First Silver, First Ring. Same Day!

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I accidentally got hooked on metal detecting about three weeks ago. My father in law borrowed a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver to help us find lost nails from the facelift we're putting on our garage. Within the first ten minutes of pulling trash out of the ground with my sons by my side I knew I'd be buying a metal detector. Needless to say, there's an ACE 300 and a pro pointer 2 that should arrive here by Tuesday evening. In the meantime we've been poking around with the BH and we dug these today! First silver and first ring! About three feet from each other. It's a 1960 Canada dime and what looks to be a trash ring but we'll take it!

IMG_2973.JPG

P.S. I'd like to apologize to the members of the forum in advance for the hundreds of questions I'll be asking in the future.

Upvote 0

Chris krasnai

Aug 3, 2017
Bethlehem, Pa.
Detector(s) used
An oldie:)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know how you feel! I just started too and was tickled pink when I scanned my yard yesterday and found these items:)
I'm pretty sure the one thing is a old rusted up bolt, a chopped up by lawnmower penny and a blob of some sort of molten metal.:)) I just got a permit today to start searching park areas. I'm so excited!! Good luck to you!

OP
OP
N

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too am impatiently waiting to search the local park and original school house from the 1800's!

Coil-2-Soil

Mar 21, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds on any hunt. Finds like that will keep you coming back! HH

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. Cool.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking ring. Wet it, put some baking soda on it and firmly rub it between your thumb and finger for a short bit and rinse....could be silver? :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
N

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! I can't wait till the 300 comes in. I already plan on re-hitting the entire back yard. As far as the ring, ive attached a more detailed picture. The toning has me thinking it's got some nickel or copper in it. I'm not going to pretend to be a metallurgist though. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated. I'm currently out of baking soda at the moment. The kids killed a box of soda and a gallon of vinegar making volcanoes.
IMG_2980.JPG

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are off to a good start. Don't apologize for asking questions.

Nashvegas

Aug 9, 2017
Nashville TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705
Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! I've just newly caught the bug too. It sure is a blast.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are definitely in the right hobby and the right online community! TNet will help you greatly, and we love questions around here. There are some incredibly knowledgeable folks and I learn a lot just browsing the forums. Make sure you post your finds at Today's Finds!

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations. You're on a hot streak.

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finds. New to the hobby as well. Wish my first ring and silver were that big! But any ring and any silver is great to find any day.

H.H.

-TheMilDetector-

OP
OP
N

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My boys lost the ring!!! I set up a little treasure hunting adventure with them complete with a map and everything and in all the excitement one of them lost the ring! Good thing I know a guy with a metal detector...

Thanks for all the well wishes. I love doing this. Even if I can only get in a half hour or so after work. 3am with a headlamp, I'm still always trying to get out and dig. Had a love/hate thing with quite a bit of foil last night.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! This is a very fun hobby and sometimes things can be frustrating (like foil, pulltubs, etc) but that is part of it and you learn from it, pick them up, toss them and move on to the good stuff. You now have a target to find in the ring and will see how quickly it turns up or if they lost real good. You had a good start and congrats on that!:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
N

NuffaloBickel

Aug 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. I'm pretty sure whoever lived there before us had this great epiphany, "Ya know, I'll bet some poor schmuck, future resident is going to get into metal detecting one day.... I'm going to bury all of my used foil in this back yard." That's all I've been digging for two days! I'm still having a riot regardless.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread