Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: The Best Detector?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    Jun 2017
    Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Propointer
    106
    68 times
    Metal Detecting

    The Best Detector?

    Hello All! I'm a new metal detectorist and was wondering what is the BEST detector under $600?
    I've heard a lot of controversy about Whites, is Garrett a good way to go? Thanks for any input!

  2. #2

    Feb 2007
    SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
    PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
    356
    173 times
    wet dirt
    call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM for the best prices the garrett at-pro would be the one hands down
    Patriot 1776 likes this.
    if it wasn't for flashbacks. i would have no memory at all

  3. #3
    ca
    Feb 2017
    Ontario
    CTX 3030 (April 2017) AT Pro Garrett Carrot Pro Pointer Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6 Stealth 720i (BNIB) Home made beach scoop
    494
    634 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    There are a lot of good detectors out there for that price, but you need to clarify what type of metal detecting you plan on doing?

    Are you doing water detecting?

    Are you doing land detecting?

    If yes to water is it salt water or fresh?

    If yes to water is it just wadding into the water to hunt, or are you planning on scuba diving with it?

    Is this just a passing fancy or do you see yourself spending a lot of time on the hobby?

    I'm not knocking the choice of the AT Pro as I own one and think it's great, but I also own a CTX 3030 for a whole host of other reasons.

    You need to narrow down what your options are and let us know, before you start your search for the best detector for a certain dollar amount.

    I of course mean all this in a helpful fashion and not a dismissive one.

    It's a great hobby to get involved with if you are will to put in the time, but dropping $600.00 on something that you don't think you will be able to spend the time on will sour your opinion quite quickly.
    Treasure is where you find it, trash is where they left it.

    John

  4. #4
    us
    Stretch

    Jan 2017
    XP Déus, White's TPro, Tek Gamma, Garrett Carrot
    830
    823 times
    Metal Detecting
    Welcome to the hobby and good luck to you.
    You will get tons of opinions as everyone likes different things.
    Geo had some good info for you to think on before making a choice.
    You must also include the extras that are needed to make the most of swinging.
    A good digger, a good pinpointer, a nice finds pouch and knee pads are items you will be needing as well as a detector so you might want to see if you can toss some more $$$ into the pool.
    You can do a search for the subject as well as it comes up just about every week.
    If you have a local store, I would suggest you go there so you can hold them and see what they look, feel and sound like.
    I like Deus, Fisher, Teknetics and Whites.

    Curious about your line: I've heard a lot of controversy about Whites"
    What are your concerns?

  5. #5
    us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1,166
    1201 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The best detector;
    1. Research, research, research
    2. One that is best suited to your needs.
    3. One that you are/can learned/learn easily.
    4. One that is comfortable to carry for hours.
    5. One that, after a few weeks, you can look back and say
    Man, I'm glad I bought this one and not that other one.
    6. If you bought that other one, trade it.
    Others can suggest but the final decision is yours.

    Marvin
    PS: I might add that for $600.00 you may find that you can purchase TWO detectors for that same money.
    I'm actually thinking about adding a Tesoro Compadre to my arsenal.
    Last edited by GA_Boy; Jul 14, 2017 at 01:29 PM.
    If ya can't afford a Texas Instruments machine, Borrow more money.


    Beep, Beep.

  6. #6
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    10,213
    13845 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    You asked a very vague question, it would be just like me asking a bunch of strangers what is the best vehicle on the market? I like Geobound's questions. All the big manufacturers have great detectors in your price range. What you are looking for and where you are hunting makes a huge difference. How heavy of a detector do you want to swing? Do you prefer all mental mode or do you prefer to hunt with discrimination? What kind of sounds do you want to hear, beeps, Garrett bell-tones, or the Minelab bwoop-bwoop sound? Do you hunt by sound alone or do you like to see a screen with data? What data is important on your screen? What frequency do you want to detect in? The higher the frequency, the smaller the target it will detect. the lower the frequency the deeper you can detect. I use the Kellyco site so I can review up to 4 detectors specifications (side by side) as well as I watch online videos of the detectors that interest me.
    Last edited by Loco-Digger; Jul 14, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  7. #7
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    10,213
    13845 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_Boy View Post
    The best detector;
    1. Research, research, research
    2. One that is best suited to your needs.
    3. One that you are/can learned/learn easily.
    4. One that is comfortable to carry for hours.
    5. One that, after a few weeks, you can look back and say
    Man, I'm glad I bought this one and not that other one.
    6. If you bought that other one, trade it.
    Others can suggest but the final decision is yours.

    Marvin
    PS: I might add that for $600.00 you may find that you can purchase TWO detectors for that same money.
    I'm actually thinking about adding a Tesoro Compadre to my arsenal.
    Marvin I thought you would go to the Mohave over the Compadre.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  8. #8
    us
    Jul 2006
    Jefferson, Ga
    BH LRP 1265X, GoldBug II
    1,166
    1201 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Loco-Digger View Post
    Marvin I thought you would go to the Mohave over the Compadre.
    It does have its advantages but I just need one to snipe around metal park tables, fence posts, etc.
    One that is LIGHTER than my 1265Xwith the 3-3/4" coil. At my age I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Sam) method.
    BTW, Your response to the OP was great.
    Marvin
    Loco-Digger and Javadroid like this.
    If ya can't afford a Texas Instruments machine, Borrow more money.


    Beep, Beep.

  9. #9
    Charter Member
    us
    VOTE FOR CRACKBADGER!

    Mar 2007
    FLOR DI DA
    ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
    615
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    I like that detector that only finds gold and silver haha

    Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk
    DIGGING LIKE A BADGER ON CRACK!

  10. #10
    us
    Jun 2017
    Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Propointer
    106
    68 times
    Metal Detecting

    The Best Detector?

    Thanks for all your input. I would prefer to keep it under 5 pounds ( I'm used to a Whites Treasuremaster at 2.8). I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting. As for hearing controversy about Whites, a guy at my local Sports store said he had some problems with some of the Whites machines, as well as some people on other forums. I don't mind any beeping noises as long as it doesn't sound like a drunk R2-D2. I will probably buy it off eBay as it is a ton cheaper and easier to deal with. ( I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I've never had any challenges with it.) One last question, is it worth shelling out the extra $250 for the AT max? Instead of the AT pro? Thanks!
    Last edited by BuffaloHunter; Jul 14, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
    Loco-Digger likes this.

  11. #11
    us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    651
    887 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Geobound View Post
    There are a lot of good detectors out there for that price, but you need to clarify what type of metal detecting you plan on doing?

    Are you doing water detecting?

    Are you doing land detecting?

    If yes to water is it salt water or fresh?

    If yes to water is it just wadding into the water to hunt, or are you planning on scuba diving with it?

    Is this just a passing fancy or do you see yourself spending a lot of time on the hobby?

    I'm not knocking the choice of the AT Pro as I own one and think it's great, but I also own a CTX 3030 for a whole host of other reasons.

    You need to narrow down what your options are and let us know, before you start your search for the best detector for a certain dollar amount.

    I of course mean all this in a helpful fashion and not a dismissive one.

    It's a great hobby to get involved with if you are will to put in the time, but dropping $600.00 on something that you don't think you will be able to spend the time on will sour your opinion quite quickly.
    Listen to Geobound - there's a ton of wisdom in his post for a newbie to consider!
    Geobound and dsdigger like this.

  12. #12
    us
    Jul 2017
    Northwest Arkansas
    Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
    651
    887 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloHunter View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I would prefer to keep it under 5 pounds ( I'm used to a Whites Treasuremaster at 2.8). I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting. As for hearing controversy about Whites, a guy at my local Sports store said he had some problems with some of the Whites machines, as well as some people on other forums. I don't mind any beeping noises as long as it doesn't sound like a drunk R2-D2. I will probably buy it off eBay as it is a ton cheaper and easier to deal with. ( I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I've never had any challenges with it.) One last question, is it worth shelling out the extra $250 for the AT max? Instead of the AT pro? Thanks!
    IMHO - for someone without a lot of experience, I don't think the AT Max is the way to go. The AT Pro with the waterproof headphones added will get you years down the road in experience and finds and save you dollars you can use on other gear. The Garrett Pro-pointer AT will be a critical add to save time and improve finds. It's great in combo with the AT Pro for snorkle hunting and land searches both.

  13. #13
    Charter Member
    us
    Coin Rescue Tech

    Jun 2014
    Northern O-H-I-O
    F75 LTD SE, F70, 1280X Aquanaut, & Fisher F2 (loaner) Have had a TC 1023, Fisher F4, Whites Classic ID II, BH LRP, Tesoro Lobo, F75, & XP Deus.
    10,213
    13845 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloHunter View Post
    Thanks for all your input. I would prefer to keep it under 5 pounds ( I'm used to a Whites Treasuremaster at 2.8). I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting. As for hearing controversy about Whites, a guy at my local Sports store said he had some problems with some of the Whites machines, as well as some people on other forums. I don't mind any beeping noises as long as it doesn't sound like a drunk R2-D2. I will probably buy it off eBay as it is a ton cheaper and easier to deal with. ( I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I've never had any challenges with it.) One last question, is it worth shelling out the extra $250 for the AT max? Instead of the AT pro? Thanks!
    I have used ebay and got some good deals, but I would rather use local craigslist because you can try it out when you go to buy it. White's did have a problem but they updated their software on the MX SPORT. You are looking for a detector at the right time. 3 years ago I wanted to upgrade and the prices were still very high on the F75LTD that I wanted, First Texas (Fisher, Bounty Hunter, & Teknetics) all lowered their prices on their top end machines by hundreds of dollars. No single detector will be great in all 3 conditions you are interested in, my advice is to get a good machine that covers the land and another for water.
    Rescuing Coins 1 Beep at a time

  14. #14
    us
    Jun 2017
    Oregon
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Propointer
    106
    68 times
    Metal Detecting

    The Best Detector?

    All right thanks for the advice, Loco! I'll start with a AT Pro and then try out a newer Whites or Minelab.

  15. #15
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, White's Eagle ll SL90, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, TinyTec, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 720i, TRX
    7,641
    4162 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    The AT Pro isn't that great at a salt water beach, but, usable. It'll work fine in the dry sand, but, you'll have to turn it way down in the wet sand or water to get it stable.
    Treasure_Hunter and Geobound like this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: Mar 13, 2017, 12:23 AM
  2. CONVERTING A LAND DETECTOR INTO A WATER HUNTING DETECTOR
    By ZINCLID in forum Metal Detector Modifications
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May 06, 2013, 02:38 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Jan 28, 2012, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 08, 2011, 03:28 PM
  5. Fisher, Teknetics and Detector Pro authorized Metal detector dealer
    By Bart@Big Boys Hobbies in forum Personal Links
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Feb 06, 2011, 11:23 AM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0