Is there such a thing as a simple relic detector?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in N. Alabama where we have red clay dirt that is somewhat unevenly mineralized so I know that I need a machine capable of manual ground balance. Also, I need a machine with real good depth as I know many of the CW sites around here have been hit before. Real good depth on a minnie would be 10". Also, I would prefer to have a machine that I can tune the sound level so that I can monitor the sound for a change and not run in silent discriminate (like the Tesoro's do). Good tonal seperation would be be needed as well. I do not need VID. Does anyone have suggestions on a brand?

Upvote 0

skullhunter.va

Jun 22, 2007
norfolk.va
Detector(s) used
xlt
you need to check out -n- Nautilus metal detector.I have -n- xlt but iam going to get a nautilus soon for relic hunts.They are well built and have real good depth and you cant bet the price.There worth checking if you like to detec by sound..

Attachments

33.7 KB · Views: 174

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Tesoro's are known for their relic and deep detecting, particularly the Tejon.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the nautilis are excellant but do not handle some soils, I would suggest a T-2 or exterra 70 or if you can afford a f-75, they are hotter than the t-2

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simple relic detectors are easy. Just get a PI and it will reach deep for all metals. Now you get more complicated when you want discrimination to ID some targets or give depth, etc. I think simple means to hunt in All Metal and dig everything.

Good Luck.
Sandman

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, who makes the most reasonably prices P.I. machine? I know they're not cheap, just don't have $4K. Is anyone making a good one for around $1K?

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
Try to get yourself an XP 100 detector (French built, a very popular range of detectors in Euroope and the UK), very simple to use, doesn´t cost the earth, and you can chuck out smaller iron objects if you wish, while retaining the ability to find small items like coins and rings.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look to the Garrett Infinium if you want a good PI in your price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread