B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, sorry guys one last question.. would the Whites MX sport be a good way to go?

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I of course cannot recommend the "Best" machine for whatever the budget might allow, no one I would think has ever used them ALL, having said that, people being people, on something like E-Bay, you really do not "know" if the detector is really up to par, when the seller receives the money, they are done and you are history, I'm just saying...... Many of T-Net's major venders have or offer refurbished trade in's, at good prices, and they do, (hopefully) want to maintain a good reputation, that's the route I would go, in fact you could get more bang for the buck, with no rush, it would be worth checking out.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'd be cool if you could build your own detector based on your needs and budget, or add to an existing machine.

A modular type metal detector. Well, you can already swap out the coils and headphones.. but being able to swap out the box for different uses/prices would be incredible. Instead of having to buy another entire separate machine.. What great minds do we need to forward this concept to so that I may purchase one in the next few years?

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, sorry guys one last question.. would the Whites MX sport be a good way to go?

I can't speak from my own personal experience as I've never used one, but I have seen other members on here and other forums that have.

Whites is a solid manufacturer, and based on the specs of the machine that I've looked at, I would have to say yes it's a good machine.

Highlights

10" DD Waterproof Search Coil

6 Search Modes

Automatic Ground Balance with Tracking

Backlit Display

Beach Mode

Big bold VDI numbers

Coin/Jewelry Mode

Depth Reading

Frequency Control

Pinpoint Mode

Prospecting Mode

Relic Mode

Salt and Freshwater

Target ID

Threshold Control

Tone ID

VDI Target Readings

Volume Control

Adjustable Length: 46" > 53"

All Metal Audio: Array

Audio Output: Speaker & 1/4" Headphone

Batteries: 8 "AA"

Battery Life: 20

Optional Coils: Eclipse Family

Standard Coil: 10" (DD)

Height: Maximum 55"

Number of Presets: 6

Frequency: 13.9 kHz

Size: 10"

Configuration: DD

The only thing it didn't have (or at least I didn't see it) was a wireless headset.

This of course is not a deal breaker by any means, I've just been spoiled with my CTX 3030.

There could also be an aftermarket accessory for the wireless anyway?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like the AT Pro, it's a single frequency machine which isn't the best for wet salt water sand or the ocean. It will work if you detune it, but, you lose depth doing so.

Louie79

Mar 24, 2017
San Antonio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest to use Technetics D4000. I bought me the Etracs with extras for 1500.... I found the technetics that's sells for 270 on line from 5mile for 100. I used the technetics and found a Silver Merc with in the first 10 minutes

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

bilder

May 16, 2017
Southwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Teknetics Patriot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Teknetics Patriot and have no regrets.

Lots of features, ground balance, extremely light and long battery life.

Plus you can get it for under 400 bucks leaving you money for a pin pointer and a good digging tool.

I have had mine for 6 weeks now and have found 15 silver coins and an 1878 Indian Head penny among other goodies so far.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
....I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting.....

I know you were trying to answer geo-bound's question, but even this is an answer that simply begs more questions. Because, essentially, your answer amounts to "I will be doing it all". Because even within each of those categories, is several questions a person must ask themselves. I mean, go figure, not all land hunting is the same . Are you ghost-towning ? Then perhaps you need something good at seeing through & around nails. Are you turf hunting ? Perhaps you want something with great bells & whistles TIDs (to be a little more selective of targets you'll choose to chase). Are you going to want to nugget hunt ? Then you'll want something with that ability (to find pinheads). Eg.: a cross-over machine, or a specialty machine (in which case you'd need 2 separate machines). And for the beach, that too is a non-finished question: Did you intend to need ability to resist water/splashes ? (like if you're going to get hard-core and hunt in pounding beach erosion storms?) Or just timid dry sand stuff ?

Basically, your question is like asking : "What's the best motor vehicle to buy?". Someone else asks: "It depends on what you intend to do. Take the kids to soccer practice ? flat track race ? fuel mileage ? haul rocks to & from the quarry ? etc...." To which you answered "all of the above", in essence.

I have steered local friends to certain machines, only to see them stick it in the closet and never use it again. Or to the extent they get out now and then, they are content to dink in sandboxes. Hence totally wasting time with nicer machines, and could have done equal or better with a turn-&-go machine.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, you have a lot of really good advice and some things to think about before dropping a wad of cash on a unit. I have bought from Kellyco and on ebay and felt good about the eBay buy but spent time questioning the seller on the unit and why selling, etc. until I felt good about bidding. I prefer to bid only if there is a return offered but it is "Buyer Beware". As far as units, I have the MX Sport and I was lucky to buy a used one with the software upgrade in decent condition at good price. Note that the MX Sport does have an issue with non-Whites headsets. I run Rattler Single-sided headset and have to run the volume up full on the unit as there is an impedance issue. White acknowledges this and I have learned to deal with it but not everyone can. You want an all-in-one that is good for land, water and beach, may have to think about a bigger budget and I would spend less, hunt where you plan on doing the most first then getting another special for other types. The MX Sport is fine for my land hunts but as note with the ATPro, they are just not as great as one would hope in salt water. I am looking to add a CZ-21, Sand Shark or Excal when budget allows but since beach is less than land hunts, not a priority. Figure out the priority and are you going to hunt a lot or little, time to research and places to hunt, etc. I started with an old Whites Coinmaster years ago, sold it, both a Garrett and kept on going. It is the best way to make sure you like the hobby, don't over spend and then either sell the starter or have it as a back-up/loaner and move up if things work. Good Luck, hope you can find something that works and Happy Hunting!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A modular type metal detector. Well, you can already swap out the coils and headphones.. but being able to swap out the box for different uses/prices would be incredible. Instead of having to buy another entire separate machine.. What great minds do we need to forward this concept to so that I may purchase one in the next few years?

Instead of swapping out the box, switching out a software card would be easier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread