Metal Detector Recommendation

Dr_Silver

Apr 7, 2017
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to get into metal detecting. Here is some info. about what I am looking to do with the detector. I will be searching beaches, in some shallow salt water and by fresh water beaches, wadding in NOT scuba diving, and mostly searching on land. Would like to travel with it, so portability is a consideration. Is there any other tools you recommend me getting? Thanks, Anthony

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save up a bit more nothing I know of in that price range for salt water. Someone with more knowledge may correct me though

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be wrong but the Garrett AT Pro at $500.00 is about the cheapest that is half way effective in Salt water.
I admit that I have not used one.
Marvin

Wrecka

Jun 22, 2017
Gold Coast Queensland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up my AT Pro yesterday , after researching it was the detector that suited the exact same requirements as you outlined , comes highly recommend. Cost a whole lot more here though $1075 on sale.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
look at Tesoro Sand Shark..

Good-used Tesoro Sand Sharks go for 'bout $400 on ebay. You can dive down 200' with 'em, and they're pretty light in weight. Very effective on wet salty sand, but offers no discrimination (it's a pulse detector). I recently got my Sand Shark and it worked great in the knee-deep surf @ Carpinteria last week. Didn't find anything exciting, but the beach was sanded in and I understand that area is regularly scoured by locals.
Brand new Tesoro Sand Sharks go for around $575-$600 and come with a LIFETIME warranty. Made in USA, too.

IMG_0784.JPG

Pulse (or PI) detectors are about the least costly type that works well in the wet salt. There are also multi-frequency VLF detectors that work well, and offer discrimination too..but they cost about double what a PI detector does.

You can get a water resistant detector like the AT Pro, but I hear they don't do too well in wet salty sand. Should be fine in freshwater areas.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay the extra $ and get a Sov GT. Will pay for itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread