SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get permission! If you do, remember that you have to be absolutely quiet while you're detecting!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's public property, there are published rules about it's use. I'd look it up myself. If I do't find anything prohibiting it, I'd detect it. They're not going to put you in jail or confiscate your equipment if there isn't a hard and fast rule. I'd still hunt at off hours though, just to avoid the complainers.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know where you're located, but I've searched two in Calif. Never had a problem. Common sense is a must. Give the buildings a wide berth, go after say 8pm and leave by 10pm. Any later than that you really stand out to the bored cops looking for something to do. If you can work without a light on your head do it. Lights just draw attention you don't want. And the obvious leave you holes invisible. You're probably the first to think of detecting there, so have fun with it.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go early, don't ask, enjoy your public land.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Do not detect the library after hours when no workers are there...... (Unless you stay outside the building.)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do not detect the library after hours when no workers are there...... (Unless you stay outside the building.)

I was gonna hid in the bathroom until everyone left and metal detect around the dewey decimal system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most public libraries are going to be local municipal or county owned & operated.

I won't hurt to ask first - as the person at the desk is likely to be the only one to call the police if you haven't.

And don't forget - there are probably more good resources inside for great hunting sites than the library grounds themselves. Who digs around in their pockets before entering a library?

Where where the fair grounds, circus lots, airshow fields, picnic grounds?

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree about asking permission first. It is a lot easiest for those in power to say no then yes. Good hunting and good luck.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most public libraries are going to be local municipal or county owned & operated.

I won't hurt to ask first - as the person at the desk is likely to be the only one to call the police if you haven't.

And don't forget - there are probably more good resources inside for great hunting sites than the library grounds themselves. Who digs around in their pockets before entering a library?

Where where the fair grounds, circus lots, airshow fields, picnic grounds?

It was a residential house from 1907 till 1948 and was donated to the city, to become a library, in memory of their son who died in a automobile accident. IMG_0598.JPG Now you see why I want to detect it?

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I disagree about asking permission first. It is a lot easiest for those in power to say no then yes. Good hunting and good luck.

Thanks Honest that's the way I feel. If I don't have to, I shouldn't have too.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That argument falls apart when you are sitting in the rear seat of a police car with your hands cuffed behind your back.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But it's easier to ask permission than arrange legal council in a court case.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That argument falls apart when you are sitting in the rear seat of a police car with your hands cuffed behind your back.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. But it's easier to ask permission than arrange legal council in a court case.

All of our public parks allow detecting, all of our public schools allow detecting. Why wouldn't a public library be any different? My tax dollars keep the light on. And I promise the police wouldn't take me to jail. Lol It's a little more laid back down here.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If there are no rules in writing to prohibit metal detecting, when have you ever heard of someone being cuffed and put into a police car? Do you have any examples of that? I hear these tales of doom, but, never have I seen a published report or first hand account of one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread