no silver in miami, is it too new?

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
i have yet to find a silver coin. could it be that miami florida is just too new a city? most of the city was built in the 20's or later. the few places that go back to the 1800s are either off limits of have a building in the way of my metal detecting. i figured places that go back to at least the 50's should yeild a silver dime or quarter at some point.

i've found about 5 wheats since i got my coinstrike. lots of clad but not a single pre 1964 silver coin. i've been hitting schoolyards going back to the 50's for example and always come back with a few bucks in clad but thats the extent of it.

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
If there is Wheaties, then there is silver. The last of the silver coins were in 1964 and we all have coins in our pockets that are a few years old. So there is silver without a doubt.

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White XL Pro; Minelab Excalibur; Garrett Infinium; Garrett 250; Fisher CZ-3D; Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find a few silver coins a year at older parks in Miami- usually dimes, but have found some quarters and half dollars. Oldest was 1927.

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
If I was in Florida, I would hit the beach everytime, after a tropical storm.

Forget the silver.... go for the gold.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
re-tek,

I've hit south miami beach several times but like you, have never found any pre-64 coins. :-[ Does the sand get renewed frequently? ???

I have a treasure huntin trip lined up this month! 8) And plan to detect the you know what out of South Miami! :D

August 29, 30, 31, I'll have all day to detect beaches from south miami to west palm. 8) I hope to be up before sunrise, on the beach, catchin low tide. ;D And then catchin low tide later in the afternoons. :o

Believe me, I'll be postin my finds, trash & treasure! :D

Here's a pic of me last October, south miami. :o

Attachments

• South Miami Beach.JPG
    South Miami Beach.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 226
  • South Miami Beach.JPG
    South Miami Beach.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 239
OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
Gypsy huntress said:
I find a few silver coins a year at older parks in Miami- usually dimes, but have found some quarters and half dollars. Oldest was 1927.

old parks eh? i've been to sewell park, lumus park (the one with fort dallas on it), alice wainright park, and i havent found any silver yet. dont think you can get much older than those parks in miami.

something aint right here... i've found silver rings but no coins... ???

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
What are you digging in? I imagine deep coins on land in Florida are probably the rule not the exception if you are digging in unstable ground. I believe one Florida hunter documented 8" coins which were only 20 years old.

George

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
today i dug a copper memorial penny on a coastline at about a foot. 6"-8" memorial pennies are fairly normal for me. conversely today i found a wheaty laying on the ground at the same park i dug the memorial penny at a 1 foot. dont think depth is a problem!

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
White XL Pro; Minelab Excalibur; Garrett Infinium; Garrett 250; Fisher CZ-3D; Tesoro Silver Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted all the parks that re-tek has mentioned and that is where I find silver. Most silver not that deep- 4-6 inches. I use a White's 6000 pro.

I hunt parks when it gets too hot for dry sand hunting or the water is too rough.

I have friends that get permission from owners of private homes and have found coins from the mid 1800's.

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
Gypsy huntress said:
I have hunted all the parks that re-tek has mentioned and that is where I find silver. Most silver not that deep- 4-6 inches. I use a White's 6000 pro.

I hunt parks when it gets too hot for dry sand hunting or the water is too rough.

I have friends that get permission from owners of private homes and have found coins from the mid 1800's.

i must be doing something wrong then. i've found coins at all those parks but not a single silver anything yet. maybe its time to setup a coin garden and see whats up with my machine.

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I airtest my machines on a regular basis. Some of my friends do have a test garden to practice with. I have also found silver coins out on South Beach after cuts have developed-pretty well corroded and need electrolysis to clean them. Now remember, I don't find silver every time that I am out.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Me and my buddy hunted all those old Miami parks in the late 70's and 80's. It was great. ;D Lots of silver. :D It seems to be much harder now. There are too many clad coins in the ground. You should still be able to find some. Try old houses...front yards...next to sidewalk or driveway. You will not find silver coins at the beach unless there is a cut or trench. I worked a nice trench on Hollywood Beach a while back.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,56837.0.html

OP
OP
re-tek

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
great news! found a 48' dime today at one of the parks. detector works, operator seems to be working, the silver just aint as common as i wish it was.

Gypsy huntress

Aug 10, 2007
West Palm Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats. You have now broken the silver coin barrier. More will follow.

T

Tall-paul

theres some awesome gold in florida, ive had a little, and i want more plenty more,, iam trying to sus out new places were the indian tribes roamed, i have one place yet to go too and may get lucky, theres been some awesome fossils and a few relics found there allready but they were not serious hunters, maybe just maybe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions