Florida Beach Help

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I've done loads of detecting with my Xterra 705 here in Colorado, doing coin shooting, relics, jewelry recoveries, property marker locates,etc in all kinds of soil. Only thing I haven't succeeded at yet is gold prospecting, but I also haven't spent a ton of time on that either. It's looking like I might get to take a trip to Florida around Thanksgiving, so I'm trying to brush up and prepare for the new environment. I'm re-reading my manual and "understanding your xterra" as we speak, but and advice (general or machine specific) would be great. This will be my first salt water/ REAL beach hunt (I've done a few fresh water swim beaches here).

The only water-proof coils I currently have are 3kHz concentric 9", 7.5kHz concentric 9" and 18.75kHz DD 15". Are one of these a good option, or should I use this as an excuse to get a new coil? Or should I just stay out of the water and bring something else?

Any suggestions for the area around Vero Beach and Orland (or anyone wanting to get together) would be great as well.

Upvote 0

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For dry sand yes, for wet salt sand and surf, you're going to be challenged. Single frequency machines don't do as well in salty environments. Also, suggest you keep the control box covered and protected from the salt spray of the beaches.

Good luck...and welcome to Florida.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For dry sand yes, for wet salt sand and surf, you're going to be challenged. Single frequency machines don't do as well in salty environments. Also, suggest you keep the control box covered and protected from the salt spray of the beaches.

Good luck...and welcome to Florida.

Yeah... what Col. Dan said. :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring something else if that's an option. You need something with more than one operating frequency. Something designed for a salt water beach and waterproof would be best....such as a CTX, Excalibur, CZ21, or BHID. If you're not going into the water deeper than your calves, you can use other non-waterproof machines like the Sovereign, Explorer, E-trac, CZ3D, Etc, but, as mentioned, protect it from salt spray and tether it so that if you accidentally drop it, it won't hit the water. All modern coils designed for these machines are waterproof.

Ed Osmar

Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could also use an AT pro or MX sport. Both good for about ten foot of water. Sen not the best but have seen rings found with them.

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly I'm the only metal detectorist I know, so I don't have much of an option to bring something else. Long term I'd like to upgrade to a CTX, but I don't think that will happen before then

Last edited:

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the other posters on machines for the various beach environments.
But another thing to consider that you will need (just to make sure you thought about it) is a good sand scoop (for dry sand) and water scoop (for wet sand).
If you want something to do both, you can certainly do that too - just keep in mind the best wet sand scoop is usually pretty heavy for a long day on dry sand.
Lots of opinions on the best ones, but my guess is you just need something to have fun with on dry & wet so try not to break the bank, but also consider that most dry-sand rated scoops are only going to do so much before breaking (in wet sand).
I know West Coast FL has places to rent machines & scoops, so maybe do some digging (see what i did there?) for the East Coast FL area and see if that's an option for you on the wet-machine, or the scoop.

Last edited:

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my 705 with the HF Elliptical coil on FL. beaches all the time, but dry sand only!
There are MD shops that rent detectors, you might check that out. I know of a couple, but on the west coast near Tampa.
SS

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly I'm the only metal detectorist I know, so I don't have much of an option to bring something else. Long term I'd like to upgrade to a CTX, but I don't think that will happen before then

Beach and Shallow Water
you never know - if you ask someone down there if they want to hook up - they might have a spare water machine you can try
think some dealers down there might have rentals too

OP
OP
AugustMoose87

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have A[/I ] scoop that I got with my machine, but it isn't anything special. I think based on its performance it's a dry scoop, but I've used it in both with no issues.

I'm going to look in to some rentals, but some of my searching indicated in the general area, that water is off limits... high tide to low tide was all you could detect (so obviously I may still be dealing with wet sand)

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You could also use an AT pro or MX sport. Both good for about ten foot of water. Sen not the best but have seen rings found with them.

This comment does not apply to salt water.

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Coloradoan, I used my xterra 705 on that same beach in January and it did ok. I was finding things very deep in both dry and wet sand around vero and wabasso. you can detect any of the dry sand as long as its not turtle egg area. I was using a Cors strike which is very similar to your 15" DD. Ground balancing the wet sand was a bit tricky and I'm sure not ideal, but it will still let you find stuff if it's there to be found. Search my posts for my full write up on the coil and the beach! Good Luck! By the way, after hanging down there a bit, the wife and I have decided we are making the move to FL next summer, tired of the snow and cold and lack of boating here.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I moved here from Cocoa Beach. After evacuating a few times due to hurricanes, all the insurance companies bailed on writing any new policies. Good luck on the beach hunt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions