Pulse Devil Getting Closer!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the Pulse Devil is about to be released in Australia to testers (for sale shortly after).

b31ayv3.jpg

Appears like all the bugs have been worked out, and security features have been perfected (to prevent reverse-engineering).

They have finally released some pictures of the actual unit:

Control Box:

ea2dau4.jpg

Display:

f294vn9.jpg

Here is an overview of the Detector:

THE PULSE DEVIL EXPLAINED: AN OVERVIEW

When designing a detector one is presented with a series of trade-offs. One such trade-off is the choice of how many user controls the detector will have. Most designers have limited the number of user controls for two reasons. The first reason is that many users don't like the idea of adjusting an instrument panel rivaling that found in the cockpit of a jet fighter. The other reason, though less obvious, is just as important. The controls take up space. This means that the control box gets both bigger and heavier. Large control boxes and lot of controls also make the detector expensive. To complicate things still further, the designer is faced with the fact that there are professional detector users in many parts of the world. Some professionals seek ancient coins in Europe while others seek relics from various sites before they rot away and are lost for ever. Still others are beating around the bush in Australia with a cold pack of tinnies on their back looking for the big one!!! The professional user wants to get everything they can from their detector. Such a person will spend the time to learn how to adjust any number of controls available to them in order to squeeze out those extra, all important few inches of depth. The truth is that a detector with a full complement of controls is potentially far more powerful than a detector equipped with a limited number of controls. The challenge was to make a detector which suited everyone. A detector which could be effectively used by a either a beginner or a professional. I decided that a make-over was in order.

The first order of business was to replace the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack with a powerful Lithium Ion (Li-ion) type. The new pack is much lighter than the old one which made for a good start. I removed all the mechanical controls and mechanical switches from the Pulse Devil and replaced them all with tiny electronic chip pots. The chip pots are adjusted by one of two on board microcomputer chips. The removal of the mechanical controls and switches provided a control box front panel which sports only an LCD display and a single control knob.

USING THE DETECTOR

The single knob is mounted on the master control. This control knob can be turned clockwise or counterclockwise. The control knob can also be pushed in to actuate a built in momentary switch.

TURNING THE DETECTOR ON AND OFF

Pressing the knob in causes the LCD to display a message requesting that you enter a PIN number.

The numbers 0 - 9 are displayed in a row followed by the word "ENTER". Turning the control knob causes each number to flash on and off in turn as the knob is rotated. As an example, the operator used the last five digits of his drivers license number for his PIN code. the PIN number is 28217. To enter this, one simply rotates the control knob until the "2" flashes. Pressing the knob in will now enter the number and cause a * to be displayed on the bottom line of the display. The control knob is now rotated to where the "8" flashes. Pressing the knob in enters the number and causes the bottom line of the display to **. The rest of the numbers are now entered until the bottom line displays *****

The knob is now rotated to the word "ENTER". The knob is pressed in and the PIN code is entered. The detector can now be switched on and off as many times as is required for a period of 48 hours. This will render stolen Pulse Devils useless to a thief. There is, of course, a factory back door code in case anyone forgets their PIN number. The detector can be reset upon verification of ownership.

Once the detector is turned on the main menu is displayed. The menu has the following options which appear one at a time by rotating the control knob:

"Operate"

"Default Settings"

"Manual Settings"

"Stored Settings"

"Shutdown"

The option is selected by pressing the control knob in.

OPERATE MODE

Selecting the "operate" mode reloads the control settings which were in place when the detector was last switched off. You are all ready to detect.

DEFAULT SETTINGS

Selecting "Default Settings" provides a large number of factory preset control settings for different types of detecting such as

"Prospecting", "Relic Hunting", "Coin Hunting", "Beach Hunting" and conditions such as "Neutral Ground" "Mineral Ground" "Extreme Ground" and "Salt Ground".

The default settings offer a starting point to set the detectors controls.

MANUAL SETTINGS

Selecting "Manual Settings" allows the user to select and change any or all of the detectors controls and settings. Here is the list of the user accessible controls on the PD.

Threshold,

Ground Balance,

RX Gain, (similar to sensitivity)

Automatic Retune Speed,

Discrimination,

Audio Tone,

Audio Volume,

Sample Delay,

Noise Tuning (adjusts out interference by varying the operating frequency),

Display Backlight (setting can be set from OFF to full brightness in steps),

Automatic or Non Automatic Tuning Select (ON - OFF),

Transmit Pulse Width Selection:

250us

500us

750us

1000us

ON-OFF POWER SWITCHING

There is also a Battery Voltage display which displays the battery voltage with a resolution of 0.1 Volts.

STORED SETTINGS

Selecting the "Stored Settings" allows the user to store the detectors current settings along with a simple name tag for use on a future return trip. The detector can store dozens of these stored settings. A note pad memory is also provided for the user to enter the GPS location next to the name tag. This allows the instant recall and loading of all the detectors settings for any particular site.

The detector's settings are stored automatically when the detector is told to shutdown. Turning the detector back on reloads these settings. The memory's used are all non volatile types. The will store their data without a battery being installed in the detector.

SHUTDOWN

The Pulse Devil uses a software shutdown. Selecting "Shutdown" causes the detector to load its settings into memory and then shut off the power from the battery via an electronic switch. An audio low battery alert sounds a sharp beep once every thirty seconds until the critical battery voltage is reached and the detector shuts down to avoid over discharging of the battery pack.

The Pulse Devil has a built-in battery charger. An AC cord and a car cigarette lighter cord / plug provide charging from 90VAC to 240VAC 50/60Hz or a 12VDC to 24VDC vehicle battery.

The battery pack can be charged in place or simply replaced in the field.

For the European or the deluxe versions, there is also a Target ID or TID. The LCD display now displays the target ID in super large, easy-to-read numbers. The number is negative for ferrous and positive for non ferrous.

The TID provides the same number for the same type of target just as the TID circuits found on many high end VLF detectors do. The TID is quite accurate.
As a final note, the Pulse Devil in the picture that is posted does not have the graphics on it as the production model will.

This information was taken from the Minelab Mods Website. They are based in Western Australia, and a good source of information.

Best,

Mike

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Note this quote: "does not have variable discrimination but has still has iron /non iron discrimination". Sounds like it's going to be like the GS5, where..... yeah ... you can pass iron if you like. But to do so means you're also missing high conductors. This is the big pitfall of the whole pulse saga, is that iron and high conductors have been indistinguishable to a pulse. To a nugget hunter, or gold jewelry (beach) hunter, this is not a problem. But to a land hunter, who doesn't want to miss those buckles, coins, etc.... it is a problem.

Me

Aug 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre
It looks like all the important stuff has already been posted here so I'll just say THANK YOU to gollum for posting this info.

Also, I'll add my agreement to bakergeol's comment "it will represent the the next generation of MDs beyond VLFs."

That is really the important thing here.

I mean, let's face it guys (persons), we've been playing the "bigger and better" game too long. Those of us who buy lots of detectors are really tired of new boxes with the same old cereal inside (if you get my drift?).

MB

Charles (Upstate NY)

Jun 5, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer
while it may be able to ID iron, it can not differentiate them from high conductors, right? So to pass iron, you'd also be passing penny/dime, quarters, etc... right?

No, the PD can disc out iron and that includes big iron like rusty can lids which false high like a coin on many machines, yet it will still get coins.

Is the PD going to be the same? or will it loose depth on the high conductors, so that, in effect, it's no deeper than current VLF depth on penny/dime type targets? (ie.: a trade-off for the ability to ID iron)

This question isn't quite this simple. PI's typically go deeper on low conductive targets and the PD gets some depth on low conductive targets thats sick. So how about silver? Well there is a trade off, if the machine is optimised for ultimate depth on low conductive targets then something has to give and thats depth on high condutive targets. But Dave has been aware of this and the last time we spoke about this topic his goal was to at least match the depth on high conductive targets that the best VLF's get today. But thats not the whole story not by a long shot.

Depth falls off sharply for even the mighty Explorer is some types of soil, yet PI's couldn't care less about the soil. Except for all but the most rediculous mineralized soils (e.g. that nasty stuff they have in Australia) its like the soil is not even there. Plus unlike again say the Explorer the PD's target ID is accurate to its full depth. Dave has also developed a different form of discrimination which may potentially allow getting targets that are hiding up next to iron and trash. Will it match or beat the Explorer in that area, only field tests can answer that. Finally there is coil size, a limitation with the Explorer because the larger the coil the more ground its gulping yet with the PD the ground is not an issue.

Note I'm pulling this from memory from many conversations I have had with Dave about the technology over the last couple of years. It may not be 100% accurate as of today, there have been a number of design changes and I think plans are for 3 different versions, a gold machine, a coin/relic machine, and a beach machine. Some will have features others dont, etc.

Charles

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Tom_in_CA said:
Note this quote: "does not have variable discrimination but has still has iron /non iron discrimination". Sounds like it's going to be like the GS5, where..... yeah ... you can pass iron if you like. But to do so means you're also missing high conductors. This is the big pitfall of the whole pulse saga, is that iron and high conductors have been indistinguishable to a pulse. To a nugget hunter, or gold jewelry (beach) hunter, this is not a problem. But to a land hunter, who doesn't want to miss those buckles, coins, etc.... it is a problem.

Tom
Charles has already covered this. Your quote is for the prospecting version which does not have variable discrimination- as he figures prospectors don't need it. The coin/relic version is different as seen in Dave's quote below.

"The European / US version is more of a general purpose detector. It
incorporates a variable discrimination control exactly like the
discrimination control on a VLF."

Again I can readily tell all high conductors from iron with my GS5. You have to be totally deaf or totally ignorant about the machine not to.

George

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
George, you say, regarding ability to distinguish high vs iron: "You have to be totally deaf or totally ignorant about the machine not to." Well, sure, to be second guessing tones, sounds, and such. Unlike a standard VLF, where...... when a nail is "out" it's OUT. Once again, the guy I saw trying a GS5 couldn't tell the difference. And when he pulled out the headphone jack, they both sure sounded the same to me. But like I say, I was manning the Explorer to show him deep marked signals (I purposefully marked a few iron false type signals to see what he'd say).

Then you say: "Your quote is for the prospecting version which does not have variable discrimination- as he figures prospectors don't need it." So you agree that this limitation (highs and iron will sound the same) WILL be present on the upcoming model?

Then you quote: ""The European / US version is more of a general purpose detector. It incorporates a variable discrimination control exactly like the
So the next incarnation will solve this?

Charles, you say: "yet it will still get coins." You mean, it can knock out iron, and still reject (if one wanted to) foil and get HIGH conductive coins?

Charles, yes, I can understand that pulse, even if it offered only the same depth for high conductors, that current VLF gives, is a benefit over VLF, since it overcomes ground minerals. But I was hoping that the pulse could get pulse depths WHILE discriminating, for purposes of high conductors. Ie.: I've seen pulse machine effortlessly pull penny/dimes at well over 1 ft. from our beaches. I've always thought "heck, if they could do that while nixing iron and foil-ish signals, that'd be a killer turf machine" But if they only replicate Explorer depths (barring nasty soil), then there seems to be no gain.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Tom_in_CA said:
George, you say, regarding ability to distinguish high vs iron: "You have to be totally deaf or totally ignorant about the machine not to." Well, sure, to be second guessing tones, sounds, and such. Unlike a standard VLF, where...... when a nail is "out" it's OUT. Once again, the guy I saw trying a GS5 couldn't tell the difference. And when he pulled out the headphone jack, they both sure sounded the same to me. But like I say, I was manning the Explorer to show him deep marked signals (I purposefully marked a few iron false type signals to see what he'd say).

Then you say: "Your quote is for the prospecting version which does not have variable discrimination- as he figures prospectors don't need it." So you agree that this limitation (highs and iron will sound the same) WILL be present on the upcoming model?

Then you quote: ""The European / US version is more of a general purpose detector. It incorporates a variable discrimination control exactly like the
So the next incarnation will solve this?

Charles, you say: "yet it will still get coins." You mean, it can knock out iron, and still reject (if one wanted to) foil and get HIGH conductive coins?

Charles, yes, I can understand that pulse, even if it offered only the same depth for high conductors, that current VLF gives, is a benefit over VLF, since it overcomes ground minerals. But I was hoping that the pulse could get pulse depths WHILE discriminating, for purposes of high conductors. Ie.: I've seen pulse machine effortlessly pull penny/dimes at well over 1 ft. from our beaches. I've always thought "heck, if they could do that while nixing iron and foil-ish signals, that'd be a killer turf machine" But if they only replicate Explorer depths (barring nasty soil), then there seems to be no gain.

Tom

With regards to the GS5 I am providing a link- nuggethunting forum which explains the technique of distinuishing iron from high conductors with the GS5. Iron- high tone- high conductor coins-low tones. My comments are down at the end of the page.
http://www.nuggethunting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3909&st=100

In fact if you read further down the link on page 7 you will see that Reg has expanded on it and produced a TID system for coins versus iron. I have posted the method many times(It is not in the instruction manuel) but a lot of people still are unaware of the technique. I discovered the method within a few days of testing my GS5 but yet a lot of people still have not learned their machines.

Regarding the PD. All I can repeat is what Dave has posted. I think you need to think like using a VLF and not a 2 tone PI. Non variable discrimination means that you can not set the PD to discriminate pull tabs which is not needed in the prospecting version. Only iron is discriminated in the prospecting version. Whereas in the coin/relic mode you can adjust the discrimination to reject pull tabs ect with variable discrimination.

Dave is coming out with several versions at the same time. Actually the US model coin and relic version is ready to go as all the testing has been completed. As the coin/relic version is going to be cheaper than the full PD1000, perhaps it will be competitive with the Explorer series.The prospecting version has still to be tested in OZ and changes are still possible for this model.

Regarding the performance of the PD. Well Steve H. is correct we will have to wait and see. I can't comment of the performance of the PD until I have one in my hands. All I have repeated is what was posted by Dave.

Regards
George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread