Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: The Best Detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
    Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
    1409 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    It'd be cool if you could build your own detector based on your needs and budget, or add to an existing machine. Unfortunately that's not the case. You should considering some of the machines that have more than one frequency and what coil options are available since that's about the only real modification you can make to a machines performance.

For example the X-terra 705 by Minelab and the AT-PRO are both roughly the same price. The X-terra is far more versatile with it's frequency options and gold prospecting mode, but the 705 Gold Pack comes with the only coil I've ever seen that's not waterproof. The AT-PRO is no doubt a good machine but has become a legend primarily for being the most budget friendly submersible land detector.

That's just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Icewing; Jul 14, 2017 at 02:41 PM.
    insontis likes this.
    Perspective is everything, find a good one.

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, UniProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i
    3899 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The problem the OP has is his budget. If you want discrimination, waterproof (recommended), and one that will work GOOD in salt, you'll have to spend twice that much unless you go with a used machine. Anything else and you'll have to sacrifice some performance and features.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    554 times
    I would caution you on purchasing an item like a metal detector off of eBay, for no other reason than the scams that I hear about.

Metal detectors (and in particular Pro Pointers) are routinely knocked off, and though they may look real, they are not.

If you insist on getting one "because of the savings", then I would ask for the serial number before transferring funds and then check it with the manufacturer.

The disadvantage of buying an item like a metal detector through eBay (unless of course its a legit retailer), then you won't have a warranty should something go wrong.

You also won't have the personal touch and experience from a retailer (or site sponsor), that can set up the machine for you, add free programs, give free stuff away with the purchase of a machine, and most importantly expedite a warranty claim should you have a problem with your machine.

eBay is great for many things (or at least it used to be), but I'd reconsider a metal detector purchase.

Obviously with me being a Canadian I have no affiliation to any of these site sponsors, but I've heard nothing but good comments about a lot of them.

Look for a package deal on your metal detector (perhaps an extra coil, a digger, a pin pointer, waterproof headphones....etc...etc), with a site sponsor, as I'm quite sure you won't get that sort of thing from an eBayer.

Lastly I have never used a Whites machine so I can't comment directly on their issues, but I do know many people that use(d) them, and they swear by them.

Whites is a big company that won't be happy with problems with their machines, so if it's a Whites you want, then I'm sure the problem is either fixed or in the process of being fixed.

As I said I have the AT Pro and the CTX 3030 (the CTX being a more "complete" machine at almost 3 times the cost, and if I had the money and was starting all over again I would still start off with an AT Pro.

I learned so much about me and the hobby using that machine, that I knew I wouldn't regret spending the money on a better machine.

I've known people who have jumped right in with the CTX and sold it later, as it was just too much for them to get their head around as a first detector.

As to your question about the AT Pro vs the AT Max..........honestly if it were me I would spend the few extra bucks for the AT Max.

It's basically an AT Pro with a few (in my opinion) nice upgrades.

Wireless headset for one, and backlit display for the other.

I can't overstate the pleasure of wireless headset enough. Detect with wires for a while being ripped off your head when your machine gets away from you as your digging, or it gets tangled up on something on your pouch or a tree branch and you will know what I mean.

Picture it getting dusk at night and you want to continue to hunt, but you can't see your screen.........well a backlit screen will fix that problem in a hurry.

Anyway there is a lot of great advice here, so I hope that we have been able to help point you in the next direction.

I for one am looking forward to your choice, and then of course seeing your finds.

Good luck.
    dsdigger likes this.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

John

Jun 2017
    21 times
    Alright thanks! The only retailers I'd consider buying from are the 15,000+ positive feedback sellers that have a built a solid rep.
    Geobound likes this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    554 times
    I'm sure you are a smart shopper, I just wanted to point out the scammers.

Plus you can always check out the prices on eBay and then look at a site sponsor.........the site sponsors have been known to sweeten the pot if need be.
    BuffaloHunter and dsdigger like this.

John

Jun 2017
    21 times
    Thanks for the info, Geo!

Jun 2017
    21 times
    Ok, sorry guys one last question.. would the Whites MX sport be a good way to go?

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    618 times
    I of course cannot recommend the "Best" machine for whatever the budget might allow, no one I would think has ever used them ALL, having said that, people being people, on something like E-Bay, you really do not "know" if the detector is really up to par, when the seller receives the money, they are done and you are history, I'm just saying...... Many of T-Net's major venders have or offer refurbished trade in's, at good prices, and they do, (hopefully) want to maintain a good reputation, that's the route I would go, in fact you could get more bang for the buck, with no rush, it would be worth checking out.

us
    Aug 2013
    Blue Springs, MO
    Garret AT Pro
    333 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Icewing View Post
    It'd be cool if you could build your own detector based on your needs and budget, or add to an existing machine.
    A modular type metal detector. Well, you can already swap out the coils and headphones.. but being able to swap out the box for different uses/prices would be incredible. Instead of having to buy another entire separate machine.. What great minds do we need to forward this concept to so that I may purchase one in the next few years?
    Icewing and Mzjavert like this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    554 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloHunter View Post
    Ok, sorry guys one last question.. would the Whites MX sport be a good way to go?
    I can't speak from my own personal experience as I've never used one, but I have seen other members on here and other forums that have.

Whites is a solid manufacturer, and based on the specs of the machine that I've looked at, I would have to say yes it's a good machine.

Highlights

10" DD Waterproof Search Coil

6 Search Modes

Automatic Ground Balance with Tracking

Backlit Display

Beach Mode

Big bold VDI numbers

Coin/Jewelry Mode

Depth Reading

Frequency Control

Pinpoint Mode

Prospecting Mode

Relic Mode

Salt and Freshwater

Target ID

Threshold Control

Tone ID

VDI Target Readings

Volume Control

Adjustable Length: 46" > 53"

All Metal Audio: Array

Audio Output: Speaker & 1/4" Headphone

Batteries: 8 "AA"

Battery Life: 20

Optional Coils: Eclipse Family

Standard Coil: 10" (DD)

Height: Maximum 55"

Number of Presets: 6

Frequency: 13.9 kHz

Size: 10"

Configuration: DD

The only thing it didn't have (or at least I didn't see it) was a wireless headset.

This of course is not a deal breaker by any means, I've just been spoiled with my CTX 3030.

There could also be an aftermarket accessory for the wireless anyway?

John

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac. White's 6000 Di Pro SL. White's Eagle ll SL90, Excal 1000, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, UniProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i
    3899 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Like the AT Pro, it's a single frequency machine which isn't the best for wet salt water sand or the ocean. It will work if you detune it, but, you lose depth doing so.
    waterfalljay likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Jun 2017
    21 times
    Hmm.. alrighty thanks!

us
    Louie

Mar 2017
    San Antonio
    Minelab Etrac
    41 times
    Easiest to use Technetics D4000. I bought me the Etracs with extras for 1500.... I found the technetics that's sells for 270 on line from 5mile for 100. I used the technetics and found a Silver Merc with in the first 10 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

us
    May 2017
    Southwest Oregon
    Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
    131 times
    I recently purchased a Teknetics Patriot and have no regrets.

Lots of features, ground balance, extremely light and long battery life.

Plus you can get it for under 400 bucks leaving you money for a pin pointer and a good digging tool.

I have had mine for 6 weeks now and have found 15 silver coins and an 1878 Indian Head penny among other goodies so far.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Loco-Digger likes this.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    6157 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    ....I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting.....
    I know you were trying to answer geo-bound's question, but even this is an answer that simply begs more questions. Because, essentially, your answer amounts to "I will be doing it all". Because even within each of those categories, is several questions a person must ask themselves. I mean, go figure, not all land hunting is the same . Are you ghost-towning ? Then perhaps you need something good at seeing through & around nails. Are you turf hunting ? Perhaps you want something with great bells & whistles TIDs (to be a little more selective of targets you'll choose to chase). Are you going to want to nugget hunt ? Then you'll want something with that ability (to find pinheads). Eg.: a cross-over machine, or a specialty machine (in which case you'd need 2 separate machines). And for the beach, that too is a non-finished question: Did you intend to need ability to resist water/splashes ? (like if you're going to get hard-core and hunt in pounding beach erosion storms?) Or just timid dry sand stuff ?

Basically, your question is like asking : "What's the best motor vehicle to buy?". Someone else asks: "It depends on what you intend to do. Take the kids to soccer practice ? flat track race ? fuel mileage ? haul rocks to & from the quarry ? etc...." To which you answered "all of the above", in essence.

I have steered local friends to certain machines, only to see them stick it in the closet and never use it again. Or to the extent they get out now and then, they are content to dink in sandboxes. Hence totally wasting time with nicer machines, and could have done equal or better with a turn-&-go machine.
    Loco-Digger, dsdigger and Geobound like this.
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links