New guessing contest with a silver prize!

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in 2014 I held a contest where I posted pictures of the clad that I had accumulated from my hunts and had TreasureNet members guess how much it totaled. Since then a few other members, including BladeRunner2019, Carolina Tom, and DeepseekerADS have held similar contests. Thank you to those members and any others who I may have missed. I think these types of contests are fun and a nice little variation from the typical show and tell posts. For that reason I decided that I wanted to hold another contest, but I wanted to do something different than having folks guess the total of a clad pile.

Well after each of my hunts I dump my trash into a couple of buckets in my garage. In fact I weighed them and I had 66 pounds of trash. I figure that it took me a couple of years to fill up the buckets. As I was emptying out my pouch after a recent hunt, it dawned on me as to what I can do. So here is my latest contest:

Guess how many pull tabs are in this pile of trash that I have dug in the past couple of years. I dumped it all out on my workbench so you can get a better look at it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804909.444377.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804932.892453.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804948.945207.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804962.028600.jpg

It took a few days to sort through it all, but I finally finished and separated out all of the pull tabs. Frankly it took substantially longer and was more tedious than I had anticipated, but I actually found about a dollar in clad that I had mixed in with it and found a few relics that I didn't want to throw out. Plus, I'll donate the pulltabs to a local charity that collects them so it was worth the time it took.

Fine print:
I will only count modern pull tabs and the old style beaver tails. I will not count partial tabs or a beaver tail if it's not fully intact or missing the "tail."

Only one guess per person. Guesses will be accepted through 07/19/17 at 11:59 pm, pacific standard time.

The closest guess wins, either over or under the correct number. If there is a tie, i.e. if the correct number is 100 and someone guesses 99 and someone else guesses 101, the winner will be whoever posted their guess first.

Oh yeah, I almost forget the most important part. The winner of the contest will be receive a few older coins. I will send the winner a 1915 Barber quarter, a 1910 "V" nickel and a 1889 Indian head cent.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804873.273445.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499804890.375215.jpg

Good luck!

Upvote 0

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgtled3533

Thanks for your input. Just a few remarks to you. "Don't you love guys like this"

No sir, not many people do. I'm a MARSOC special forces Marine. I've deployed 5 times to active combat, until one day I took a 7.62x54 round through my Kevlar helmet into the side of my head.

Obviously I didn't read the thing well enough, or maybe it's because I have a traumatic brain injury. I'm sure you can't stand people like me, or maybe you just don't know the people that fight for the rights so you have the freedoms to call people clowns. Oh and ungrateful, I lost memory, part of my skull, most of my hearing, and most of my vision in my left eye. All for people like you to have the liberties you have. I'm certainly grateful. Grateful I made it home alive. Oh and by the way, I am a loser, I've lost more than you'll ever know. But thanks for taking time out of your day to unleash your rant at me. Hopefully it made you feel better

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sgtled3533

Last edited:
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1229 good thing it wasn't bottle caps Hh Chug

I actually pulled out and separated all of the bottle caps when I was going through it all. One of these days if I'm super bored and after a six pack I may decide to count them. I'd estimate there are roughly the same number of bottle caps as pull tabs though.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1106 And thanks for all the clean up and for the contest!:icon_thumright:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually pulled out and separated all of the bottle caps when I was going through it all. One of these days if I'm super bored and after a six pack I may decide to count them. I'd estimate there are roughly the same number of bottle caps as pull tabs though.

Sooooo...........how many bottle caps are in there?? :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

of course!

EDIT: darn someone else beat me to it...

okay

420! Crap again!

okay....

hopefully 777

Last edited:

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
sjvalleyhunter

sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you to everyone who participated! Guesses ranged from 144 to 3366.

The final count was 1206 modern pull tabs and 141 beaver tails, for a grand total of 1347.

And the winner is........JConis who guessed 1333. He was only 14 off from the total.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500534247.697742.jpg

Gentleone444, you were close with your guess of 1331!

JConis, I sent you a PM for your address.

Again, thank you to those who took a shot with a guess. I'll have another contest at some point in the future. I'll try to have a better prize next time and I won't let it run for so long.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great thread and a cool contest and for picking up all that trash!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread