Best Coil for Relic Hunting with MXT

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been looking for a good Coil for Relic hunting with an MXT. Does anyone have a recommendation? Has anyone tried the Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400? Whites claim is that "This 8" x 14" coil is designed to enhance the deepseeking ability of DFX, MXT and M6 especially over difficult (mineralized) ground. DD coil construction reduces 75% of ground mineralization." Ground Mineralization can be a little extreme in place here and I need a good coil that can help out with this.

Upvote 0

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
pending on the area of relics, you may want a smaller coil as some areas have alot of mineralization/iron targets.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What size smaller coil? I see that there are a few options on size?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I am looking at the 4x6 eclipse. I have heard some pretty good things about the coil while relic hunting, as to better seperate because you are not covering so much area and you can get between some targets. With the bigger coils, you would tend to be going over more targets at once. Thats what I have found anyway, in my area around cellar holes, etc. there is alot of junk. However, if you are looking to relic hunt in field, then perhaps the larger coil would be better, as there will generally be less targets anyway. So I guess it depends what type of relics your after.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just as I suspected then,I'm going to need both a larger coil for hunting open fields to find CW camps and a smaller coil once I've found the camp, for getting around a lot of the iron junk you usually find.

John CA

Greenie
May 9, 2005
Bari
I have been using my MXT for about 4 years and this is just my opinion.

Hunting relics in Mineralized soil (reading 68 or more) clean site = 1400 Deep Scan - Trashy site = 6x10 Eclipse
Hunting relics in non-mineralized soil (reading 65 and below) clean site = 12" spider or Stock 950 coil Trashy site = 5.3 coil.
In non-mineralized soil the stock coil & Spider coil will get better depth than the 1400 deep scan, not by much but a little. In mineralized soil the 1400 DS is deeper than both the Stock & Spider coil by a fair amount.
So depending on you soil and site you are hunting it's best to have a variety of coils if possible, if not I still think the Stock coil is the best all around coil on the MXT followed by the 6x10 eclipse. Good Luck and HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread