Pulse Devil Getting Closer!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like the Pulse Devil is about to be released in Australia to testers (for sale shortly after).

b31ayv3.jpg

Appears like all the bugs have been worked out, and security features have been perfected (to prevent reverse-engineering).

They have finally released some pictures of the actual unit:

Control Box:

ea2dau4.jpg

Display:

f294vn9.jpg

Here is an overview of the Detector:

THE PULSE DEVIL EXPLAINED: AN OVERVIEW

When designing a detector one is presented with a series of trade-offs. One such trade-off is the choice of how many user controls the detector will have. Most designers have limited the number of user controls for two reasons. The first reason is that many users don't like the idea of adjusting an instrument panel rivaling that found in the cockpit of a jet fighter. The other reason, though less obvious, is just as important. The controls take up space. This means that the control box gets both bigger and heavier. Large control boxes and lot of controls also make the detector expensive. To complicate things still further, the designer is faced with the fact that there are professional detector users in many parts of the world. Some professionals seek ancient coins in Europe while others seek relics from various sites before they rot away and are lost for ever. Still others are beating around the bush in Australia with a cold pack of tinnies on their back looking for the big one!!! The professional user wants to get everything they can from their detector. Such a person will spend the time to learn how to adjust any number of controls available to them in order to squeeze out those extra, all important few inches of depth. The truth is that a detector with a full complement of controls is potentially far more powerful than a detector equipped with a limited number of controls. The challenge was to make a detector which suited everyone. A detector which could be effectively used by a either a beginner or a professional. I decided that a make-over was in order.

The first order of business was to replace the Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery pack with a powerful Lithium Ion (Li-ion) type. The new pack is much lighter than the old one which made for a good start. I removed all the mechanical controls and mechanical switches from the Pulse Devil and replaced them all with tiny electronic chip pots. The chip pots are adjusted by one of two on board microcomputer chips. The removal of the mechanical controls and switches provided a control box front panel which sports only an LCD display and a single control knob.

USING THE DETECTOR

The single knob is mounted on the master control. This control knob can be turned clockwise or counterclockwise. The control knob can also be pushed in to actuate a built in momentary switch.

TURNING THE DETECTOR ON AND OFF

Pressing the knob in causes the LCD to display a message requesting that you enter a PIN number.

The numbers 0 - 9 are displayed in a row followed by the word "ENTER". Turning the control knob causes each number to flash on and off in turn as the knob is rotated. As an example, the operator used the last five digits of his drivers license number for his PIN code. the PIN number is 28217. To enter this, one simply rotates the control knob until the "2" flashes. Pressing the knob in will now enter the number and cause a * to be displayed on the bottom line of the display. The control knob is now rotated to where the "8" flashes. Pressing the knob in enters the number and causes the bottom line of the display to **. The rest of the numbers are now entered until the bottom line displays *****

The knob is now rotated to the word "ENTER". The knob is pressed in and the PIN code is entered. The detector can now be switched on and off as many times as is required for a period of 48 hours. This will render stolen Pulse Devils useless to a thief. There is, of course, a factory back door code in case anyone forgets their PIN number. The detector can be reset upon verification of ownership.

Once the detector is turned on the main menu is displayed. The menu has the following options which appear one at a time by rotating the control knob:

"Operate"

"Default Settings"

"Manual Settings"

"Stored Settings"

"Shutdown"

The option is selected by pressing the control knob in.

OPERATE MODE

Selecting the "operate" mode reloads the control settings which were in place when the detector was last switched off. You are all ready to detect.

DEFAULT SETTINGS

Selecting "Default Settings" provides a large number of factory preset control settings for different types of detecting such as

"Prospecting", "Relic Hunting", "Coin Hunting", "Beach Hunting" and conditions such as "Neutral Ground" "Mineral Ground" "Extreme Ground" and "Salt Ground".

The default settings offer a starting point to set the detectors controls.

MANUAL SETTINGS

Selecting "Manual Settings" allows the user to select and change any or all of the detectors controls and settings. Here is the list of the user accessible controls on the PD.

Threshold,

Ground Balance,

RX Gain, (similar to sensitivity)

Automatic Retune Speed,

Discrimination,

Audio Tone,

Audio Volume,

Sample Delay,

Noise Tuning (adjusts out interference by varying the operating frequency),

Display Backlight (setting can be set from OFF to full brightness in steps),

Automatic or Non Automatic Tuning Select (ON - OFF),

Transmit Pulse Width Selection:

250us

500us

750us

1000us

ON-OFF POWER SWITCHING

There is also a Battery Voltage display which displays the battery voltage with a resolution of 0.1 Volts.

STORED SETTINGS

Selecting the "Stored Settings" allows the user to store the detectors current settings along with a simple name tag for use on a future return trip. The detector can store dozens of these stored settings. A note pad memory is also provided for the user to enter the GPS location next to the name tag. This allows the instant recall and loading of all the detectors settings for any particular site.

The detector's settings are stored automatically when the detector is told to shutdown. Turning the detector back on reloads these settings. The memory's used are all non volatile types. The will store their data without a battery being installed in the detector.

SHUTDOWN

The Pulse Devil uses a software shutdown. Selecting "Shutdown" causes the detector to load its settings into memory and then shut off the power from the battery via an electronic switch. An audio low battery alert sounds a sharp beep once every thirty seconds until the critical battery voltage is reached and the detector shuts down to avoid over discharging of the battery pack.

The Pulse Devil has a built-in battery charger. An AC cord and a car cigarette lighter cord / plug provide charging from 90VAC to 240VAC 50/60Hz or a 12VDC to 24VDC vehicle battery.

The battery pack can be charged in place or simply replaced in the field.

For the European or the deluxe versions, there is also a Target ID or TID. The LCD display now displays the target ID in super large, easy-to-read numbers. The number is negative for ferrous and positive for non ferrous.

The TID provides the same number for the same type of target just as the TID circuits found on many high end VLF detectors do. The TID is quite accurate.
As a final note, the Pulse Devil in the picture that is posted does not have the graphics on it as the production model will.

This information was taken from the Minelab Mods Website. They are based in Western Australia, and a good source of information.

Best,

Mike

Upvote 0

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the coolest thing about this detector is the logo. That's bitchin'.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i second that
looks like it will push threw few layers of mantel 8) 8) 8)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
For those who are not aware. The PD is a PI with accurate iron ID as well as TID. In the past PIs were known for incredible depth but as they lacked accurate iron discrimination and TID they were mainly restricted to nugget hunting and beach hunting.

They will not be cheap. The last I heard over $2000. However it will represent the the next generation of MDs beyond VLFs. This site also has a lot of information about the PD in the archives or past posts. Dave Emery(designer of the PD) posts here.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/messages

My name is already on a dealer's list to obtain one.

George

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen estimates of them being anywhere from $1295 to $2900. Anywhere in that area is still a great deal for something that will put the GP4000 ($4000) to shame (if it is even half of what is touted).

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Let's cut to the chase: When they say "iron ID ability", unfortunately, while it may be able to ID iron, it can not differentiate them from high conductors, right? So to pass iron, you'd also be passing penny/dime, quarters, etc... right?

This has been the confusion on the supposed Whites new pulse that is coming out. I've seen the prototype, and got to put it through its paces in a turf hunt setting. If you asked the guy "can it pass nails?" He'd say "yes". That is a true statement. BUT nails and high conductors both sounded the same. So to pass iron, you'd be passing high conductors. I suppose if you were hunting gold jewelry, like as in beach hunting, that would be great, because beach hunters don't care about coins, etc.... But for turf hunting, maybe those guys do want the old silver.

So someone set me straight: will this PD be like that, or will be be able to tell iron from high conductors?

Also another question: Current pulse machines can usually get pennies, dimes, quarters, to about a foot perhaps on the beach, which is deeper than VLF discriminators can get them (with the inherent drawback of not being able to pass iron). BUT, those same pulses can get a nickel even deeper than that, because of course, pulse machines excell at low conductors. So it might get a nickel to 1.5 ft. verses the 1 ft. for a quarter, for instance. Is the PD going to be the same? or will it loose depth on the high conductors, so that, in effect, it's no deeper than current VLF depth on penny/dime type targets? (ie.: a trade-off for the ability to ID iron)

If the PD can: 1) get high conductors down to pulse fabled depths (1 ft. or so on penny/dimes), and 2) be able to do this while at the same time able to pass/ID iron, then I know some parks that are going to be giving up a lot more old silver, that is beyond the current depth range of the current turf power-house machines (Explorer, etc...)

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I noticed it the geotech forum he said he is only selling to mom and pop dealers.

Anyone know a place that might be selling this when they come out?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Tom_in_CA said:
Let's cut to the chase: When they say "iron ID ability", unfortunately, while it may be able to ID iron, it can not differentiate them from high conductors, right? So to pass iron, you'd also be passing penny/dime, quarters, etc... right?

This has been the confusion on the supposed Whites new pulse that is coming out. I've seen the prototype, and got to put it through its paces in a turf hunt setting. If you asked the guy "can it pass nails?" He'd say "yes". That is a true statement. BUT nails and high conductors both sounded the same. So to pass iron, you'd be passing high conductors. I suppose if you were hunting gold jewelry, like as in beach hunting, that would be great, because beach hunters don't care about coins, etc.... But for turf hunting, maybe those guys do want the old silver.

So someone set me straight: will this PD be like that, or will be be able to tell iron from high conductors?

Also another question: Current pulse machines can usually get pennies, dimes, quarters, to about a foot perhaps on the beach, which is deeper than VLF discriminators can get them (with the inherent drawback of not being able to pass iron). BUT, those same pulses can get a nickel even deeper than that, because of course, pulse machines excell at low conductors. So it might get a nickel to 1.5 ft. verses the 1 ft. for a quarter, for instance. Is the PD going to be the same? or will it loose depth on the high conductors, so that, in effect, it's no deeper than current VLF depth on penny/dime type targets? (ie.: a trade-off for the ability to ID iron)

If the PD can: 1) get high conductors down to pulse fabled depths (1 ft. or so on penny/dimes), and 2) be able to do this while at the same time able to pass/ID iron, then I know some parks that are going to be giving up a lot more old silver, that is beyond the current depth range of the current turf power-house machines (Explorer, etc...)

The PD can distinuish iron from high conductors. Do not compare current models with the PD. It is just like a VLF in that regard. The TID is similar to VLFs and according to Dave with ID with depth(not at the very very fringe of detector depth). I once asked Dave if the TID number for an object was the same at all depths- He said yes. As you know TID numbers on VLFs change with depth as they are reading mineralization the deeper you go.
By the way I can distinuish high conductor coins for any size steel or iron on my GS5 which is an Eric Foster design- I assume you probably can on the new Whites- It is a matter of knowing your machine- I imagine most users do not know how.

Second question- The PD has variable settings( e.g.pulse width) for coin/relic , prospecting and is not like current PIs which are usually geared only for gold hunting. It was tested in Europe for small hammered silver and passed muster. The Oz forum has some discussion about this in past posts.

Ericwt
If you go back to the archives in Prospecting in OZ- Dave lists some dealers. The dealer I signed up with is in Idaho(forgot the name

Gotta go to work
George

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
George, how deep will this PD get, for example, a penny/dime target? If it will get them down to what other pulses are currently getting on the beach (about a foot, for some pulse models/brands), and can do that while nixing nails, this machine will be a killer in some of the parks! I know guys that switched to Explorers, just to gain an extra inch on silver, and easily ponied up $1K just to get that extra inch. If the PD adds yet another inch for silver, while retaining disc. abilities, I know a lot of guys who would not hesitate to buy it, sight-unseen.

The GS5 couldn't get them any deeper than an Explorer. In fact, it probably got a marked penny/dime target at less depth than the Explorer. We were marking them and comparing them in a park..... 8" deep coin type targets, that were turning out be deep wheaties, for instance. The guy tried every setting changes he could think of, and none of them got it repeatable or ID-able as the Explorer. However, it was deadly and deep on nickels, foil, etc.. :)

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen any specifics as to performance, but Dave is touting MUCH greater performance than current VLF or Pulse Detectors.

If the word "MUCH" is true, what does that mean? 20% deeper? 40%? I am waiting for the actual test results from the first commercial models they give out to testers.

Best-Mike

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Guys,

As one of the three potential dealers for the Pulse Devil I figured I would inject some realism here. First off, the Pulse Devil is not out yet and nobody knows when it will be. The release has been "imminent" for over two years now.

Frankly, I have been skeptical of the Pulse Devil, as the claims made by Dave Emery for it seem too good to be true. These include depths rivaling the Minelab units along with discrimination rivaling VLF units. The best of both worlds. But the key here is the sole source of information is Dave Emery. I know of nobody else who has used the unit and publicly verified the claims. So in my opinion saying the Pulse Devil does this or does that is nothing but pure speculation.

That said, Dave Emery contacted me and offered me a dealership, based on my receiving a unit and verifying that is everything he claims it is. I was very taken aback by his 100% confidence in the unit and so I now am cautiously optimistic this is the real deal. But I have yet to see a unit and the never ending delays has me very much in the "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

I can promise you one thing. Dave says he picked me as a dealer due to my reputation as being a "straight shooter". He wants an honest evaluation of the Pulse Devil, as he said it "warts and all". So when and if I ever get my hands on one that is what you will get, an honest evaluation.

As a long-time detecting enthusiast I desparately want Dave to succeed with the Pulse Devil. But like most of you I have got my hopes up with too many new machines only to be let down so until I use a Pulse Devil myself and prove to myself it is all it is said to be I'll remain skeptical. But hopeful!

Steve Herschbach

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree 100%.

The latest I could find anything is mid March 2007, and then he was within a few weeks of getting the first detectors to his OZ Testers. As far as Ismael, he hasn't gotten one to my knowledge (and he is supposed to be one of the first).

Dave says that the current delay is getting the patent applications in (which he said he wasn't going to do, but decided to at the last minute). This is just one of several delays going back almost seven years since I first heard rumors about the Pulse Devil.

As Steve, I am hopefully confident that the long wait is about over (or so it seems).

Best-Mike

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
Got you post from another fourm.It gets around.I would love to read the field test on this one.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well here is the latest from Dave about his machines. This is from Doug's Prospecting in Oz website.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProspectinginOz/message/3864
If you are interested in the PD as well as gold prospecting I recommend that you join the Prospecting in Oz website.

From Dave

"The coin hunting versions of the detector use most of the Pulse Devil's
circuit methods. They are however tailored for coin and relic hunting.

The emphasis of these designs has been to provide maximum depth while
discriminating. these detectors are fitted with a VLF style discrimination
control function and they sport a number of features.

The testing of the initial coin hunting designs has been extremely successful
in both Europe and here in the USA. The line of detectors being worked on and
currently being tested in the USA and Europe include the following:

PD1000 This is the prospecting version. it is designed to handle the worst
ground conditions. the PD1000 can also be used for coin and relic hunting as
it is equipped with a full range VLF style discrimination control function.
The PD1000 uses a single master control hence the term control function.

The PD1020SD or Surf Devil is waterproof and is designed to find jewelry and
coins in the surf. This detectors functions include a full range VLF style
discrimination control. It also has a ground balance control for inland use.

The PD1030 is a light weight PI motion detector which is designed primarily as
a deep seeking travel detector for coin and relic hunting. This detectors
functions include a full range VLF style discrimination control and a ground
balance control. The PD1030 comes in it's own small travel pack."

Tom - I can not answer your questions as depth figures for coins have not been
released by Dave.

I too am hoping that Dave will succeed and that his information that he
has released about the PD lives up to our expectations. I also admit some bias as
I have been following his progress for years and do believe he has something here.

George

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
how much you think?Sounds close to a minelab.

P

prospectinginoz

Re: Pulse Devil Getting Closer! the Pulse Devil Nemesis announced!

dunn1866 said:

Dave has just announced the Pulse Devil Nemesis on my forum. This is the Pulse Devil but without all the bells and whistles Eg it does not have variable discrimination but has still has iron /non iron discrimination .It has exactly the same performance as the PD but is a basic and very to easy to use,lightweight Pi detector.The great thing is that it will be even cheaper than the Pulse Devil!
Best regards to all forum members,
Doug

P

prospectinginoz

Re: Pulse Devil Getting Closer! the Pulse Devil Nemesis announced!

prospectinginoz said:
dunn1866 said:

Dave has just announced the Pulse Devil Nemesis on my forum. This is the Pulse Devil but without all the bells and whistles Eg it does not have variable discrimination but has still has iron /non iron discrimination .It has exactly the same performance as the PD but is a basic and very to easy to use,lightweight Pi detector.The great thing is that it will be even cheaper than the Pulse Devil!
Best regards to all forum members,
Doug

I was going to wait to announce the fact that the coin and prospecting
version is different from the full featured PD1000.

I knew that to announce a new detector before the first one hits
Australia would be to invite the local ML scarecrow's to come out of
the woodwork hissing hate and ridiculing me. Well so be it.

I believe that this is the best time to update everyone.

The prospecting version and the coin and relic versions are both an
offshoot of the PD1000.

The PD1000 is bigger and heavier as well as much more expensive for me
to build. Not that this presents any problems. The PD1000 is the
detector for those who hunt for coins and relics as well as using
their detectors for prospecting.

The PD1000 is indeed a true multi mode detector. It has a variable
discrimination control, there are also coin and relic modes in
addition to a prospecting mode. The PD1000 has two on board computers,
various memories and lots of other features.

My initial plan was to manufacture only two detectors. The plan was to
make the PD1000 and the Surf Devil.

OK, what changed? Those who know me will tell you that I ALWAYS listen
to what people say. The call went up loud and clear that most people
wanted an option to the PD1000.

I received dozens of emails from Australia and a few hundred from the
USA asking me to consider that I provide the following:

1, provide a detector that is simple to use. People Don't want to read
a manual in order to learn how to use their detector.

2, provide a detector that is cheaper. (I received dozens of email's
on this one) Many people simply cannot afford a high end detector.
Many more only get to go prospecting once or twice a year on their
holidays and cannot justify the high cost.

3, Make it smaller and easy to carry.

Who wants to carry a heavy detector all day in the bush? The beer is
heavy enough to carry without having to haul a heavy detector around.

OK, so when I considered that 95% of detectors sold in Australia are
only used for nugget hunting the above requests began to make perfect
sense to me.

Why should an Australian pay out for a detector when he will only ever
use a third of it's features? Why should a coin hunter in England pay
for a prospecting mode when he will never use it. (not many gold
nuggets to be found in England).

I have received even more email from Europe and the USA asking me to
provide the same option for a coin and relic detector.

Due to the input from my potential customers I decided to make both a
dedicated prospecting detector as well as a coin and relic hunter. The
multi-mode PD1000 will of course be available as will the Surf Devil.

The new detectors will be in a class called the Pulse Devil "Nemesis".

These dedicated detectors have the exact same depth as the PD1000 and
both use the proprietary Pulse Devil discrimination method.

The prospecting version has the full pulse width selection as well as
the new patent pending iron - non iron reject circuitry. In short it
is all you need for nugget hunting. It will also do fine on coins and
jewelry at the beach but it has no variable discrimination control.

The controls have regular knobs. There is a high precision ten turn
ground control which has a really nice industrial type turns counter
dial. All the PD1000 coils will work on the Nemesis.

The Nemesis is no stripped down version of the PD1000. It is just as
powerful as the PD1000 but it is without all the bells and whistles.

The coin and relic version of the Nemesis has been in Europe for the
past two weeks. Trevor reports that it is working like a dream. He is
digging holes just as deep as he has been digging with the PD1000
prototype. He is becoming a very serious detectorist and has already
got himself a nice collection of finds.

The electronics for the coin and relic Nemesis is ready to go at this
time as is the Surf Devil's electronics. There is one final issue
regarding the Surf Devil's waterproof case but that is expected to be
resolved quite shortly.

The Surf Devil is itself a dedicated mode detector. The electronics
are very similar to the coin and relic version of the Nemesis.

the PD1000 and the dedicated prospecting detectors are also production
ready pending a few expected minor modifications that the upcoming
testing in Oz should point out.

What does all this mean to the prospecting community?

The Nemesis is smaller, cheaper and has the same depth and prospecting
discrimination capabilities as the PD1000. The price is yet to be set
but it will obviously be below the price of the PD1000. (The PD1000 is
about half the price of a new detector from brand X).

You may have got a hint about the Nemesis from a series of posts made
a while back asking you about your thoughts on a small travel sized
detector.

I will post photographs as soon as I get time to take a break here.

As you can see, I have been and I remain quite busy here. Dave. * * *

Doug

ericwt

Feb 8, 2004
I have been hearing rumors it will be out before December.

Anyone want to confirm or deny this?

P

prospectinginoz

ericwt said:
I have been hearing rumors it will be out before December.

Anyone want to confirm or deny this?

Yes Dave hopes to have it out well before December.
I hope to start some testing in oz in August and Dave hopes to come to OZ in the same month.
Regards,
Doug

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Just in time for Christmas!!! I hope.Move over boys!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread