Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AugustMoose87
  • 2 Post By ColonelDan
  • 1 Post By AARC
  • 1 Post By cudamark
  • 2 Post By CASPER-2

Thread: Florida Beach Help

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
    253 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Florida Beach Help

So, I've done loads of detecting with my Xterra 705 here in Colorado, doing coin shooting, relics, jewelry recoveries, property marker locates,etc in all kinds of soil. Only thing I haven't succeeded at yet is gold prospecting, but I also haven't spent a ton of time on that either. It's looking like I might get to take a trip to Florida around Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to brush up and prepare for the new environment. I'm re-reading my manual and "understanding your xterra" as we speak, but and advice (general or machine specific) would be great. This will be my first salt water/ REAL beach hunt (I've done a few fresh water swim beaches here).

The only water-proof coils I currently have are 3kHz concentric 9", 7.5kHz concentric 9" and 18.75kHz DD 15". Are one of these a good option, or should I use this as an excuse to get a new coil? Or should I just stay out of the water and bring something else?

Any suggestions for the area around Vero Beach and Orland (or anyone wanting to get together) would be great as well.
    psexton1967 likes this.
    Metal Detecting bucket List
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

Charter Member
    us
    Colonel

Jan 2014
    Central Florida
    CTX 3030; EQX 800; Excal II
    685 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    For dry sand yes, for wet salt sand and surf, you're going to be challenged. Single frequency machines don't do as well in salty environments. Also, suggest you keep the control box covered and protected from the salt spray of the beaches.

Good luck...and welcome to Florida.
    AARC and cudamark like this.
    ~The Challenge: Big Beach; Little Coil; Tiny Targets ~

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"~ Leonardo da Vinci

us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Espiritu Santo de Tampa - La Florida
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    44359 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelDan View Post
    For dry sand yes, for wet salt sand and surf, you're going to be challenged. Single frequency machines don't do as well in salty environments. Also, suggest you keep the control box covered and protected from the salt spray of the beaches.

Good luck...and welcome to Florida.
    Yeah... what Col. Dan said.
    The_Piratess likes this.
    Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...l-welcome.html

us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    6867 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Bring something else if that's an option. You need something with more than one operating frequency. Something designed for a salt water beach and waterproof would be best....such as a CTX, Excalibur, CZ21, or BHID. If you're not going into the water deeper than your calves, you can use other non-waterproof machines like the Sovereign, Explorer, E-trac, CZ3D, Etc, but, as mentioned, protect it from salt spray and tether it so that if you accidentally drop it, it won't hit the water. All modern coils designed for these machines are waterproof.
    CASPER-2 likes this.
    "jus cuz it's wrote down, don't make it so"

Jan 2014
    28 times
    You could also use an AT pro or MX sport. Both good for about ten foot of water. Sen not the best but have seen rings found with them.

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    253 times
    Sadly I'm the only metal detectorist I know, so I don't have much of an option to bring something else. Long term I'd like to upgrade to a CTX, but I don't think that will happen before then
    Last edited by AugustMoose87; Aug 03, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

us
    Aug 2017
    WestCoast-FL
    Minelab Equinox 600
    74 times
    I agree with the other posters on machines for the various beach environments.
    But another thing to consider that you will need (just to make sure you thought about it) is a good sand scoop (for dry sand) and water scoop (for wet sand).
    If you want something to do both, you can certainly do that too - just keep in mind the best wet sand scoop is usually pretty heavy for a long day on dry sand.
    Lots of opinions on the best ones, but my guess is you just need something to have fun with on dry & wet so try not to break the bank, but also consider that most dry-sand rated scoops are only going to do so much before breaking (in wet sand).
    I know West Coast FL has places to rent machines & scoops, so maybe do some digging (see what i did there?) for the East Coast FL area and see if that's an option for you on the wet-machine, or the scoop.
    Last edited by GroundBalanced; Aug 04, 2017 at 04:49 PM.

us
    Apr 2013
    Florida
    Xcal Xterra's DF
    177 times
    I use my 705 with the HF Elliptical coil on FL. beaches all the time, but dry sand only!
    There are MD shops that rent detectors, you might check that out. I know of a couple, but on the west coast near Tampa.
    SS

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    14615 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustMoose87 View Post
    Sadly I'm the only metal detectorist I know, so I don't have much of an option to bring something else. Long term I'd like to upgrade to a CTX, but I don't think that will happen before then
    Beach and Shallow Water
    you never know - if you ask someone down there if they want to hook up - they might have a spare water machine you can try
    think some dealers down there might have rentals too
    The_Piratess and TerryC like this.
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Sep 2014
    Longmont, CO
    253 times
    I have [I]A[/I ] scoop that I got with my machine, but it isn't anything special. I think based on its performance it's a dry scoop, but I've used it in both with no issues.

I'm going to look in to some rentals, but some of my searching indicated in the general area, that water is off limits... high tide to low tide was all you could detect (so obviously I may still be dealing with wet sand)
    Pirate/Spanish Treasure
    Gold Nugget
    Tellurides
    X Silver Ore
    Gold Jewlery
    X Silver Jewelry
    Gold Coin
    Silver Coin
    Trade Dollar
    Eisenhower Dollar
    Coin from the 1800's
    Indian Head Penny
    Buffalo Nickel
    X Wheat Penny
    X Miners Tag
    Tax Token
    Store Token
    X A Gun
    A Stash of some kind

us
    May 2014
    Gastonia, NC
    Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
    142 times
    Agree with coldan
    I'm not bad, but the bad don't mess with me

us
    Feb 2014
    Ohio and Florida
    CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils, Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 w 11" and 15" coils, Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pro Find 35 Pointer Vibra-Tector 730 w 4" coil, Fisher F-Pulse Pointer
    1508 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Osmar View Post
    You could also use an AT pro or MX sport. Both good for about ten foot of water. Sen not the best but have seen rings found with them.
    This comment does not apply to salt water.
    Metal Detecting Goal in Life is to Find Wife a 2ct Diamond Ring (so she'll be quiet about all my metal detecting).

Mar 2014
    SWFL
    X-terra 705
    86 times
    Fellow Coloradoan, I used my xterra 705 on that same beach in January and it did ok. I was finding things very deep in both dry and wet sand around vero and wabasso. you can detect any of the dry sand as long as its not turtle egg area. I was using a Cors strike which is very similar to your 15" DD. Ground balancing the wet sand was a bit tricky and I'm sure not ideal, but it will still let you find stuff if it's there to be found. Search my posts for my full write up on the coil and the beach! Good Luck! By the way, after hanging down there a bit, the wife and I have decided we are making the move to FL next summer, tired of the snow and cold and lack of boating here.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2007
    Colorado
    Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
    935 times
    Metal Detecting
    I moved here from Cocoa Beach. After evacuating a few times due to hurricanes, all the insurance companies bailed on writing any new policies. Good luck on the beach hunt!

Sponsored Links