My "first" detector and finds

oldwormwood

Aug 17, 2015
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got my "first" metal detector today. For accuracy’s sake, it is not my first metal detector. That honor goes to the Micronta/Radio Shack 3000 that my parents got me in the late 1970s. With that detector, I recall finding a lot of foil and pull tabs, some clad coins, spoons, an old clock face, etc. – nothing of great economic value, but certainly got a lot of enjoyment. But as I got into middle and high school, my interests began to shift to other things.

Anyway, some forty years later I have thought about getting back into the hobby. I have been doing some research on entry-level detectors, and am leaning towards the Teknetics Patriot. However, I saw another detector and thought I would first give it a try. It is … and please don’t smirk too loudly if you must ... a National Geographic Pro, which is a re-branded Minelab GO FIND 40. The ML logo is stamped on the coil and armrest, and a ML serial number tag is affixed to the shaft. The price was right (around $100), so I thought I would pull the trigger. The Patriot is still clearly on my radar (and closing in fast), but I thought this foldable Minelab would help me get back into the hobby, and be a good second detector if it performed as well as some have said. If things didn’t work out with it, then I am out $100 instead of $400.

The NG Pro arrived this morning. I assembled it, read the minuscule manual, found a pair of JVC headphones, and then spent about a half an hour swinging it in a small area (maybe 20’ X 20’) of my back yard. The sensitivity was set to 3 (out of 4), and I discriminated out iron. I ended up finding three things.

First find: a 1960 Lincoln Memorial cent. It was about 6 inches down. The NG Pro identified it as a coin. Keep in mind this is my first dug hole. The hole is pretty sloppy, and I am glad this was in my yard and not someone else’s. Yikes!

File_005.jpg
File_004.jpeg

Second find: a 1990 Lincoln Memorial cent. Likewise, the NG Pro identified it as a coin. It was about an inch below the surface.

File_003.jpg
File_002.jpeg

The third find is a piece of metal with a rounded end. The NG Pro was jumping all over the ID range, and I thought maybe I would just ignore the signal. But, my stubbornness prevailed. I eventually pulled out what looks like the end of a fork or spoon. It was ten to eleven inches down.

File_001.jpg
File_000.jpeg

On all three finds, I used the pinpoint feature, which worked great. But long term, I definitely need to get a good pinpointer. The digger that I am using is one that I had for gardening. It worked fine.

I will go back out in the yard a bit later in the day. So far, the detector is a keeper. However, I am certain that it won’t be my only one.

HH one and all!

Jonathan

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you Jonathan! Looks like the little Minelab is a keeper! :occasion14:

OP
OP
oldwormwood

oldwormwood

Aug 17, 2015
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Terry. I didn't have the highest hopes for the machine once I got everything together (there is a lot of plastic). But so far, I am impressed, and it is getting some strong depth results.

BTW- I just subscribed to your YT channel. Well done!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great first hunt.

Throw a plastic grocery bag in your pocket to put your dirt on. That way you can easily pour it back into the hole.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like your having fun, and that's the important part.

Best of luck to you sir.

jhittle

Jun 7, 2016
Vancouver WA
Detector(s) used
â—„ Minelab CTX 3030
â—„ XP Deus
â—„ Minelab Equinox 800
â—„ Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little minelab can be fun, i have the GoFind 20 came as a Bogo on my CTX purchase i took it on a short trip to Hawaii and other than kicking myself for not bringing the CTX i did clean the beaches of $22 in clad, 2 rings and a silver cross. the nice thing it folds up so small and fits in your bag for easy travel. Now on my next trip ill figure some way to ship my CTX as i had too much fun on the beach with the GoFind 20.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That little minelab can be fun, i have the GoFind 20 came as a Bogo on my CTX purchase i took it on a short trip to Hawaii and other than kicking myself for not bringing the CTX i did clean the beaches of $22 in clad, 2 rings and a silver cross. the nice thing it folds up so small and fits in your bag for easy travel. Now on my next trip ill figure some way to ship my CTX as i had too much fun on the beach with the GoFind 20.

At a previous job I had to often travel out of state. During one trip from Indiana to Western Washington State we needed to ship multiple pieces of test equipment. My supervisor had it shipped overnight to our hotel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread