New guessing contest with a silver prize!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 2014 I held a contest where I posted pictures of the clad that I had accumulated from my hunts and had TreasureNet members guess how much it totaled. Since then a few other members, including BladeRunner2019, Carolina Tom, and DeepseekerADS have held similar contests. Thank you to those members and any others who I may have missed. I think these types of contests are fun and a nice little variation from the typical show and tell posts. For that reason I decided that I wanted to hold another contest, but I wanted to do something different than having folks guess the total of a clad pile.

Well after each of my hunts I dump my trash into a couple of buckets in my garage. In fact I weighed them and I had 66 pounds of trash. I figure that it took me a couple of years to fill up the buckets. As I was emptying out my pouch after a recent hunt, it dawned on me as to what I can do. So here is my latest contest:

Guess how many pull tabs are in this pile of trash that I have dug in the past couple of years. I dumped it all out on my workbench so you can get a better look at it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804909.444377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804932.892453.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804948.945207.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804962.028600.jpg

It took a few days to sort through it all, but I finally finished and separated out all of the pull tabs. Frankly it took substantially longer and was more tedious than I had anticipated, but I actually found about a dollar in clad that I had mixed in with it and found a few relics that I didn't want to throw out. Plus, I'll donate the pulltabs to a local charity that collects them so it was worth the time it took.

Fine print:
I will only count modern pull tabs and the old style beaver tails. I will not count partial tabs or a beaver tail if it's not fully intact or missing the "tail."

Only one guess per person. Guesses will be accepted through 07/19/17 at 11:59 pm, pacific standard time.

The closest guess wins, either over or under the correct number. If there is a tie, i.e. if the correct number is 100 and someone guesses 99 and someone else guesses 101, the winner will be whoever posted their guess first.

Oh yeah, I almost forget the most important part. The winner of the contest will be receive a few older coins. I will send the winner a 1915 Barber quarter, a 1910 "V" nickel and a 1889 Indian head cent.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804873.273445.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804890.375215.jpg

Good luck!

Upvote 0

JConis

Greenie
Mar 10, 2017
Pilot Mound, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 &F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't believe I was that close!! I did reply to your PM and man thanks for doing this, It took a lot of effort on your part from digging sorting counting. Thank you!!

GL/HH
Jeff

JimJ

Mar 24, 2016
Metz, WV
Detector(s) used
Ace 350, At Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations JConis ! Well done! And thank you sjvalley hunter for the contest and hard work!

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to everyone who participated! Guesses ranged from 144 to 3366.

The final count was 1206 modern pull tabs and 141 beaver tails, for a grand total of 1347.

And the winner is........JConis who guessed 1333. He was only 14 off from the total.

View attachment 1474328

Gentleone444, you were close with your guess of 1331!

JConis, I sent you a PM for your address.

Again, thank you to those who took a shot with a guess. I'll have another contest at some point in the future. I'll try to have a better prize next time and I won't let it run for so long.

First of all thanks for the contest it was a lot of fun to play along with.

Secondly, there is no need to offer a better prize and shorten the game time.

I would have played along even if a prize wasn't offered, so giving anything is a bonus to the winner.

Thanks again for the contest and the humorous banter. :icon_thumright:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at the pile, I see many partial tabs. Were these counted as one tab?

It was my understanding that the count was for tabs, not partial tabs.

A special TNET commission should be formed to recount these tabs, and determine which ones were not valid tabs.

Last edited:

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sjvalleyhunter, thanks for the contest and the cleanup! JConis,Congrats on the win!!!

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at the pile, I see many partial tabs. Were these counted as one tab?

It was my understanding that the count was for tabs, not partial tabs.

A special TNET commission should be formed to recount these tabs, and determine which ones were not valid tabs.

There isn't a single partial tab in that pile. All the beaver tails had their ring and attached tail. I can see though when they are all piled together it can be difficult to zoom in and distinguish each individual one. Here is a picture of the partial tabs that I did not count.
View attachment 1474450

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't a single partial tab in that pile. All the beaver tails had their ring and attached tail. I can see though when they are all piled together it can be difficult to zoom in and distinguish each individual one. Here is a picture of the partial tabs that I did not count.

So you are refusing to submit your tabs to be counted by the Commission? While the Commisions determination will not affect the outcome, America still needs to know about attempts of tab fraud, and if any foreign entities influenced the process. Did you detect with any foreign nationals?

I also note that in accordance with Historical Significance laws, those ring tabs, being used from 1965 to 1975, may be over the 50 year old threshold and qualify as historically significant. You are treading dangerously here.

Thanks again for the contest and the humorous banter.

you are welcome! :occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you are refusing to submit your tabs to be counted by the Commission? While the Commisions determination will not affect the outcome, America still needs to know about attempts of tab fraud, and if any foreign entities influenced the process. Did you detect with any foreign nationals?

I also note that in accordance with Historical Significance laws, those ring tabs, being used from 1965 to 1975, may be over the 50 year old threshold and qualify as historically significant. You are treading dangerously here. :

Well to quell any doubts regarding the accuracy of my counting and the validity of the outcome, I will be willing to submit them for inspection.

HOWEVER. I will only agree to this if I am fully compensated for the scrap melt value of the tabs, along with the cost of postage to mail them. Therefore, not until I receive 83 cents will I allow them to be inspected.

And just in case I have a couple of keepers in there that were not quite legal at the time I harvested them, I will not be including my true name or address on the package.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uhhhh....is it too late to get in the contest?? If not, I guess 1347.:laughing7:

Thanks for the great contest!!:headbang:

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the contest and fun sjvalleyhunter and Congrats to JConis!!! :icon_thumright:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOWEVER. I will only agree to this if I am fully compensated for the scrap melt value of the tabs, along with the cost of postage to mail them. Therefore, not until I receive 83 cents will I allow them to be inspected.

HA! No one expects the TNET inquisition!

JConis

Greenie
Mar 10, 2017
Pilot Mound, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 &F44
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to sjvalleyhunter for talking the time and $2.67 in postage to hold this contest and mail the coins.
I found my first and only Barber, a dime, only a few weeks ago and was kinda in disbelief. Now I have a nickel and quarter both of Which I have never seen or held in person. I was lucky and found a 1881 IHP earlier this spring and that was my first old coin not a wheat penny. These coins are in really good shape, not sure if I would be able to just give them away if I found them. Jason my friend you are a definite credit to this wonderful hobby!!

IMG_20170727_162013.jpg

IMG_20170727_162058.jpg

GL/HH
Jeff

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to sjvalleyhunter for talking the time and $2.67 in postage to hold this contest and mail the coins.
I found my first and only Barber, a dime, only a few weeks ago and was kinda in disbelief. Now I have a nickel and quarter both of Which I have never seen or held in person. I was lucky and found a 1881 IHP earlier this spring and that was my first old coin not a wheat penny. These coins are in really good shape, not sure if I would be able to just give them away if I found them. Jason my friend you are a definite credit to this wonderful hobby!!

View attachment 1476775

View attachment 1476777

GL/HH
Jeff

Well said and welcome to the forum. You will find many kind and knowledgable members here.
Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1476775

View attachment 1476777

GL/HH
Jeff

Awesome! I'm glad you got them and hope you enjoy them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread