come along - especially if you got mouthy.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....Do you have examples of someone who detected and dug on a library property and didn't get arrested? ....

Yes.

But I can see the reply already: "Perhaps that/us persons 'just got lucky' " Eh ? Conversely, if there ever WERE a case of "someone arrested" for detecting a library lawn, then the converse can equally be said by: "That person just got un-lucky".

In the same way this example holds true: There's invariably a story in the news somewhere, of someone who gets roughed up, ticketed, jailed, fined, etc.... for nothing but a tail-light out. By an over-zealous cop having a bad hair day. Yet I'll bet that when you read such a story, it doesn't stop you from driving. You would mentally write such things off as "flukes". So if we let our entire lives be driven by "what if's ?", the day will come when you won't leave your front door in the morning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread