Upvote 0
OP
OP
KODEY914

KODEY914

Jul 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read into and researched local historical sites, they are all privately owned and don't allow detecting. Got denied permission at old churches as well. That wasn't pretty.... I did find an old ball field that I burnt out, as well as an old school that was torn down but the majority of what I found was nails and construction materials

Sent from my SM-G955U using TreasureNet.com mobile app

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe Dayton diggers is still an active club. They have meetings south of Dayton, I think. They may be able to shed some light for you. I think you can find them in the forum that has clubs.
Or maybe there's another club closer to you.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I've read into and researched local historical sites, they are all privately owned and don't allow detecting. Got denied permission at old churches as well. That wasn't pretty....

I'm beginning to get the picture. You're not likely to waltz up to a historically sensitive private owned site and say " hi, can I metal detect?" You will appear as nothing more than a door to door salesman. You are going about it wrong.

If you are really hard core and want to access such sites, join historical societies , volunteer to docent at museums, and so forth. Then later, when requesting permission, you merely flash your "credentials" . As someone who is "doing research" etc....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the county I live in the County metro parks require a permit. It's not one permit for the entire year like many places, but it is per day and the hours you plan on detecting. Hard to get permissions between Memorial Day and Labor Day though.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... like many places, ...

loco-digger: Just to clarify: "Permits" for ANY city or county parks is a RARE thing. VERY FEW cities or counties have ever dreamed up such a thing (thank goodness). But oddly, when newbies see someone mention something about 'permits' (that some particular city has), they apparently have visions that .... perhaps such a thing exists near them. So they go about inquiring hither and yonder @ city and county halls near them, only to be met with blank-eyed-stares. Or worse yet, someone also adds: We don't allow that (when in fact they never gave the matter a moment's thought before).

Also even for those places that HAVE dreamed up such a thing: They are rarely ever a "good thing". They are invariably riddled with silly things like "sandy beaches only" , or "digger tool shall not exceed 3" length". Or "not within 20 ft. of any tree", blah blah blah.

And worse yet: It's only a matter of time before the city or county that issues them yanks it altogether. Why ? Because THE MERE FACT that it's something they "permit" (have to make wallet cards) simply means it's perpetually on their radar as something to think about. And then sure as sh^6 : The day comes, at some annual meeting when all their policies are being reviewed, that some genius wonders: "gee, do we really want all these yahoos digging up our parks?".

Hence much better that it's simply silent on the subject. Neither expressly allowed, nor expressly dis-allowed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions