Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone. Been lurking on here for a couple weeks and got the detecting bug. I'm in Nashville TN. I ordered an Ace 250 that should be arriving tomorrow, but in the meantime, I picked up a used Tesoro Compadre on Craigslist this morning for $75 so my boys can have one too. I got it home and put a fresh battery in it and excitedly took it in my small backyard of my townhouse. But I am getting constant chatter from it all over my backyard unless I crank it up to the max sensitivity reading. If I climb a hill behind my townhouse the chatter goes away entirely and I can then set it at the lowest sensitivity rating. Doesn't it seem that I should not have constant chatter from it in my backyard if I crank up the sensitivity halfway or so? Is there something wrong with it? Thanks for any help!

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any power lines or other electrical interference near your house?

OP
OP
N

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There aren't power lines but maybe there are other electrical interferences underground. So if I dial the sensitivity down to its lowest point, is it still going to locate items, or will it miss a ton of stuff?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If the Sensitivity is too low, say below 3, you will lose depth. Is there an underground electric Dog Fence, or CCTV at the complex? That messes with all detectors. You will RARELY use full sensitivity. In fact, too much will cause you to miss targets. Only go up to 7-8. You may end up giving the kids the Ace 250, and keeping the Compadre for yourself! :headbang:

OP
OP
N

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay that's helpful. Once the Ace comes I will see if I have to rank the sensitivity way down on it too in my backyard. Thamks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Listen to Terry S. He is the resident Tesoro expert. ╦╦Ç

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are talking about a Compadre, right? The only sensitivity adjustment on the Compadre is inside the box on a small pot, set by the factory. If you turned the single knob up, you increased the discrimination to the point that it should pick up very little, if anything, but that would make it run quieter. The Compadre is at its maximum sensitivity when the knob is just turned on - then increasing the knob increases the discrimination.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread