Upvote 0

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
call DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM for the best prices the garrett at-pro would be the one hands down

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of good detectors out there for that price, but you need to clarify what type of metal detecting you plan on doing?

Are you doing water detecting?

Are you doing land detecting?

If yes to water is it salt water or fresh?

If yes to water is it just wadding into the water to hunt, or are you planning on scuba diving with it?

Is this just a passing fancy or do you see yourself spending a lot of time on the hobby?

I'm not knocking the choice of the AT Pro as I own one and think it's great, but I also own a CTX 3030 for a whole host of other reasons.

You need to narrow down what your options are and let us know, before you start your search for the best detector for a certain dollar amount.

I of course mean all this in a helpful fashion and not a dismissive one.

It's a great hobby to get involved with if you are will to put in the time, but dropping $600.00 on something that you don't think you will be able to spend the time on will sour your opinion quite quickly.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby and good luck to you.
You will get tons of opinions as everyone likes different things.
Geo had some good info for you to think on before making a choice.
You must also include the extras that are needed to make the most of swinging.
A good digger, a good pinpointer, a nice finds pouch and knee pads are items you will be needing as well as a detector so you might want to see if you can toss some more $$$ into the pool.
You can do a search for the subject as well as it comes up just about every week.
If you have a local store, I would suggest you go there so you can hold them and see what they look, feel and sound like.
I like Deus, Fisher, Teknetics and Whites.

Curious about your line: I've heard a lot of controversy about Whites"
What are your concerns?

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best detector;
1. Research, research, research
2. One that is best suited to your needs.
3. One that you are/can learned/learn easily.
4. One that is comfortable to carry for hours.
5. One that, after a few weeks, you can look back and say
Man, I'm glad I bought this one and not that other one.
6. If you bought that other one, trade it.:notworthy:
Others can suggest but the final decision is yours.

Marvin
PS: I might add that for $600.00 you may find that you can purchase TWO detectors for that same money.
I'm actually thinking about adding a Tesoro Compadre to my arsenal.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You asked a very vague question, it would be just like me asking a bunch of strangers what is the best vehicle on the market? I like Geobound's questions. All the big manufacturers have great detectors in your price range. What you are looking for and where you are hunting makes a huge difference. How heavy of a detector do you want to swing? Do you prefer all mental mode or do you prefer to hunt with discrimination? What kind of sounds do you want to hear, beeps, Garrett bell-tones, or the Minelab bwoop-bwoop sound? Do you hunt by sound alone or do you like to see a screen with data? What data is important on your screen? What frequency do you want to detect in? The higher the frequency, the smaller the target it will detect. the lower the frequency the deeper you can detect. I use the Kellyco site so I can review up to 4 detectors specifications (side by side) as well as I watch online videos of the detectors that interest me.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best detector;
1. Research, research, research
2. One that is best suited to your needs.
3. One that you are/can learned/learn easily.
4. One that is comfortable to carry for hours.
5. One that, after a few weeks, you can look back and say
Man, I'm glad I bought this one and not that other one.
6. If you bought that other one, trade it.:notworthy:
Others can suggest but the final decision is yours.

Marvin
PS: I might add that for $600.00 you may find that you can purchase TWO detectors for that same money.
I'm actually thinking about adding a Tesoro Compadre to my arsenal.

Marvin I thought you would go to the Mohave over the Compadre.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marvin I thought you would go to the Mohave over the Compadre.
It does have its advantages but I just need one to snipe around metal park tables, fence posts, etc.
One that is LIGHTER than my 1265Xwith the 3-3/4" coil. At my age I like the KISS (Keep It Simple Sam) method.:laughing7:
BTW, Your response to the OP was great.
Marvin

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that detector that only finds gold and silver haha

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600. Garrett ProPointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all your input. I would prefer to keep it under 5 pounds ( I'm used to a Whites Treasuremaster at 2.8). I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting. As for hearing controversy about Whites, a guy at my local Sports store said he had some problems with some of the Whites machines, as well as some people on other forums. I don't mind any beeping noises as long as it doesn't sound like a drunk R2-D2. I will probably buy it off eBay as it is a ton cheaper and easier to deal with. ( I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I've never had any challenges with it.) One last question, is it worth shelling out the extra $250 for the AT max? Instead of the AT pro? Thanks!

Last edited:

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of good detectors out there for that price, but you need to clarify what type of metal detecting you plan on doing?

Are you doing water detecting?

Are you doing land detecting?

If yes to water is it salt water or fresh?

If yes to water is it just wadding into the water to hunt, or are you planning on scuba diving with it?

Is this just a passing fancy or do you see yourself spending a lot of time on the hobby?

I'm not knocking the choice of the AT Pro as I own one and think it's great, but I also own a CTX 3030 for a whole host of other reasons.

You need to narrow down what your options are and let us know, before you start your search for the best detector for a certain dollar amount.

I of course mean all this in a helpful fashion and not a dismissive one.

It's a great hobby to get involved with if you are will to put in the time, but dropping $600.00 on something that you don't think you will be able to spend the time on will sour your opinion quite quickly.

Listen to Geobound - there's a ton of wisdom in his post for a newbie to consider!

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your input. I would prefer to keep it under 5 pounds ( I'm used to a Whites Treasuremaster at 2.8). I will be doing a variety of salt/fresh/land hunting. As for hearing controversy about Whites, a guy at my local Sports store said he had some problems with some of the Whites machines, as well as some people on other forums. I don't mind any beeping noises as long as it doesn't sound like a drunk R2-D2. I will probably buy it off eBay as it is a ton cheaper and easier to deal with. ( I know a lot of people don't like eBay, but I've never had any challenges with it.) One last question, is it worth shelling out the extra $250 for the AT max? Instead of the AT pro? Thanks!

IMHO - for someone without a lot of experience, I don't think the AT Max is the way to go. The AT Pro with the waterproof headphones added will get you years down the road in experience and finds and save you dollars you can use on other gear. The Garrett Pro-pointer AT will be a critical add to save time and improve finds. It's great in combo with the AT Pro for snorkle hunting and land searches both.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have used ebay and got some good deals, but I would rather use local craigslist because you can try it out when you go to buy it. White's did have a problem but they updated their software on the MX SPORT. You are looking for a detector at the right time. 3 years ago I wanted to upgrade and the prices were still very high on the F75LTD that I wanted, First Texas (Fisher, Bounty Hunter, & Teknetics) all lowered their prices on their top end machines by hundreds of dollars. No single detector will be great in all 3 conditions you are interested in, my advice is to get a good machine that covers the land and another for water.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All right thanks for the advice, Loco! I'll start with a AT Pro and then try out a newer Whites or Minelab.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro isn't that great at a salt water beach, but, usable. It'll work fine in the dry sand, but, you'll have to turn it way down in the wet sand or water to get it stable.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arcanslaw / SW Misery
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'd be cool if you could build your own detector based on your needs and budget, or add to an existing machine. Unfortunately that's not the case. You should considering some of the machines that have more than one frequency and what coil options are available since that's about the only real modification you can make to a machines performance.

For example the X-terra 705 by Minelab and the AT-PRO are both roughly the same price. The X-terra is far more versatile with it's frequency options and gold prospecting mode, but the 705 Gold Pack comes with the only coil I've ever seen that's not waterproof. The AT-PRO is no doubt a good machine but has become a legend primarily for being the most budget friendly submersible land detector.

That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem the OP has is his budget. If you want discrimination, waterproof (recommended), and one that will work GOOD in salt, you'll have to spend twice that much unless you go with a used machine. Anything else and you'll have to sacrifice some performance and features.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would caution you on purchasing an item like a metal detector off of eBay, for no other reason than the scams that I hear about.

Metal detectors (and in particular Pro Pointers) are routinely knocked off, and though they may look real, they are not.

If you insist on getting one "because of the savings", then I would ask for the serial number before transferring funds and then check it with the manufacturer.

The disadvantage of buying an item like a metal detector through eBay (unless of course its a legit retailer), then you won't have a warranty should something go wrong.

You also won't have the personal touch and experience from a retailer (or site sponsor), that can set up the machine for you, add free programs, give free stuff away with the purchase of a machine, and most importantly expedite a warranty claim should you have a problem with your machine.

eBay is great for many things (or at least it used to be), but I'd reconsider a metal detector purchase.

Obviously with me being a Canadian I have no affiliation to any of these site sponsors, but I've heard nothing but good comments about a lot of them.

Look for a package deal on your metal detector (perhaps an extra coil, a digger, a pin pointer, waterproof headphones....etc...etc), with a site sponsor, as I'm quite sure you won't get that sort of thing from an eBayer.

Lastly I have never used a Whites machine so I can't comment directly on their issues, but I do know many people that use(d) them, and they swear by them.

Whites is a big company that won't be happy with problems with their machines, so if it's a Whites you want, then I'm sure the problem is either fixed or in the process of being fixed.

As I said I have the AT Pro and the CTX 3030 (the CTX being a more "complete" machine at almost 3 times the cost, and if I had the money and was starting all over again I would still start off with an AT Pro.

I learned so much about me and the hobby using that machine, that I knew I wouldn't regret spending the money on a better machine.

I've known people who have jumped right in with the CTX and sold it later, as it was just too much for them to get their head around as a first detector.

As to your question about the AT Pro vs the AT Max..........honestly if it were me I would spend the few extra bucks for the AT Max.

It's basically an AT Pro with a few (in my opinion) nice upgrades.

Wireless headset for one, and backlit display for the other.

I can't overstate the pleasure of wireless headset enough. Detect with wires for a while being ripped off your head when your machine gets away from you as your digging, or it gets tangled up on something on your pouch or a tree branch and you will know what I mean.

Picture it getting dusk at night and you want to continue to hunt, but you can't see your screen.........well a backlit screen will fix that problem in a hurry.

Anyway there is a lot of great advice here, so I hope that we have been able to help point you in the next direction.

I for one am looking forward to your choice, and then of course seeing your finds.

Good luck.

OP
OP
B

BuffaloHunter

Jun 26, 2017
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alright thanks! The only retailers I'd consider buying from are the 15,000+ positive feedback sellers that have a built a solid rep.

Geobound

Feb 21, 2017
Ontario
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (2019)
Fisher CZ-21 (2019)
CTX 3030 (April 2017)
AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Pro Pointer
Stavr Scoop Moonstrik 6
Stealth 720i (BNIB)
Home made beach scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you are a smart shopper, I just wanted to point out the scammers.

Plus you can always check out the prices on eBay and then look at a site sponsor.........the site sponsors have been known to sweeten the pot if need be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread