Please Help I.D. Flintlock Parts

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this flintlock lock plate along with the screw that holds the jaw in place (need to look further for any remaining parts) during a recent excursion and was wondering if anyone might be able to date the piece (even roughly) or give any information at all. I’m currently doing research on the possible owner, but don’t expect to find much, as these were mostly folks who lived and farmed in some remote hills of a remote countryside, so any info would be helpful. My time spent detecting the site was limited, but I expect to go back soon for a better look around and should find some more items.

Here's a photo of both sides of the lock plate... cleaning it a bit, I noticed there's still a bit of fancy engraved on it.
Flintlock Comp.jpg

This is a closer photo that also shows (what I believe must be) the jaw screw.
Lock & Screw 1.JPG

Thanks for looking! Happy Hunting to you all!

Upvote 0

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look up enfield p1853

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Queen Ann style lock mid to late 1700s

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
M1853 was percussion.

Dimensions would help. Pistol or rifle?

Looks to be Early Pennsylvania style, possibly 1780 . . . ish. I don't see a bridle for the frizzen. Cock it too delicate for military (like a Bess or Charleville). Very possibly a Pennsylvania rifle lock. The rounder face (as opposed to flat) cock and veining around the edge of the plate and cock is a British/Colonial feature.

BUT - it looks like the pan was a separate part (because it is absent below the frizzen) . That's a French feature.

If it were a top-jaw screw it would either be slotted on top or have a hole for a leverage tool - or both. I don't see either.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may be a fowler lock. It looks too "English" to me to be a Pennsylvania style rifle lock, and the engraving looks right to be a fowler.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charlie, yeah the pan seems to have been separate. I'll try and give dimensions. From end to end, it is 6.1"... from top to bottom (without the frizzen and cock), it is 1.2" at the widest point... the frizzen is .9" wide and 1.8" tall. I hope that helps a bit.

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why I didn't think to put this up sooner, but here is a photo of the found piece next to my T/C Hawken .50CAL Flintlock. It seems to be beefier in some respects and more delicate in others. I really don't know how historically accurate a representation the new rifle is, but it should at least give a good reference. Tell me what you think. (edit: BTW, I tried to get the two plates lined up in the picture in the same depth of field, because I know photos can play size tricks on you... so, they are pretty close to being on the same plane)

Hawken Comp.JPG

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frizzen is there , the pan is not,

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possibly a fowling piece lock (Here's mine - a recent version I use for deer and small game hunting).

NjKmIhG.jpg

But note the spring lever on his frizzen is flattened side-to-side (a later feature - early 1800's) while it is unbridled (an early feature). May be a replacement frizzen(?)

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a fowling piece lock (Here's mine - a recent version I use for deer and small game hunting).

NjKmIhG.jpg

But note the spring lever on his frizzen is flattened side-to-side (a later feature - early 1800's) while it is unbridled (an early feature). May be a replacement frizzen(?)

Charlie, I'm not seeing the photo in your post... hope I'm not being stupid and just overlooking something...

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old is yours Charlie??

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm seeing it(?) It's an Imgur link.

Mine's seven years old. It's a 16 bore made by Mike Brooks. 42" barrel and seven pounds (if you know muzzleloaders that is nicely light).

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a Mike Brooks type G trade gun!

OP
OP
Driftwoood

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah, now I see it. It's a beauty! I'm going back to the site tomorrow and hope to find more parts... just have to dig every dang piece of iron out of there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread